Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I was wondering this...

When you google a topic, like say, handmade bears...how do you get your website to pop-up first? Is it something you add when you purchase your domain? For instance, when I google "needle felted bears" I am pages and pages deep. But if I type in "needlefelted bears" I am on the first page. A whole different slew of artists pop up for the different words. I just want to know how to get successfully googled.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Hi Jennifer,
I've never really understood this either.  Maybe there is someone who knows something about Meta Tags who can chime in here.

Hugs,
Lisa

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Google has a complicated way of working out which sites appear first and so on, apparently. I believe it's a combination of number of hits (ie how many visitors there are) and wording. I'm not sure how important the metatags are - I've read advice both for & against - but I do know that it's important to have the correct wording on the very first page of the site, because that's the one the google 'bots' generally visit in their trawl around the web.

So if your first page contains the word 'needlefelted', as opposed to 'needle felted', then that could be a reason. It's a good idea to put as many relevant words as possible in the introduction as possible, for this very reason.

It's been a while since I set my website up so I've forgotten a lot of what I read (and no doubt the rules have changed!) but I'm pretty sure this is the gist of it! Hopefully someone else can help you more!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

My son in law is involved with an estate agency selling property for example Doll properties.

Now if you google Mr Bear Properties- this will bring up a list of all sites relating to Mr Bear Properties. On the RHS you will get the sponsored sites featuring.  This is where my son in law pays a nominal fee to Google so that at the same time Mr Bear Properties is being listed for you to view,  on the RHS of your screen Doll properties will appear

So anyone googling for estate agents- will get the estate agent they are googling and the same time always bring up my son -in law's site. This way they get more hits and it frustrates the competitor.

I have also been told that key words in Bold also help and I imagine the more hits your site gets the higher you climb on the list- I am not 100% sure if this is all correct.

When Matthew comes round later today I will ask him and maybe he can give some more ideas.

Lynette

ivuska.h Anavy teddy bears

Hi, the sites are sorted by Page Rank. Shortly -- the Page Rank expresses how many sites point to your site. Another way to get higher in the list is to have a semantic web which is more friendly for Google. You should have a well structured semantic website which means to use <h1>, <h2>... tags for headings etc. The other criteria are the number of sites pointing to your site (and the content of those sites), the relevance to searched word(s) (if you search "teddy bear" and your website has title Teddy bear, <h1> tag Teddy bear etc. it's highly relevant) etc.

You can find more on Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank and test your websites Page Rank on http://www.prchecker.info/check_page_rank.php.

And the metatags -- most of the modern web crawlers (or robots, including Google) ignore them (except the tag "no-follow" which means that the robot should ignore the site). But they are still very useful for web browsers!

Iva

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Google uses a complex algorithm which takes into account numerous factors.  The exact algorithm is a big secret, to keep people from abusing it.  But really, that is how it should be.  Back in the dark ages when search engines relied on META tags, people really were abusing them by doing all sorts of tricks like listing the same word hundreds of times or putting in popular search words that had absolutely nothing to do with their site.

Anyway, Iva is absolutely correct.  One of the biggest things to influence your ranking in Google is how many web sites link *to you*.  A couple of other things... you do not have your own domain name, which will always rank you lower in search engines.  You appear higher with a search for "needlefelted" because that is the way you're spelling it on your site, it looks like many of the other sites are agreeing on the spelling as "needle felted", so they  appear before you during the latter search.  You may want to consider using both spellings, or switching to the more widely accepted "needle felted" usage.

Hope that helps!
Kelly

Board footer