Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

mjbears mjbears
northants

hi all i would be grateful on any comments i do all my owrk by hand and am thinking about purchasing a sewing machine trouble is will most probaally take me ages to use it lol.never used one before to think just over 12 months ago i couldnt even sew a button on a shirt i had no patience for that at all now i sit all day night sewing bears by hand i love it totally addicted............... so what i am asking is sewing machine is it a good idea or keep to hand thanks melissa

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Hi Melissa,
I was like you when I first started bears - I did everything by hand.  Then as I started to design my own patterns, I got more impatient, and so I started using a sewing machine for certain parts of the bear.  I must admit, it is great for the long, boring bits, e.g. leg and arms.  I always do all the head by hand and the foot pads by hand, but I find the machine great for the other bits.  It takes a while to get used to using a machine with mohair, and going slowly enough to learn to do nice curves, but once you have mastered it, it is great.

I would use the machine to do body bits on bears over say 7" tall, but on smaller bears I find it too fiddly and still do all of them by hand.  I have a Janome machine and I love it, although it is computerised and it quite often beeps and beeps to tell me off if I have pressed something wrong.   I often talk back to it, and my family just say "Mum is going crazy again talking to her sewing machine".

If you get a sewing machine and you haven't used one before, I would start just on some scrap cotton or calico to practice speeds and gently doing curves before starting on mohair.

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

I have always had a machine since I was young so I'm very used to it. I sew most of my rabbits by machine but I do the heads by hand as they are quite small to get in with the machine foot.

Machining is a skill like anything so takes practice. I don't think there is any more skill in hand sewing than machining in some cases there is more skill in machining especially using the type of fabrics that we do.

If I was you I would see if maybe you could rent or borrow a  machine before you buy as you might just not enjoy using it.

Machines these days are so advanced but you can get by with a fairly basic model. I mainly use a machine because it is faster on the long boring bits, you can adjust the pressure on the foot which helps create a firm seam, and my machine has a sort of double stitch which means the seams are really strong, but a nightmare to unpick if you make a mistake.  I would be lost without my machines. I also have an overlocker, one of my prized possesions, I know very sad !!

It's something you will have to just try yourself....good luck.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I admire anyone who has the patience to sew by hand ... it takes sooooooooooooooooo long!

I couldn't manage without a sewing machine, I'd have to give up bear-making entirely and do something else I think!  I would highly recommend buying a sewing machine, it really speeds up the process and once you get the hang of it, gives a lovely professional finish to your work.

mjbears mjbears
northants

THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP I WILL BUY ONE TOMORROW MORNING AND THEN SPEND ALL WEEKEND READING THE MANUAL LOL AND HAVING A GO............................. THANKYOU ALL SO SO MUCH MELISSAX

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

Melissa, whatever machine you purchase, it's GOT TO BE HEAVY DUTY. Mohair does a number on machines!  I was lucky enough to purchase a used Bernina 910 years ago.  It's a simple machine without all the bells and whistles of computer stuff.  Plus I use a zipper foot and denim sewing machine needles. The zipper foot allows me to get closer to the edging and also allows me to see exactly where I'm sewing. I also sew almost always to the right of the foot...only do the left with the hand pad.

Good luck!!
hugs,
Leeann Krikau
Busser Bears

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

me and sewing machines dont get on... lets just say... the air turns blue, so rather than taint the air with my fowl language, i sew by hand... maybe need counceling for my sewing machine problems!!!!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I sew all my bears by hand although I make between 4 and 12 inch bears but I have made up to 20 inches and still sew by hand.I had a sewing machine for a short while but just couldn't be bothered to work out how to use it.It is personal prefence really.I find it relaxing hand sewing and you can put you feet up and sit in a comfy chair at the same time which is great for me as I do a lot of my sewing in the evenings.Let us know how you get on bear_whistle
Laurie :hug:

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

All of my bears are sewn by machine, of course my smallest bear is like 10"  bear_tongue

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Dear Melisa,  When I first began making bears 20 years ago I used a machine,  It is very quick,  I sold bears at shows and it is great to be able to make up bears quickly.  I don't use it any more,  It takes me much longer now, but I hand sew all the bears, large and small. For myself I fell like I have much more control over where the stitching goes, and I can use smaller seam allowances, which I like.  My cheap brother machine has sewed probably hundreds of bears and it still works great, I would buy another one
Joanne

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I sew completely by hand...crazy I know as I have two sewing machines sitting just a few feet from me as I sew. I have made bears from 3 1/2 inches tall to 27 inches tall and all by hand. I'm thinking as shows get closer that I will sew arms, legs and bodies on my machine but knowing me \i'll still hand sew.

Hugs, Jane.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I started out sewing my bears by hand even though I've sewn clothes and all sorts of other things for 40 years (whoops, revealing my age, sort of).  Unfortunately, I had to have hand surgery.  I now sew all of my bears completely on machine.  I started out using my computerized Janome until I found a Singer from the 50's at a yard sale for $10.  This thing is a work horse and wonderful for bears.  If you like sewing your bears on machine you could invest in a new machine later.  But, I still prefer to sew bears on my old Singer.  Plus, it's apple green and so cute.

Maybe you could find something similar.  Not a huge investment and much simpler to use.  No zig-zag stitch or anything.

IMG_1128_Small.JPG

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

My bears range between 7 and 24 inches but I am a hand sewer too. I can use a sewing machine and do for the clothes...but I love the relaxation of hand sewing and like Joanne, I too feel I have better control over the seams.

I also like that I can take my sewing where ever I go, bit like knitting...you can't take a machine on the bus or train or in the car when hubby's driving.  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You do NOT need a heavy duty machine...... some brands and styles do better with mohair than others but if you by a good, tried and true brand name you shouldn't have a problem. You don't need to invest your life savings either. I know many who actually sew their bears on an antique Singer Featherweight... others use a basic machine with few stitch options, no computer. Then there are those who use fancy machines with computer controls, fancy stitches and all the bells and whistles.

To make bears you need a machine that will stitch forwards and backwards, that's it! Metal parts are better than plastic.... like the presser foot for example (the sales person at the store you buy your machine from will know what that is) should be metal. The outer casing of the machine is usually plastic now but the mechanical parts should be metal to ensure a longer life and be more resistent to breaking.

It IS important to know how to CLEAN your machine between regular servicings. A clean machine will work better, be less apt to break down and thus be less stressful to use. The bobbin case/housing should come out so you can get all the fiber out. Have the sales person show you how to clean your machine... insist on it. They'll say "Oh, you can just bring it in once a year or every 6 mos. and we'll clean it for you." And they will... for a fee and you'll be without your machine which is like being without a car once you are used to it always being there for you.

I had never used a sewing machine in my life until I took a class on how to make a teddy bear. My instructor had me use her machine (an antique Singer) and it was a breeze. I immediately dug out my grandmother's old no-name machine for my second bear and have never hand sewn bear. I've been doing this for 8 years now. All the rest of the hand work involved in making bears has resulted in tendon problems in my fingers. If I had been hand sewing all this time I think my hands would be totally crippled now. I'll do anything to save my hands so my machine is my very best friend!

Happy machine shopping!! :dance:

teeeej Brisbane

I love to use my sewing machine. I remember taking my first bear making class and I decided to machine sew my bear - I had the sewing finished in a day. My classmates had spent a week hand sewing theirs! I was really slow at first with the machine especially with curves. But after some practice I found I can zip around an arm or a leg in no time.

I must admit though there are times where I like to hand sew. In the evenings after work I enjoy watching TV and hand sewing. However at the moment its too dark when I get home and I don't have a good lamp.

Taiwan Angel Love Bear Forever

I used to sew my whole bear by hand stitching but after I start my own design, I just can't wait to see how it will look like.
But I hand sewn the head and paw pad by hand only the body, arms and legs are by machine. 
I have a industrial JUKI sewing machine and it work just fine...
( I have start making my dolls cloth on this kind of industrial machine since I am 12 years old)
There is no problem to control small sewing allowance,
as there is a pressure foot that you can control exactly what size of sewing allowance you want.
I can easily complete sewing a bear in 10 mins  bear_original
So I am not sure if like this my bear will still call " HANDMADE" or not?  bear_sad
Because in Taiwan now people like " HANDMADE" so ....
But I do all the drawing, design, trimming, scuplting, head and paw pad by HAND..... bear_rolleyes

But during travel transit in the airport, I will bring out whatever part of my bear that need sewing and do them by hand.
Otherwise it will be too boring to just sit and wait and waste time.
Or machine and hand are all just fine to me
But I think an industrial sewing machine are good .... you will face less troubles during sewing
PS: I have another Singer machine that also can make embroidery ....etc and it is giving me too much problem while sewing

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_original All my bears are hand sewn as sewing machines and I do not go together! Like Kim the air becomes blue very quickly so not nice for the bears or anyone within close range  bear_grin  I find hand sewing very relaxing and you can take the bear any where in the house and outside where as the sewing machine you are stuck in one room unless of course it is portable and you can take it from room to room.  bear_wacko

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I'm with paula, if I had to sew by hand, I'd quit and find something else to do.  I don't like sewing on a machine, but I like it a whole lot better than sewing by hand (I'd rather glue the whole shebang together, be done with it and start something new, but that method just doesn't work) I used to applique my paw pads on by hand and it took over 2 hours per paw.  I can do it on a machine is 15 minutes. . .theres just too many bears waiting to be made to waste time!

I don't think you need a heavy duty machine - or anything fancy, either (but I admit to a marked fondness for lots of buttons & gadgets - it must be the guy in me)  I sew 4-5 layers of heavy leather using a regular #8 needle and sew the wire into my rabbit ears on my machine, and it's just a mid-range Viking. (you can't do this using a singer needle, though, only shmetz or klasse)

I had no formal training on a machine and frankly thought they were pretty scary at first, but I can tell you that the learning curve is very short, and all it takes is a little practice.  vintage singers are always a sure bet.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I have a lovely sewing room all set up with a computerized Janome machine and 4 thread surger plus cordless iron and mini iron and tables, etc etc and how do I do my bears....by hand in my easy chair! I just enjoy hand-sewing them too much. I've sometimes been tempted to sew up the easy parts but just can't bring myself to do it. Now I do use my machine for my dolls.

Marion

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website
MerBear wrote:

I have a lovely sewing room all set up with a computerized Janome machine and 4 thread surger plus cordless iron and mini iron and tables, etc etc and how do I do my bears....by hand in my easy chair! I just enjoy hand-sewing them too much. I've sometimes been tempted to sew up the easy parts but just can't bring myself to do it. Now I do use my machine for my dolls.

Marion

gosh, it's silly to let all that lovely stuff go to waste. . . sigh. .  .ok, I guess you can send it down here ;-)

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

'send it down her'  snicker, good luck with that! bear_grin
I periodically do use the machine when I get into a sewing jag - I used to make all my kids clothes and my husband's shirts and now I sew for my granddaughter but realistically, it's easier to shop for her! Now most of my sewing room is storage bins and wall shelves for mohair, wool and material for dolls, etc. It's amazing how much stuff is needed! Actually that's a thought for all of us. I would imagine that most of us have kids that couldn't care less about sewing bears. What would they do if they had to dispose of our 'stuff' - garage sale...dumpster?
I think I'll leave a note for my daughter to send it to a special friend or something like that. My Mom had that arrangement with several of her quilting buddies. She ended up with their stuff and I had to dispose of it - and had no idea what most of it was. Fortunately one of my sisters suggested Victoria's Quilts and I donated a lot of it to them.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Melissa, I did all mine by hand until I read on here about the operation, needed by one of our TT'rs and thought "Yikes", choice " do I sew by hand and risk cramped hands possibly an operation or try my machine and increase the length of my bear making life"

The machine won, I only do the straight bits and all faces, paw and foot pads are by hand, luckily I already had a really old hand singer (gorgeous) I find I have a lot more control with a hand cranked machine than an electric one  bear_grin

Try ebay, and you will have all our US TT'rs drooling, cheap as chips here

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I admire all you people who hand sew your bears but for me it is the sewing machine.  I have sewed since I was a little girl, over 50 years, opps. telling my age.  Of course there are parts that still have to be hand sewn but my hands don't take to well it that anymore.  I have several machines but I do enjoy my computerized one the best.  I just like the bells and whistles of the machine and it makes it faster and I can never wait to see what the bear is going to look like.  Patience is NOT one of my virtues.

Eva
www.ejcrafts.com

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

I sew mine by hands as well and im still thinking if i want to invest on a machine. Yes its faster but I don't know if the outcome will be different. What if i disfigure the body! because i cant seem to control it...

Angel, from what I know if you use your hand to move the mohair around, its still handmade! I mean, u do need to use your hands literally to move it right?  :dance: Maybe in tw its the process because i saw a "handmade" baby shoes but guess what, the stitch is too even! its obvious a machine was use, but they still considered it handmade... maybe you should call it hand-sewed? bear_original

Melissa, its brave of you to try it... im so scared of getting my fingers hurt or mohair stuck in the machine... i cant even sew a perfect line bear_grin good luck and let us know how it turns out! :hug:

am_bears AM BEARS
Derbyshire

I have fads and phases, last year I was permanently attatched to my my ancient Bernina and felt like some kind of cyborg, but I was supplying a shop and they were selling faster than I could hand sew them.  There's no great mystery to machining, just pin everything, go slow and remember to remove the pin in front of the foot otherwise its gonna break your needle and if you're unlucky your nose too. At the minute and for the last year, I'm handsewing everything because I'm not supplying a shop anymore and have since fallen in love again with the feel of mohair. Next month when Im sick of handsewing (which I can feel coming on)  Berni is moving back into the conservatory and will be buzzing happily away.  Ive got three sewing machines, a useless Husquvarna something or other basic, a rose and the bernina, my janome I completely buggered up making druid robes enmasse...and tunics for elves, and viking tabbards...I really miss that machine   bear_cry

Board footer