Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

We have decided at Bear Creations that we needed to join the world of competitions!  So I studied all the competition held but TITA and other magazines and have put together one for us.

I fully admit it is similar to many others but we have a few differences.

1/ We will need the bears in the fur if you are nominated.......I have arranged with one of the largest craft shows for the nominees to travel in protected show cases to Melbourne Sydney and Brisbane so that they can be seen and voted for by the public. But this is also a massive opportunity to promote teddy bears in general as a craft and collectible and also to promote yourself in particular.

2/ If you are the Public Choice Winner your bear will become the LOGO for at least the next 12 months with attendant publicity and acknowledgement.

Please visit our website to download the forms and consider entering the ABC Awards!!

http://www.woodlandspublishing.com.au/abc/comps.html

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Very cool, Sandra . . . hope it is a total success!   bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

THE BEST NEWS I HAVE HEARD IN AGES
COME ON AUSSIES, COME ON, COME ON!

:clap:  :clap:  :dance:  :dance:   :dance:  :dance:  :clap:  :clap:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  Good on you for taking the bull by the horns and putting this out there!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   I hope you get lots of response, and lots of beautiful bears  bear_wub

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

bear_thumb
yipee having a look now.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Great news!  I'm going to go read the rules now!!!

Jennie Teddybears Sweden
Gavle, Sweden

That's great! Good job!

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Some of you have asked why I need the bears in the fur. I decided this fro several reasons.
1/ Because Australia is so far for many bear artists we don't get many visiting our shows and although we get to drool over photos and internest sites we rarely get to see them in the fur. By getting the bears in the fur and having them travel with the show 3 states will get to see the bears.

2/ Aussie collectors like so many other really only like to buy after we see the artists work and so this will be a great opportunity for the nominated artists to have their work seen my thousands of potential collectors as well as helping to promote bear artistry at our largest craft shows.

The Stitches and Craft show are http://www.stitchesandcraft.com.au/  as you can see they are huge and some of the morning TV shows and broadcast  from them when they are on in each state so there is also the potential the bears will be shown on national TV.

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Fantastic news Sandra!  I read about it in the latest issue.  Not sure if my bears up to the challenge, but I am hoping to enter bear_original

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

I was wondering when ABC would finally get a comp going. This i great news. I am excited

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

after reading the form. does the ones that are nominated, receive a trophy or anything?????????????????

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Hi Again

Yep the nominees will be recognised with trophies/medals (haven't finalised that bit yet) and the winner, of course, will also receive a trophy and their bear will become the "logo". The nominees will be published in the magazine, on the website and be seen on The Stitches and Craft tour as well for voting.

I have other "stuff" under discussion at the moment as well so I'm hoping to announce more as we go along.

It is all good fun

bearhugs

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Hey this is open to everyone...what about all you WORLDWIDE ARTISTS???

Anyone up for the challenge???

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I am going to try
Lynette

bettys bears Melbourne

Don't know if my Bears are ready for a National Competition :redface:  bear_rolleyes

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Hey, this competition is open to everyone and if we have self doubts we will never know.

I judged a competition out at Campbelltown on the weekend and the cloth doll/polymer doll judge is a very very good friend of mine, half way through judging she called myself and the porcelain doll judge over, who is also a good friend. She had two polymer creations in front of her that she could not separate, both were exceptional pieces and were on perfect scores. After all three of us sat for approx 10 minutes examining down to minute detail we picked that one hand had a slightly double jointed thumb and no one could get their fingers into that position......now if I could show you the detail in these pieces you would understand that this was getting really really picky. We then found out both pieces were from the same person. Which I would not have picked as their diversity of theme and style were so different and I also knew the artist quite well and never knew that she did this type of work. At the show I tackled the artist about keeping such a spectacular skill so quiet. Her amswer was that she didin't think it was up to standard and this was the first competition she felt she could enter AND she was not ready to sell her pieces as they weren't good enough. I personally (and my husband agreed) would have been happy to pay anything up to $1000 for one of those pieces and so would the other judges!!!

So please stop being so self critical and bit the bullet!!!  Take the Aussie mantra and .............have a go mate!!!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Sandra, a big thank you for pushing this comp. Australia needs to join in these major awards.  I will definitely be supporting it.
A big thank you to ABC.

. :clap:  :clap:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Come on everyone please give it some support  :clap:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I love the fact that we have the whole year to work on our pieces. I for one will not miss this competition.!!!!!!!
It's a brilliant idea Sandra!!!!!! I fully support it. :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
Wendy bear_thumb

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Me too, planning something grand.  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Well if everyone does enter who has indicated they will in private PM's we should so far have a very good competition. Still love a few more overseas entries though but we'll have to see what comes in at the end of the year.........

I set out to give everyone plenty of time to come up with something new and interesting. Problem is if course that I can't enter.....I seem to be an organiser or a judge all to often these days bear_sad

bearlysane wrote:

Hey this is open to everyone...what about all you WORLDWIDE ARTISTS???

Anyone up for the challenge???

bear_shocked  Oh!!!  I didn't realize this was open to worldwide artists!  I thought it was for only Australian/ New Zealand artists.   :rose:

I just had a thought.  I only work in recycled, vintage furs.  I don't have a problem shipping one of my bears should it get a nomination (yeah right, but I guess I can dream  bear_whistle )  But does anyone know if its okay to ship vintage/recycled fur bears to Australia?  I wouldn't want the poor thing to get lost or destroyed in customs.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hi Deb,

I would be concerned as well, I can point you in the right direction with your questions  :hug:

We had some artist bears shipped in for a Show from USA and Canada a good 12 months ago and didn't have any issues, these bears were made from recycled and Mink furs.  I would protect yourself by placing a note in your parcel of what your bear is made of and its contents addressed to customs in case your box is opened for inspection. I do this when I post bears internationally to protect myself.

Here are some websites if you wish to read up - http://www.auspost.com.au/international … /incoming/

and this site is direct to the point http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/mail/cant-mail

In summary I have picked out a few things to avoid from- What Can't Be Mailed To Australia

- souvenirs, artefacts and goods made of animal products such as raw hide, feathers, teeth, bones, wool and animal hair (they would be looking for items that have not been treated)
- wooden items with bark or signs of insects present ( I would say avoid wood shavings)
- gifts, ornaments and toys filled with sand or soil (avoid sand and soil)
- gifts, ornaments and toys filled with seeds (avoid plant items)
- handicrafts – including wreaths and Christmas decorations – containing seeds, raw nuts, corn, pine cones, grapevines, bark, moss, straw or other plant material

Hope this helps,  if still in doubt I would drop them an email at this address.    http://www.daff.gov.au/feedback?query=i … _NAME=aqis

Hope to see plenty of international entries.

That's a BIG help!!!   :hug: Thank you for looking up all that for me Karen!!!!  :hug:

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Thanks for that KAren

I was going to double check the info tomorrow with customs tomorrow but when I had my shop I i,poed some rabbits furs from Japan without a problem as they were treated and considered not to pose a problem.

Board footer