Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Sueann,   I just noticed your Avatar changed - Stunning bear!     I did some looking around to see if you have posted on this bear but I can not find anything.     

Is this a new bear?    I would love to know more about him/her?    What tyoe of material is that?     I am intrigued!   

I hope your doing well and might have a moment to post a bit more?

Duff

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hiya, Duff . . . thanks much for taking time to comment on my avatar - glad you like it.  This was an idea of Martha Burch's that I found really interesting, so decided to put my own twist to it.  I sew three different types/textures of multi-colored yarn on a backing that has been cut into all the bear pattern pieces, then sew all the pattern pieces together like normal.  The backing on "Camo" was the same fabric as his muzzle, paw pads, and ear linings . . . a cashmere-like upholstery material.  The other backings were cream flannel and denim from my hubby's ripped jeans.  Although this whole process is kinda fun, it's very labor intensive.  I've made several (am showing three of them here) and collectors at shows seem to like them.  All of these bears are around 12-13".
Camo_for_Duff.jpg Dimple_for_Duff.jpg Pastelle_for_Duff.jpg

If you want more info - just let me know.

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Thanks for asking the question Duff...I was admiring SueAnn's avatar bear too! I really love the colours of Camo but they are all really unique!

Cheryl bear_wub

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Very cute and creative!

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

bear_shocked wow how clever !!!!!! I have a soft spot for Camo too, but both my girls love the girly one with the burgandy bow.  bear_wub  This would suit Ellens challenge for 'out of the box'

Hugs Ali x

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Thank you SueAnn for sharing more pictures!   I love them!  bear_wub I really like the one with the plaid bow.   I see why your collectors do like them, the look is so unique.   Especially when combined with your style of bear.

When you sew on the yarns, do you do a quilting effect, sort of sew all around in various patterns to hold down the yarn?   How do you handle the seam allowance?     Gosh, there are so many types of yarn ont he market these days the possibilites are endless!     

Again, thank you for sharing, one more idea to add to the long list I already have - I just wish there was more time to try everything!

thanks SueAnn!

Duff

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

What a fascinating technique SueAnn!  Those bears look like they would be fabulously tactile!  Gorgeous!  bear_wub

Kim Basta

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi Sue Ann,
Great, loveable, I do like them all, but my favourite is the boy. bear_thumb
Lovely work.
Love kayx. bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

duff wrote:

Thank you SueAnn for sharing more pictures!   I love them!  bear_wub I really like the one with the plaid bow.   I see why your collectors do like them, the look is so unique.   Especially when combined with your style of bear.

When you sew on the yarns, do you do a quilting effect, sort of sew all around in various patterns to hold down the yarn?   How do you handle the seam allowance?     Gosh, there are so many types of yarn ont he market these days the possibilites are endless!     

Again, thank you for sharing, one more idea to add to the long list I already have - I just wish there was more time to try everything!

thanks SueAnn!

Duff

You're quite welcome, Duff.  You are correct in your description of sewing on the yarn strands . . . you will have to lower the feed teeth so you can "free-hand" sew.  I attach the yarn out to the edges of the pattern piece, then sew the pieces together using a 1/4" allowance - same as with all my bears.  Yep, for years I've been admiring the wonderful selection of yarns and been tempted to learn how to crochet or knit so I could work with them.  All I need is another craft to get into, so the fiber teds are my way of having an excuse to buy tons of incredible textures/colors of yarn.  As in all things crafty, I've gotten carried away with building up my stash, so I'm good for many, many bears to come. 

Thanks to all who have made such nice comments.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Fabulous bears, Sue Ann! I first saw this technique done on hand crafted designer clothing items when we were in New Zealand about 4 years ago and thought it might make interesting bears - nice to see someone do it and the results are even better than I thought they might be!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

very interesting look!! I love that Camo bear, my husband would go for that!! bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Isn't it fun thinking up new ways to use a common material we all use all the time?  Way to go Sue Ann!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Fantastic bears SueAnn and what an great idea.

Kathleen Pa

WOW!!!  I love those bears,  very cute, funky and original!! bear_wub

Kathleen

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Sue Ann,
I agree with everyone else.  Camo is really wonderful!  And he looks so soft!  Well worth the extra time it took you to create this fabulous bear!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

You are all so kind!  Thanks much and I appreciate your feedback.  It's great to know that some of the 'edgier' notions in bearmaking can work!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

Your bears are absolutely beatuiful!!!!!

Board footer