Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

111638142_tp.jpg111638126_tp.jpgHi all,
    I am very new to Teddy Talk and I am in very need of some help.
I have finished my very first Chocolate Lab named Mocha and had her up for auction on Ebay. She did not sell.
   I have attached a few pictures of Mocha for all to see. I know the photos are not very good, but I am addressing the lighting issue already. But there just seems to be something that I can't put my finger on that is still missing.
I am also still very new at designing my own patterns as well.

Please, any help would be great.

Thanks,
Sheryl

PS. I have signed up for Judi's felted faces class as well, maybe some new ideas will come from that.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Sheryl,
Wonderful pattern! Nothing is wrong with your design!  I think the problem is the fur. A Lab's fur should have a sense of direction and a little more length than the fur you are using. I know we are all having problems finding fur bear_rolleyes , lately, but a good fur would make all the difference  :thumbsup:
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Thanks Karen,

I think you may have something there about the Fur. It is a Faux fur with a shorter pile in different directions which gave it a purple effect in the photos. I have some black faux fur that is longer and one direction which I was planning on making a black lab pup as well. I will see how that does.
  I am also having problems finding the right colors and lengths in the higher quality faux fur as well.

Thanks again for your help.

PS I love all your kittens. I think your work is just amazing.

Any other help you can offer would be great.

:hug:
   Sheryl

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Sheryl, It's also not your dog but eBay. If you are fairly new, and don't have a very low price (No Reserve or low BIN) you won't get the notice that you will in a few months of posting regularly.

Or if you've been known for bears or birds and now design dogs. eBay is fickle! Mocha just hasn't been seen by the people in his Forever Home yet! 
You didn't give the size but I would suggest one tiny finishing detail: brush the nap up out of the seams, as the demarcation lines of your pattern show in a few places and it's nicer to not know where the seams are w/o touching him.

Your computer editing software and/or your lighting may also be causing the purple tones. Coud you try some outdoor shots next time or in addition to these? It should seem natural, with dogs being outdoor animals. Then the fabric's true color will show up better.
I agree with Karen, - Great design start! Wish mine'd begun so nicely proportioned and shaped...

Nice to 'meet' you!
Bobbie

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Hi Bobbie,
   It is very nice to meet you as well.

I understand what you mean about ebay folks being fickle. I am not new to ebay, I have been selling my polymer clay dogs since 2003. I am however new on ebay for the soft fur dogs. I have done some needle felted dogs and listed them on ebay as well. They have gone pretty good so far.  I am still not sure about the pricing of Mocha. I did start very low with a reserve price. It may just be ebay folks are not used to me selling with other types of medium.

Mocha's stands about 13" high and about 12 1/2" long. I was thinking maybe she was a little to big. That is a great suggetion about the seams. I will be working on those this week as well.

The lighting in my house is really not that great. When I take pictures of my smaller items I use the regular old 60 watt bulb in clamp lights on the back of a chair. It works great for the smaller clay dogs, but not so well with Mocha. I did purchase 2 shop lights which go up to 1000 watts each and can go down to 250 watts each. I have not tried them out yet. The weather here in KC, MO is still cold and now raining. I have been wanting to take pictures outside, but I do not think the sun is ever going to shine. :)

This was my second Mocha, the first one was even bigger. I am the kind of person that just likes to take the plunge and jump right on in there. If it does not work the first time I just keep trying.

I plan on making a black lab and a yellow lab as well.

Thanks again for all your great support

Sheryl

K Pawz Guest

Your dog looks great!!! Nothing wrong with your design at all, but I think like everyone said it is the fur, and the lighting, sometimes people see the photo and don't realize that lighting can change the color,  maybe even putting something in your auction to say that the lighting has caused it to be more purple and it is actually a chocolate brown. With this fur though your guy could pass for a Chesapeake Bay retriever since they have a rougher coat? http://www.geocities.com/ccrhearts/notcurl5.jpg
Also it may just be a breed thing as well, I had to list my chocolate two times before he actually sold
2.jpg
Also like others have said eBay is horrid right now, some others that always sell are not meeting their reserves right now, and my last guy the Irish Setter didn't get a bid, so please don't let that get to you. Your dog is amazing and I can't wait to see more of your work.
hugs,
Krista

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Hi Krista,

Thank you for the compliment. I love your chocolate lab he is wonderful. I was thinking the same thing about her passing for a Chesapeake Bay retriever. I just might have to change the breed name and see what happens.  I do know that not all dog breeds are equal on ebay. Some go better than others. I will have to see if I can find some other fur better sutted for a chocolate lab and then try making another one. I do have black and a yellow color fur for making those labs. (soon to come).

I am working on the lighting I am sure that will help.

I did see your Irish Setter and I must say you are wonderful with these dogs. They are just amazing. Don't worry he will sell as well.

Thanks again for all of your support and help.

sheryl

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I agree that you got the pattern right. The little dogs I make tend not to be realistic like Krista's but more caricature like. I mostly jumped in to tell you I use to have a 3/4 Lab 1/4 Chesapeake named Mocha. So I really like your name choice!

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Hi Nancy,

Thank you!
       I think I may have to change the dog breed to a Chesapeake. I do know that I am keeping her name the same.

You will have to email me a picture of your dog. I have a black lab and part who knows what mixed. I plan on making a black lab for ebay of course his name is going to be Shadow just like my real one.

Thanks again for your help.

sheryl

Sammybeardog Hobart Bears
Ferndale, Michigan

Sheryl,
Your dog is great.  And I too think Chesapeake......  I am all about dogs and your name "Gone to the dogs", is what my husband always tells me and anyone who will listen that he's having that written on my tombstone! 

Again, great job.

Karen

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Hi Karen

Thank you! I am also thinking Chesapeake so I think that is what she is going to be after her makeover coming this weekend.

I to am crazy about dogs. I wish I can have them all, but I do have 2 and they are wonderful!

Thanks again,

Sheryl

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

mochalauribilly.jpgThis is the only photo I have of Mocha-my ex got all the others. This pic was for my 1996 Christmas card.

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Oh Nancy,

She is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! I love the red ribbon around her neck. A great Christmas photo.

The more I look at my little creation Mocha I think she will become a Chesapeake. I am keeping her name as Mocha in honor of your baby Mocha.

Thanks for sharing your picture of her.

sheryl

Kansas City Missouri
Website

new_mocha_standing_with_duck_decoy.jpgHi all,

Well I have made the changes to my wonderful little Mocha. She is now a Chesapeake Bay Retriever pup. I have taken new pictures and given her some sculpted toes. As well as a good grooming.

I will be posting her on ebay shortly.

Thank you to all of the wonderful help you have given me with this little girl.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Sheryl

Sammybeardog Hobart Bears
Ferndale, Michigan

Sheryl,
Best of luck on Mocha's auction.  You've done great work and should be very pleased with her.

Karen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

What an adorable pattern you designed....I agree the only thing off is the lighting therefore the color, and the fur,

but i love the alertness that you have given him in his stance and the cock of his head.  Very  very nice.

Now, don't you get discouraged....if this is an example of your work and your first pattern I believe you have a future.

But it takes time for people to get to know you and you may well loose money the first few times on ebay-as no one does know you yet.

BUT

keep posting here on a regular basis, get as many of your critters on the show and tell page here, and consider joining some other boards as well-just so you get your name and face and style out there on a regular basis.

And remember there may only be 5 regular members on here at any given time but the proof of the pudding is how many guests are online-guests can be anyone from a very shy teddy maker to a big time collector looking for the new and exciting designer.

And if the last picture is any indication, well, you are on your way.  absolutely adorable!

gollyhugs
dilu

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Thanks Dilu,

Your words of encouragment mean alot. Yes, it is true that this is the first pattern I have designed. I must admit I was very nervous about how she would turn out. But from all of you here with the wonderful advise you have given me. I am ready for my next pup and bear.

I am HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again to all of you for all of your wonderful help.

I am now working on my second little dog and I will post him as soon as he is done.

Sheryl

Board footer