Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Stellajella Wien

My beloved and spoiled 16 yrs old dachshund "Morschi " ( hungarian for breadcrumb) is obviously missing her life time companion Jancsi, who we had to put to sleep some months ago. 
I don´t want to upset her, just in case I am mistaken with my thought. 

She is very playful even in her age. 
I´ve been checking dog pounds in Hungary ( on the internet only) and found sooooo many lovely dogs. In fact, there is not one dog, that I would not take. I also went though some Austrian ones, but I think the poor dogs in Hungary do need help more, since in Austria dogs are not put to sleep in the animal shelters. 
Morschi is afraid of big, black dogs, even though she loved my german shepherd, and there is an unbelievable amount of big black dogs  to be rehomed. 
Morschi can be a bit bossy, like she was with Jancsi, so it needs to be a dog that is not dominating
I guess a puppy would too hyper for her, and an old one might be grumpy. 
All these thoughts... and no clue... 

Now, while browsing through http://www.illatosut.hu/ I found out, that it´s Budapest´s dog pound. Dogs that are caught are not wanted anymore are brought there. They have to be kept 14 days at least, in case the owner keeps looking for them. 
They actually only kill dogs, when they run out of space, and they chose the ones, that are there since a long time. They actually like the dogs...I guess. 
There are some organizations take out the dogs, that are there longest and rehome them in Germany, or keep them in animal shelters in Germany. 
And I found this one dog, this one poor, mistreated creature, that does not get out of my head: malnourished skindeseased and sick she is now in an animal hospitale.7069.jpg 

I tried to call the hospital, but don´t succeed. This poor creature is probably not a dog my Morschi would like- black and bigger than her- but I´d like to donate for her vet bill. 
I thought I´d show you this poor dog, not only because I know, that you all love dogs, but because for me it stands for all the poor creatures, mistreated by people. 

So you can see, how far I was side tracked in searching a companion for Morschi, and I am still not sure what to do. 

I wish y´all a wonderful day! 

Gaby bear_flower

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi gaby
What a wonderful thing to do! bear_thumb
I love dogs and have a working cocker spaniel at the moment.
I did have many years ago two sheep dogs which would have hated been apart.
It is only you that can decide on what you think is best.
All the best love :hug:
Kayx. bear_wub

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Gaby,
It just breaks my heart to see these poor animals so badly treated, I can never understand how any human could do such a thing.
Both of my dogs & my cat were rescue animals, and I love them dearly, they are all such fine fur babies and give me so much love, I don't know what I'd do without them.......
I think these abused & discarded animals need to be given a chance to find a loving home, something most of them have never ever had, it is just so very sad to see them in such  disgusting condition, they deserve some love and care in their lives....
As Kay said it is only you that can decide whether to take this poor dog, and of course you have to consider how your old dog will react, it's very hard but you'll make the right decision.
All the very best,
Denise.

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Hi Gaby, I know what you mean by getting side tracked when looking for one thing, that is how I manages to end up with three dogs!   Now I try to stay away from the sites we have here for re-homing dogs!  If not I would end up with a few more!      There is something lovely about his face  - it is so disheartening to see dog in that shape.  It just kills me that there are so many people that do not take responisiblity of their animals and allow them to end up in poor shape sometimes with unstable personalities/   It is very kind of you to take and active roll in helping him!

I do like the idea of getting another playmate/friend for Morschi.   My last two doggies (both Chow Chows)  were much older when I rescued my third dog.  Ranger was 14 and Meechee was 12.  Getting the third dog who was 6 months old at the time and a 1/4 thier size but brought so much life to them.   I was afraid that in their old age that they might not appreciate a younger dog but I was surprised at how much they loved her.   It was like they turned into puppies again!   Best decision I ever made!

Good luck and thank you for sharing!  Keep us updated on what happens!

Duff

puca bears puca bears

Hi Gaby
I have a couple of friends who have adopted dogs from Rumania - one locally - I met the dog after she had been with my friend for only a couple of days......and what a sweet dog! She was quite shy but just craved affection - it was as if she couldn't believe that someone wanted to be nice to her...........and she has settled in SO well with her new, loving family! The other two now belong to a friend in Sweden, so I haven't met them, but I hear they are also well, happy and VERY loving.
It is just so hearbreaking to see any dog, ( or rather, any ANIMAL) discarded, for whatever reason - but don't forget, there are rescues in every country - there was a feature a couple of nights ago on the BBC about English dog rescues
Sadly, it's a fact of life, and all we can do is try to help - maybe adopting a dog or cat, and perhaps donating the money from a bear sale or two to the Animal Welfare charities...........oh dear - getting gloomy here....
Gaby - good on you for thinking of this poor neglected dog - if you do adopt him, or one of the others - GREAT!
big huggies
Maria

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Poor baby!  get her out if you can. :hug:

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

That is Terrible, I think it is wonderful that you want to adopt a VERY needy dog. One of my Dogs was a rescue and I love him to pieces.. he had alot of issues (being afraid of people mostly) but he has came around quickly and is a wonderful loving dog. Good luck!!

Bear Hugs!
Melanie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've often thought what I'd do if we lost one of our dogs...... and I'm pretty positive I'd get another cuz I know I'd be left with one very lonely dog!

My parents got a 9 mo old pup for their 8 yr old dog who had stopped playing and was generally depressed all around. Well, the older dog became a puppy again after a few weeks of adjusting to that annoying little fur ball who'd just invaded his space!

So... I guess what I'm saying is that it might be an adjustment period but your dog will most likely be OK. I can't stress how important it will be for YOU to take charge when the new dog comes into your home. Set boundaries and limitations for both dogs... show the older one you are in charge.... might prevent him from being so dominant or territorial. It could take time and definitely patience!

Sounds like you are giving great thought to the type of dog you get and that's VERY important. Don't let it's poor puppy eyes, pitiful life story, etc. sway your decision. Get the dog and temperment that is best for you and Morschi!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

A responsible dog owner isn't going to bring a dog with serious behavioral issues (which is why many end up in shelters and is a result of their past) into their home with an older dog who has pushy, dominant tendancies without serious reprocussions. That is NOT fair to EITHER dog or the humans. I did NOT say there was anything wrong with a dog with a pitiful past. And adopting one is great... for the right person and right situation. But feeling sorry for it can not be the sole basis for picking that dog over another. She needs to pick a dog that is most apt to get along with her current  dog (and not bring disase or behavioral issues into the home) so she has a balanced, friendly, peaceful home. That's what DOGS need too... especially ones from pitiful/abusive/neglected backgrounds. They need a calm and peaceful environment in which to thrive, heal, gain confidence, etc. In fact... in this sort of situation... it is the human's responsibility to put what's best for the DOGS ahead of their own emotions.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Gaby,
All the questions you're asking yourself are all the right ones.  There's never a black and white or right/wrong answer with this stuff.  Being a mulitple dog owner for over 16 years you know your own situation the best and will pick a good companion for you and your Morschi. 
All of our pets but one are rescues.  Our beagle was originally homed to my grandfather, who found he could not keep up with the energetic nature of a young 2 year old beagle.  We didn't think we could take the beagle as the shelter said he was not good with other dogs, boy were they wrong.  I think they read his excited (typical beagle) howling and dancing around as aggression..not sure how they did that, but they did.  He's very good with every dog and person we've ever introduced him too AND he's the one we can take into any Petstore around here without issue. 

Do what you know is best for your family. Even if you can't adopt this poor neglected pup, maybe you were meant to help him/her in another way instead. Vet bill assistance, food donations, blanket donations are all welcomed at any shelter and many will have a list of "needs".  Sometimes you can sponsor a dog to keep it from being put down before it can find a home.

Good Luck with your search and bless you for looking to shelters where so many wonderful pets wind up.
:hug:  :hug:
~Chrissi

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I hate to see little animals that are treated so bad. It breaks my heart.
I donate to so many organizations for these poor souls, I would give millions if I had it.
You can see the pain in this poor sweeties face.
Good luck with what ever you decide to do. There are so many poor dogs out there that
need a loving home, I'm glad you will be helping one of them to find that home.  :hug:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

This poor dog is heartbreaking to look at. I understand your wanting to take him in and give him love. Only you know if that's right for your family. We've donated to dogs before who have been listed as needing surgery or medical attention. I'll be thinking about you while you're making your decision.

Stellajella Wien

Oh my dear ladies, you´re so wonderful!
I´m moved and overwhelmed by your sympathy for this poor creature.

I finally found a different phone number of Lelenc, the dog rescue people, who took the dog, and brought it to the vet.
Lelenc finally gave the dog a name: FAYE.

There I received the phone number of Krisztina, the lady who takes care of Faye now.
She said, that the poor baby has an inflammation of the uterus, which they cannot operate immediately, since all in all she is too weak.
Faye obviously is a husky mix, she only has about 25 pounds.
Apart from that she has demodikose and fungus.
They had to shave her, because she gets baths every day against her skin problems.
What the lady also said was, that finding a home for her is the least problem now.
It will take up to 3 months, until she might be ready for that, meanwhile they hope the best for her and try everything to rescue her.

Casa Animale, the organization, that rescues dogs from Illatos ut and then tries to rehome them in Germany, has a picture of her on the website with a link to several pix about her.
Underneath her picture I found the entry, that she has a “godfather” or “godmother” ( sorry, I can´t find a better word for that)
So obviously she moved people from the first moment on.
http://picasaweb.google.de/casaanimale/ … tAGB3FBVvw

Daphne, I guess, it´s that adjustment period I´m afraid of  bear_whistle ...an age issue *giggle* 10 years ago I would not have been afraid about something like that. Your 2 dogs are really made for each other, from what I can tell from the pix, and at the moment I´m quite pro new dog.

Chrissie, yes, I thought about this sponsorship first. I guess, healing her will be quite costly.

Marlys, thanx for your good thoughts!

Tami, thanx for your wishes, I´ll try!!

Melanie, it´s probably not with all the same, but I have the feeling, that they are very thankful for any good word.

Jenn, I´ll try! AND GOOD LUCK FOR YOU! :hug:

Maria, Romania might even be worse concerning the treatment of animals, but we must not forget, that in all these countries people are so poor, that no wonder they have no nerve for animals.
I was surprised to find out, how badly greyhounds are treated in the UK! I always saw the brits as very animal kind.

Denise, well, humans are mean to humans as well, so being mean to animals is probably even easier for some...*sigh*

Kay, hiya, I guess we didn´t meet yet! Nice to meet you! And I can relate to dogs not wanting to part. Aren´t they sweet?

Duff, I guess my doggy is plain bored. With her 16 years she is still very playful and apart from her fading eye sight, the vet said, that she is in extra ordinary shape.

Susan, thanx for your hugs! I admire your zoo!!! The most dogs I had at one time was 4 and it was wonderful to have a whole gang of dogs, all of different kinds. Now only one of them is left :(

I honestly don´t know now, how you could help, I guess a donation to Casa Animale would be best. But I´m still “investigating”.

Krisztina said, that she would not want to take money, as she is no organization. If I´d like to support her, she´d like dog linked things like dog beds, leashes and such.
I´ll try to find an animal shop on the web which maybe delivers to her…
What a smashing idea to make her a mascot for TT !
I really hope and pray for Faye that she´ll make it.
I´ll keep you posted!
Wishing all wonderful people and their wonderful animals a wonderful evening!

Gaby  bear_flower

I could not attach the picture of Faye, but you can find her on here: http://www.casa-animale.ag.vu/zuhause_g … garn1.html

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Gaby, bear_flower

What  lovely person you are to help this poor little dog.  I can see why you were so drawn to her, I think anyone would want to help her.  :hug:  My pets have been rescue animals and when I have been looking around the various rescue sites, RSPCA etc., I have wanted to rescue just about every cat or dog there!  All have quite sad stories to tell.  I say, you just have to "listen to your heart".  It will soon let you know . 

I wish you and little Faye all the best in the world, you both deserve it.

Big hugs. :hug:  :hug:

Marilyn bear_flower

K Pawz Guest

OH what a poor girl....I feel so awful when people just toss them aside, I see it on a daily basis, with the ones that come through my home and others homes.

I am glad to hear that Faye is in a loving foster home, and is being treated medically, and she is right adoption is the last problem right now, when we foster animals, all we want to do is help them get better and then worry about finding them a home afterwards. Fostering is difficult but so rewarding, it is hard to let them go but once you see how much of a difference you make in their lives, showing them love, compassion, and teaching them trust, it is easier to send them on to a new loving home where you know they will be cherished.

Thank you so much Gaby for looking into this little girl!

Anyone who wants to help out any of these animals there are so many rescues everywhere with stories just like Faye's just waiting for someone to find them....most of them need donations to help with the medical care for these animals, but more than that these rescues need foster homes, to help rehabilitate these animals and then find them forever homes...so please if anyone has any room in their homes for a temporary resident, please contact a rescue near you....yes some stay for longer than others, but it all comes part in parcel....I foster for a local rescue here, and I currently have 25 cats in my house, various ages, and various ailments....don't worry I am not the crazy cat lady though in a one room apartment, we have 3,000 square feet, for just my husband and I, the two dogs, and however many other animals need a temporary place to stay.

Hugs,
Krista

K Pawz Guest

Hey Susan, it sounds like you have a huge heart and I thank you so much for that! I did a bit of searching for you and there are a huge amount of dogs close to you that need a home just like Faye....here is a link to the rescues in your area http://www.pgaa.com/minnesota.html  any chance that you would be willing to be a foster home for a dog like Faye? I think you would be awesome and then you could physically partake in helping many dogs like Faye.....like I said monetary donations are awesome towards their health care, but the biggest thing these animals need is a safe place to go temporarily to get them out of abusive situations, and high kill shelters, and then to help them love and trust again....as I said I think you would be an amazing foster home, so if your interested please email one of the rescues and fill out their application....you will probably have to have a home check and an interview, but don't take offense to that they do it to ensure that it is going to be the best place for the animals and is just a formality...they have the animals best interest at heart....I hope you do go for it, foster homes are in high demand.
Hugs,
Krista

Stellajella Wien

Marily, how I can relate to this! It makes me so sad to know, that I cannot help every stray dog, every sock cat, every hopeless homelss person and every small bird that gets cought by a cat.....
thanx for your wishes!
:hug:

Krista, I remember, that you are a foster mom; thank you that you take care of all these sweeties!

Susan, I know that smile, that you´re talking about bear_original  and I can understand your feeling of wanting to have her...Kristas idea of fostermom does really sound great though!

And now the update on Faye:
I finally found a lady in Germany, who has some rescue dogs herself and who helps resue dogs from Hungary. She not only supports Faye now, because from the first moment on she knew, she wanted to help Faye.
Faye will stay at the place in Hungary for quite some time now, her wounds are slowly healing and they think, that she can be operated next week.Since her uterus is inflamed and sanious she will also be castrated.
I just saw, that there are new pix of her in this link: http://picasaweb.google.de/casaanimale/ … tAGB3FBVvw

I thank all you wonderful people for your good wishes and want to wish you all the best as well!!! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Gaby bear_flower

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Those are such awful, awful pictures; they brought tears. That poor baby. She certainly deserves the very best life with lots of spoiling when she's healthy enough to be placed in a forever home. I just cannot imagine the inhumanity of people to be so cruel. bear_sad

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Those pictures just make me cry, and to see all her ribs and bones is heartbreaking.  It is good to see that she is getting care and I would love to follow this story and see her finally well, with a new home.  That would be a dream come true.  I know there are so many dogs and cats out there that are mistreated and I hope there is a special place in he** for people like that - they have no heart or soul!!!

hugs,

Brenda

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Gaby, bear_flower

Oh my word,  what can I say.  When I joined this thread yesterday, I had only seen Faye on the photo you supplied but had not looked at the web link.  I sometimes try not to look at these because I get way too upset, but I forced myself to have a look a few minutes ago.  I could hardly believe what I was seeing, got myself quite upset  and can understand the overwhelming urge to help this poor little dog.  What a mortifying sharp contrast to the pictures I was viewing only a minute before supplied by Tami on the various "Cute Animal Pic of the Day" items.   Wouldn't it be the best thing ever if little Faye could reach that title .....  here's hoping and praying for her.

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Mikki Mikki, Cripple Creek Creative
Bethel, Ohio

Gaby, An awesome thing to do ....the little guy needs a home. We have an adopted chow...approx. 10yrs  and just got him a buddy ...a deserted very young hound dog.....wish we had done it sooner. Everybody needs a friend. Thank you for caring so much.Mikki,

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I'm so glad she found help.  I can't stand when animals are hurt. It breaks my heart.

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Heart breaking photos yet wonderful to know that someone is taking the time, love and effort to help her through this time.     I like the photo towards the end with her facing the camera, there is so much more life in her eyes!    I woudl also love to follow her story.  thank you for sharing!   And good luck wiht your decision on possibly adding a new friend to your home!

Duff

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Something to remember, the skin condition she has was not inflicted on her by someone.  Granted she came to the center, but much of the soring you are seeing is because her skin itches, and like a child, she will scratch and dig at herself attempting to get some relief.  I daresay the inflammed uterus and her overall depressed immune system opened her up to the skin infection (probably secondary to another allergy) and the fungal infection. 

When dogs are in this condition, even if they have a doting owner, they cannot keep weight on them.  The itching is maddening, and with the depressed immune system, oftentimes their tummies are not working properly, leading to further lack of nutrition. 

I have no idea the situation she came from, so physical abuse could have happened.  All I'm simply saying that with a skin condition, the sores you are seeing will be self inflicted from her digging, and chewing at herself....its not because she's fresh from the street with someone clobbering her.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Debbie,
     Thanks for that information - it helps to think that maybe she wasn't physically abused by a human.

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer