Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

TeddyB Posts: 83

Hello everyone,
   I am getting back into making my bears and wanted to know do you make or buy clothes for your teddy bears?
If you make your teddy bear clothes what patterns do you use esp for the smaller teddy bears?

Thank you for your help!!!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi.... (sorry I don't know your name), some of my bears go bare, but others I dress. I just make my own patterns to fit whichever bear I am dressing. I don't particulary like making the clothing but some bears call for clothing so I just measure them up and get designing. Sorry I can't lead you to patterns but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out.

Hugs, Jane.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I have bought some teddy bear clothes when I have seen clothes I like.

Of late I have made my own patterns according to the bears size and make clothes that fit.  It can take a bit of practice to get it right.  bear_happy  Just watch out for those big feet, big tummies and big noses.  bear_grin  Most of my bears are around the 10 to 12 inch in height. 

I have found some books that do have miniature clothing patterns I will go follow it up and get back to you.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I either make my own from vintage fabric or I purchase vintage doll clothing (bears have fat arms though so it's really hard to find something that's going to fit properly) or vintage children's clothing and just "tailor it down."

There used to be a software program that you could purchase to design your own doll clothes but I ran across it a gazillion years ago and don't even know if it exists anymore.  It was kind of expensive if I remember but was neat because you could measure the doll's height arms, legs, torso and enter it into the program and then pick out a basic dress/pants design and it would spit out the pattern for you.  This was back when I was really into collecting Sasha Dolls about 10 years ago and I'm having a brain freeze right now so I can't remember the name of the program.  Anyway, if I remember, I'll let you know!

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I remembered!  It's called Doll Wear (http://www.dollwear.com) and I was right about it being expensive too.  I remembered that 10 years ago it was about $100.  Now it's $199!  I'm sure it has a lot more "features" now though...LOL! bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_grin

Oh, back again.  I was just looking at their website and they used to make one called Teddywear!  They have it available as a download from their website but it says you need an access ID or something.  Maybe you can contact them and ask the price for the download.  Hopefully, it's cheaper as it's an earlier version of the software!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

This illustrated book has some great clothes patterns to make in it, its called Making and Dressing Traditional Teddy Bears by Brian and Donna Gibbs. Not exactly miniature for the ideas are great.

Lisa that software sounds great, thanks for sharing.  :hug:

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I use doll clothes patterns as a guide and then redraw to adjust for bear dimensions. I have used the copier mode on my printer to reduce or enlarge for a particular bear. I sometimes use Dolls' Clothes Pattern Book by Roselyn Gadia-Smitley which I got for a couple of dollars on ebay.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Hello . . . The book, "Creating Miniature Teddy Bears" by Linda Mullins has mini patterns and some of them have clothes patterns.  There's another book that I have in storage now so I can't tell you the exact name or author, but it's something like "Making and Dressing Miniature Teddy Bears".

I also make 10 to 16 inch bears and I make clothes for a lot of my bears.  I have a book called "2 Hour Doll Clothes".  I look at the pattern pieces, then design my bears clothes based on the basic shapes of the patterns in the book to fit what ever bear I'm making.  So I guess you could do the same with any patterns for clothes for a small doll like Barbie or Ginny.

Board footer