Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hi,

I am thinking of working with a real fur bear... After a little thinking, I was wondering, how do you sculpt real fur eye sockets?

With mohair and such, I would come out the back of the head and go back in the same hole, But with fur, would that not produce holes in the back of the head, in the leather?

Any ideas?

Richy~

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Richy, I would leave the bottom of the head open and enter and exit from there. That way you won't have holes in the back of the head. Or you can go through to the back of the head as long as you enter back into the head in the same hole. That way you will only have one little hole in the back of the head. I have done both ways. Some do it to where the ear is attached that way you don't notice it there as you have the ear sewn there and using the same hole. Not sure if that helps...maybe some else can add to this.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I agree with Lynn bear_thumb

The problem with making holes in the leather, no matter how careful you are, is that you lose fur in that area.  It's not much of a problem around the eye sockets, but anywhere else you'll get bald patches.

Since fur pieces need to be lined, you'll also be working with pieces that are much stiffer than mohair.

I'd definitely leave the bottom of the head open while needlesculpting!

Board footer