Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hi,

Does anyone use a Vintage singer? I have found one, so old it is hand turn and not converted to electric.

As my very modern, eletrical computerized sewing machine doesn't not want to sew mohair at all, I am thinking about getting this one. I don't think think it has anything but backwards and forwards but all I need for bears.

Here is a picture I found online, the exact same one and even with a wonderful wooden case.

https://webstore.quiltropolis.net/store … ne-400.jpg

https://webstore.quiltropolis.net/store … se-400.jpg

What do you guys think? It's old, it's metal I guess basic but sturdy? 

I am going to take some samples with me to try out before I purchase, if i'm allowed! (It's an antique market)

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Bear hugs,

Richy~

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

I have a 1940's Singer, I have hammered it too death, it has been carted from house to house, no maintenance at all and I bought it in 1982

It's the one with a bobbin not shuttle and has gold painted on it, my hubby has a pre war one with a shuttle that goes side to side and has no letters only numbers on the serial number at the front (thats how you date them)

I adore it, my first attempt was to sew a faux fur bear on it, the fur was from Mo at Honeysuckle Furs, very very dense, worked a treat, next was sparse then long hair, all fine no probs. I would not trade it for an electric ever, I feel more in control, when I stop the turning the handle, the needle stops bear_grin I have tried an electric years ago but could not get on with it. The only hitch is getting the tension right but you just fiddle with 2 knobs bear_grin , 1 for the under stitch tension and the other for the top tension, I got it in the end by trial and error and have it set the same regardless of the type of mohair I use bear_thumb

Please, each to his own and I am sure that some will say "Oh No", great idea to take a few bits to try. I think this will be a personal choice thingy bear_wub

Added bonus, it looks fabulous sat on a table in the corner of a room bear_thumb

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I have two vintage Singer sewing machines.  One from the 1920s and one from the 1940s.  I can't say enough good things about the brand from that era.  They are fabulous little work horses and tops in my book (okay, I love my Viking too but I can have two favorites can't I?).

The hand crank thing is cool.  The one I have from the 1920s is from like 1929 and it is electric.  It has a really cool knee peddle though.

Anyway, great machines.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't know, Richy . . . I'm thinking the hand crank would be a pain in the tush.  But that's just me - I want everything to be as easy as possible.  I would love to have the machine just for its age and display it as a vintage treasure.   bear_rolleyes   bear_happy

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

My vintage singer is from 1960. It was my mom's. I LOVE IT!!! It is electric but sews very well.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

For many years I have admired two friends of mine who both have "antique" singers in their original cabinets. I have  searched and searched for something similar but always seem to miss out on them.

Then for Christmas my son found one in his wife's granny's house. Being stored in Kwa-zulu Natal with its humid weather and all the salt sea air, it is not in a very good condition and needs to be restored. It traveled a good 1000 miles to get to Cape Town with them, then another 1000 miles in our car to get back to my home.

I want it purely for a decorative purpose. I do have a 1950's table top Singer, although I have never used it.

Up in Africa ,hubby says they are found on every street corner.

My mother also sewed on her singer, making dresses for a living during World War 2.

Singers sure do have a reputation of sewing on and on.

Lynette

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi Richy, 

I have to agree with Sue Ann.  The machine is beautiful, and would be great if you want it for display.  But as a machine to use on a frequent basis, I think the repetitive arm motion would become tiresome fairly quickly and might even start wrist or shoulder problems. 

What if you take your samples to a sewing machine retailer and try them out on some of the used machines.  They may have a basic but sturdy machine that will work for you.

Hugs,

Ellen

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Wow, Richy! I just looked at the picture links! That is a Beautiful machine. I'd love to have one like that for display as well as use.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Anyone have a Singer Featherweight that they no longer want ... and are willing to let it go 'for a song'?

bear_whistle

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Bobbie have you got a picture- hubby is off into darkest Africa and maybe he might just see one ?????

he is going to Sao Tome ( the island I once showed pictures of) and guess what although they have only 3 days work there, he says that because of the difficulties of flights they have to spend a week there- hah I would call that god planning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynette

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

Bobbie Id kill to get my hands on a featherweight!  i sew with a singer lightweight..its a slightly older model with an odd angled needle design..it will sew ANYTHING! and i adore it! we looked at hundreds of machines when my first old $5.00 Zenith died...i couldnt get used to the new ones! came close to buying  a really expensive one...then we saw an ad for someone here that sells and repairs singers..i was in love! and they always should let you try and sew your material! so you know all the parts work. the hand model you linked to is beautiful Richie but i agree that th ecrank would get tiring,,but if your power goes out youre still good to go!  deb

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I had an old phaff that I loved.  It was a true workhorse.  The only problem that I found with the old ones was that you could not adjust the stitch length.
Donna

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Maybe you could get a handy person to do some work and make it into a treadle machine? Hands free but still no electricity required.

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Thank you for all your replies!

I thought about it and decided I needed a decent sewing machine. So off I go into town, finding a parking space is hard enough! Got there and it was gone!

I really do need a new sewing machine, can anyone recommend one under about $70 /£35 ish. Of course not new but a GOOD second hand one?

Thanks again,

Richy~

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Oh wish you lived near me, the place I bought my old singer from, is a sewing machine shop and still exists, repairing and selling old machines  bear_wub

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Here's what I would do,. I would get the hand crank, and then complain that it is too difficult to use, and whine and complain until its determined that you simply must have something better, and then get the next one,

i have 6 machines, I know where of i speak. :crackup:  :crackup: 

But be subtle, and smile bravely, and then massage your crank hand.....

what?  Did someone say manipulative?????  Moi?

All right

get the hand crank for a home decor piece and then get  basic  work horse electrified for sewing,

i have 2 antique Singers, one a treadle and a featherweight 1922 or 23.....

I love them.  Singers are easy to work on, even girly girls can take them apart and fix them....they just need a little love and to be kept dusted and used.....

the hand crank ones are soo cool looking......its my next wish list item,

good luck

dilu

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

mine is a 301A singer..they used to use them in all the school home ec depts..they are a fairly lightweight machine ( probably that s why they are called that?!) but they will sew ANYTHING! i adore mine! it was $125 when i bought it...havent seen one that cheap since! i agree with Duli ,,singer is it!  deb

Board footer