Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Help!!!

I was sewing a bear yesterday, when my machine made this weird churring noise and the needle stopped, and it's not worked properly since.  When I take the material out there is always a collection of massive loops of what I think is the bobbin thread, but I'm not certain- does anyone have any ideas how to cure this?  I've got loads of critters that need sewing up, including my pieces for the Teddy Bear International christmas carol theme, and really I need to have those finished within a week! Ulp!

Has anyone got any ideas? The book yields no answers, and to get the sellers to fix it will take more than a week....

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Just filling in until Dilu comes to the rescue, but . . .

I'd begin by changing the needle. These snarls are often the result of a dull or bent one.

Otherwise, you could double-check the threading, another simple source of problems, and make sure the bobbin is wound smoothly and seated securely.

That's all I've got . . . but it's probably not your machine!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks Eileen bear_original I will change the needle- haven't had to do that for a bit so hopefully thats it.... the websites say a lot about the thread tension, but I've not changed it, so I don't know if that could be it?  I'll check the bobbin to- I know you can adjus the tension there too but I've never had to do it before bear_tongue Guess I'll have to learn!

jacky jacky
essex

hi check to see if your tenshion spring on top as not broken. jacky

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Mine did that..I think the whole thing needed a service really..I really punish my machine on a daily basis..the needle was catching on the teeth that feed the fabric through so it all needed re-aligning, and a good cleaning and oiling. I do oil it a bit and stick the hoover up it when I remember but I am very naughty with it,  the tension was all wrong and so I got all the loops and the funny noise.
Now I am not a machine expert but I took it to a man who is and he fixed it.. it works fine now!!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I will definately check the tension then, sounds like that might be it... I wouldn't say that I use mine quite as much as you do yours though, Jenny!

Hopefully things will sort themselvs out....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Is the bobbin in correctly and the thread wound properly on the bobbin? Sometimes we get on "auto-pilot" when sewing and don't even realize we've put the bobbin in upside down. Sometime the "bunch of thread" thing happens to me if the bobbin is almost empty.

Tension is indeed often the problem too..... different thicknesses of fur, even slight, can sometimes be a problem..... and if you haven't had your machine cleaned, aligned, serviced in a while then it's definitely time as most start getting tempermental! Mine is acting up if I even look at it the wrong way and I know it's because it's full of fur, needs to be cleaned and re-aligned, etc. I'm too embarrassed to tell you how long its been since I took it in!

You may just need to clean the bobbin case.... there could be fur stuck in there or in the feed dogs (teeth).

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I agree, sounds like the bobbin casing needs to come out for a good cleaning and oiling.  You might want to take it to be serviced if it's been a while.

teeeej Brisbane
Daphne wrote:

Is the bobbin in correctly and the thread wound properly on the bobbin? Sometimes we get on "auto-pilot" when sewing and don't even realize we've put the bobbin in upside down. Sometime the "bunch of thread" thing happens to me if the bobbin is almost empty.

I had this happen once and the bobbin was in upside down. :redface:

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

The timing could be off, or whatever they call it.  When I sewed hot and heavy every day, I'd have to get it cleaned and worked on once a year.  I was bad for a few years and my motor was so dry it completely stove up...they had to soak it in oil for a few days before it "unfroze"...a big lesson!  Thank goodness it's a Bernina and built sooo well!!
hugs,
Leeann
Busser Bears

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Sewing machines can sure give us headaches.  I have a New Home and I can take the bobbin case out when I have this problem and clean the fur out of it.  I also can get the bottom off of the machine so that I can clean the fur from there.  This has always got my machine working again.  I have three machines but this is the one I like the best and I hope this works for a long time yet because I would sure hate to lose it.

Eva
www.ejcrafts.com

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Phew, I don't know what I did guys, but it's running again! Just in time for my Schulte delivery!!

I treid all your advice at once (whoops!) so I don't know what it was that fixed it- I changed the screw tension on the bobbin case and attempeted to open the machine but one screw beat me so I just did whatever I could fix externally XD  Thankfully it's working again fine, so I'm less stressed about this weekend now!

Thanks everyone for your excellent advice  bear_innocent  bear_flower  Ruddy things.... they do start to rule your life, don't they?

Board footer