Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I broke down and delved into my new sassy stache this weekend.  I'm not sure if this is considered a miniature or not, but it was really small for me.  the body is 4" but the total height of the bird is 6.5"  I used sassy longpile for the body, alpaca for the wings & tail, and black mink for the wingtip feathers.  legs, claws and eyelids are leather, neck is poseable.  I'll probably make it one of my leather bases, but I thought I'd like to show it alone first.  I'm quite proud of how he balences on the tips of his claws - only one claw in the raised leg touches the ground.  it's hard to tell in the photo's, but the top of his head is red, as it should be.  whoopers only show the black wing feathers in the outstreched position, but like the idea of them showing here, and used some poetic license

mini-heron-1-web.gif

mini-heron-1-2-web.gif

mini-heron-4-web.gif

mini-heron-close1-web.gif

I have to say that the fabric a wonder to work with, although it was a real pain-in-the-ankle to shave those seam allowences.  anybody got any tips on that?  I'm proud to say that I was able to sew almost the entire body on my machine, with the exception of the back gusset, and I'm amazed at how tiny of a seam allowence you can use. I did mine 3 stitches in from the edge, and I think 2 should be fairly easy.  nice stuff

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

He is a beautiful looking bird Kelly and you would never think he is that small bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Laurie :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Kelly,
     Your crane is stunning!!!!!  You SHOULD be proud of him! Well done.

hugs,

Brenda

Manuela Furry Critters
Website

bear_wub  bear_wub  OMG He is.... canĀ“t find words for that so smal and so wonderfull, he looks like your large ones . yes you can should be proud .
Manuela

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

He's gorgeous, Kelly!  I particularly like the way you shaped the beak and claws - very realistic bear_thumb
Chrisx

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

thanks, folks!  I'm learning that when you work this small, pattern counts for a lot.  on a bear with 1/4" mohair sticking out, you've got a lot of room to scissors=sculpt.  with this stuff, you're right there.  when I do this pattern again, I'll make the neck longer and the beak thinner - and maybe downsize it an inch.  I don't want to go too small, because I'd like to do one with chicks, and they'll have to be tiny.

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

again amazed!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I am so impressed with this bird....as the mommy of a parrot I can speak to a certain birdy like expression that you captured, beautifully, WHAT ART!!!

feet beak sublime, eyes perfect,

WOW!

Your work takes my breath away!

dilu

Dilu Posts: 8,574

When I work with sassy I pluck the stuff out of the seam allowances.

or use finger nail or embroidery scissors to cut it and then pluck it

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

no adequate words here  bear_wub

Marion

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Kelly: that is a beautiful whooping crane!!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

thanks, ya'll are very sweet.  I thought it might be fun to show a progression, so here is a picture of my latest whooping stork standing next to 'early bird' who was my very first long-legged bird, done about 3.5 years ago. 

bird-comparrison.gif

early bird is 7.5" tall, and was originally supposed to be a flamingo chick.  I considered him such a disaster that I kept him.  also in the pic, to give you an idea of scale, is one of my 6" eaglets

below is the crane standingwith timon, my7" (plus ears) bitty bunny

bird-bunny-comp.gif

suddenly, all of my old stuff seems quite coarse, but I think I'm going to like mini's ;-)

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Gorgeous bird, Kelly!
I cannot wait to see your next critter!  bear_thumb  bear_tongue

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

TeddyB Posts: 83

Very pretty bird!!!

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Absolutely fantastic!  The detail you got in this beautiful bird is amazing!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Kelly,

What a gorgeous bird! I am blown away by the detail.

Hugs,

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Stunning work. More miniatures to come? I hope so!  :clap:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Stunning bird. Your works continues to amaze.

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

wow..what a realistic bird!! Amazing..what are the feet made from?? I know it says leather..but is there something in there??..well done!!
Kerrilyn

Federbaerchen Federbaerchen
Munich - Germany

WOW I am sitting here with an open mouth, I cannot express how much I love your beautiful bird! What a gorgeous work, congratulations  :clap:

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

wow....fabulous work...such talent  :clap:
Lynne  bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

All your birds are to die for, but this little crane is mind-boggling!

You're so right about the importance of pattern on the little 'uns. I do mice, not birds, but the same applies. The gusset is a killer, so I'm working on a different sort of head, one piece with darts.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Dear Kelly,  I am a parrot owner and avid bird watcher, have been for many years.  You have gotten this exactly right.  The chest so puffed out, the tilt of his head, the eyes, the way he is posed. right on the money
Joanne

SewPerfectly Sunderland

Wow ,thats so amazing!!
I can see just gow you progressed.
I would never have thought the legsa were leather, I thought the limbs had been sculpted, the attached to the body.
I sincerly hope I become as good as you one day Kelly!

A Impressed Jackie

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Again, I'm awed by your work!  Wonderfu!!! 

Kimberly W.

Board footer