Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Every day I'm on here and also various artist's sites looking at all the gorgeous bears and am desperate for another!  Is it because I'm new to collecting bears, especially artist bears that I can't stop looking at them?  Is it too soon after buying Penelope bunny to buy another?  She was £165 so obviously I'm going to have to save up for the next one anyway but I want to know if you think I'm being greedy! bear_tongue

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Well as long as you have supplies to keep doing what you do, and food on the table then its never too soon....Perhaps saving up is good for the soul, I don't know, but when it comes to getting an artist bear from someone you really like, its probably better to go for it as soon as you can.....and remember, this is an investment!  :crackup:   sounds good, though, doncha think?

dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You're kidding, right?  There is not a collector on this earth that I think is greedy.  Please look at and lust after all the bears/friends that you like . . . greed has nothing to do with it, in my opinion.  You are gathering information that helps you form the notions of what you like and don't like about artist bears - so that years from now, you will have quite a lot of knowledge about quality, which is certainly important to a collector.  This knowledge will hone your ability to decide what/when to purchase.  Nope - not greedy at all.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I know what you mean, I find a ton I want also, but I can only afford to buy a few a year. Too much money going toward everything else in life   bear_tongue

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

You're definately not greedy!!

My biggest collector (who has 9 or 10 of my bears) has over 300 in her collection (they're not all Artist bears but many of them are!)....they even have their own room! She's just the most lovely lady though.  bear_original

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Heehee, I love it..  bear_grin . No I don't think that is greedy.. collecting is an obession.. and a fun one at that!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Hugs!
Melanie

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Life's short, have fun  :dance:
I was surprised to see one of my older cats come up on ebay, it doesn't happen very often. I believe the collector paid about $250 for the cat and it sold for $465. So you could call it an investment  bear_flower  But you should always buy what you love and don't worry too much about investment.
Karen

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

You sound like just the sort of customer we all need Gemma bear_laugh
I collect artist bears and I have seen 2 in the last day that I would love to have but I am saving for an artists bear that I have wanted for a while now so I have to make do with just looking at the photos on here bear_original
As long as you stick to your budget why not collect as many as you like-it is fun to have an interest and it gives you something to look forward to.The only problem with being patient is that you can't fill up the empty shelves etc that are waiting for a new bear quick enough bear_whistle
Laurie :hug:

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Enjoy your passion for bears.  There are never enough bears in this world.  If you can afford it, buy it and if not save for it.  I not only make bears but collect too and there are bears in every room of my house in one shape or another bear_grin

Eva

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

No you are not greedy Gemma bear_flower
Best of luck with finding a bear that you like and adding it to your collection.
I am sure Penelope bunny would love to have a friend!

Warmest bear hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I don't think you sound greedy at all - just a person who has really come to learn about and appreciate artist bears.  I drool over other artists bears all the time and still let my budget slip occasionally to get one that I would just not be able to live without - well that is what I tell myself anyway.  Enjoy your obsession - it is a terrific one to have.

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Thanks for all the replies.  I think I'm already learning which artists I like and which bears I think are well made and yes I'll definitely try to see them as an investment.  I can't just sit them on a shelf and look at them though, I like to sit and hold Penelope and also my Charlie Bear that my partner bought for me, I find them very comforting to have with me, they help my stress levels!  Hmm I think I found another reason to buy them...  my health! bear_laugh

I would so love to see some pictures of your collections, if any of you have the time and photos would you mind posting them?  If there's already a thread of pictures, can someone point me in the right direction?  bear_flower

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hello Gemma,

I have learnt this week that life is too short and things you love can quickly and easily be taken away from you for good.

So, my advice is .........  go for it!!  Provided you have food on the table and the family are not short on anything, then enjoy your new hobby.  I think my new saying should be "Life's too short, so buy a bear"!!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Most everyone has a website and you can see the bears there.   Good luck in finding just the right bear for you.  Bears should be held.  They like love too. bear_wub

Eva

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

Well...I don't think you're greedy!  You should see my house.  My husband and I both collect and we really can't count how many bears we have.  I'll have to take some good pictures and post a few.  Dale used to pretty much collect Hermann (original red tag) bears and Steiff.  We both collect artist bears too.  There are plenty of things we don't spend money on and of course being a bear maker helps.  Sell some bears and spend some money on other ones!!  SOMEBODY has to help out the economy!!  bear_wub   Bear hugs, Susie

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Hey Susie, I would love to see your bear collection, it's great your husband collects too!  I guess I don't spend money on smoking and I don't drink for health reasons, we don't like going to clubs or anything like that so I may as well spend some money on the things I enjoy: books, my animals and bears!

(Are you working on anything at the moment Susie?)

mjbears mjbears
northants

hi gemma i dont think its greedy at all to collect bears i used to have a huge collection of deans but as i make bears now for a living i had to depart with them bear_cry  to make room for my collections i have over 30 at the moment as i am doing a bear fair so space is  a issue to me i dont keep any of my bears as if i started keeping 1  i would never sell them as i would want to keep many. i have many collectors whom buy from me and they have into 100 s of bears in there collections  so you are not obsessed if it brings you comfort and joy then  buy them.. i love making bears and everytime i make one it brings me joy and i am not a collector..good luck in your future collection melissa x

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Gemma,  I have to agree with everyone here.

Have fun with your bears and critter, play with them, love them, enjoy them.  So many collectors buy/adopt bears and other artist made animals on a regular continuous basis.  It's what makes the bear world tick. 

You're not greedy...you've just caught "the bug"....like the rest of us! bear_laugh   We welcome you with open arms to the wonderful world of artist creations. :hug:  :dance:

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

Well Gemma, I guess I'm like everyone else out there!  I'm always working on something!  Unfortunately with our business being based out of the home....as far as paperwork, phones, etc... I have little time to sew.  Hopefully I'll get some things done for the San Jose show at the Doubletree on the weekend of July 20th.  If there are any of you that want to do that show in California just sign up!  We have other commitments so I can't attend the convention but we will be there for the show itself on Sunday.   

When I figure out how to get pictures up I'll take some new photos and post a few of our collection.  It's all over the house.  I get a kick out of it when people see the bears for the first time.  Most are shocked.  People always hear me talk about Bear shows, making bears, etc.  But they don't understand until they actually see them.  We have quite a representation of artists in our home here, more than any store I've ever been in and we both love it!  I'm wondering if someone should start a topic on collections!!  Just wait until I figure out the picture thing!!!    :doh:  Bear Hugs, Susie

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

As a collector, it doesn't get any better.  For every one bear you get, you want 10 more!!!  I don't this it's greedy at all!  We love bears.  There's always room for one more! 

DH built some bear shelves for me in our living room.  I still can only fit a little bit of my collection on them so I have to rotate them.  I don't have any pictures yet.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Better than eating chocolate Gemma. For your waist line that is.  bear_grin
Wendy

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website
matilda wrote:

Better than eating chocolate Gemma. For your waist line that is.  bear_grin
Wendy

The problem is I'm addicted to chocolate too!! bear_laugh

What?  Gemma are you still feeling guilty?  Tell you what, honey, so you don't feel greedy you just pick out your favorite bear and send it to someone deserving....hmmmmm....like ME!!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

OK  seriously, you really gotta get over the guilty thing.....best cure for something like this is to face your fears head on.  So???? whatcha gonna buy?

bear_grin

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

What am I going to buy?  http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=24339.  I've fallen in love with these bears!  Wendi has been very helpful!  bear_wub

Excellent choice, my dear!!!!  She is adorable and looks like a friend in need and you fit the bill!!

And you will find you feel so much better after you complete this adoption......

Of course I predict you will go through this traumatizing situtation again, however, we all know the cure....ok not a cure, a palliative treatment......

great big hugs, you dear thing..... You just keep on adopting whatever teddy grabs your heart and have fun!

Now what will she adopt next time?????

Board footer