Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

I'm venturing into unfamiliar waters and want to try the loc-line.  I understand how to use it in the arms and legs, but don't know how to use it in the head and neck.  Does anyone have any suggestions???

Wanda

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Wanda, I have seen loc-line done in a bear of a bear.  I have used loc-line many times in the arms and legs but never the head and neck...but I can tell you what I saw.  It looks like a larger unit of loc-line is used, like the 1/2" size.  It would support the neck better.

WHat it looks like is , the loc-line is placed into the head, probably fairly deep, then into the bocy and sewn around the neck and body top edge very VERY securely using thick uphostery thread or some kind of nylon thread.  Of course you don't want the head to come off.

Another way would be to add it to the skelton on the loc-line inside the bear.  There are some links inthe reference library but here is a photo of what this looks like;
doll200.jpg
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=2446

Maybe someone else has other ideas?

Deb Upstate New York

Judi ~

I was searching some of the posts on locline, and saw your instructions on heating up a nail to make a hole ... I assume to fit the screw or pin to attach the armature to the joint ... but I'm not understanding what you put the hole in.  Through one of those fat bead looking things?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

LOC_LINE05.jpgLOC_LINE03.jpgLOC_LINE02.jpgLOC_LINE01.jpgDeb,

The loc-line armature needs to be attached to the joint for a jointed bear(not like in the earlier post with the skelton of loc-line) To do this I heat up a nail, burn a hole the diamter of a large cotter pin. 
The cotter pin goes through the hole and into the joint.

These photos should help.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That's great Judi!!
Thanks for the time for the demo. Now I REALLY understand what's going on!

Heather

Deb Upstate New York

Thank you so much Judi!  :lol:

Picture worth a thousand words to us visual  learners.   :hug:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Wow...Judi...you're awesome...I had just what you pictured envisioned in my little head.   That must be a first for me...where's the bear with the dunce hat  bear_wacko

Macomb, IL
Website

Judi,

I knew I could count on you to answer my question.  Thanks so much.  I have seen Denise Purrington sell bears with locline in their necks and was having a hard time imagining how it would stay inside the body and inside the head.  I didn't know is she stitched the head to the body (with the locline inside head and body) so that the head would tilt from side to side, but not swivel, or if they did swivel too.

I ordered the 1/2" but am thinking it might be too large, so ordered some 1/4" locline for smaller bears.  Will do some experimenting.

Thanks again for the extra effort with the pics!

Wanda

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

You're all very welcome. :hug: 

Wanda, just to clarify a bit more.  The Loc-Line that I saw in the neck joint was sewn around the head section, and body top, separately.  It was sewn very tightly , just like sewing around a jointed neck joint.  This way the head can swivel and tilt and the Loc-Line serves as the neck joint bear_original bear_thumb :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I dont think I will be venturing into this for a while but it is great to know how to do it now!!!  I think it is great that you will share any info, you have helped me on numerous occasions, wish you lived closer so I could bring my bears over to you and get some pointers!!! Judi, I am jealous, you have one of those awesome stovetops (the ones without the burners) ....I want one of them!

Macomb, IL
Website
Judi wrote:

Wanda, just to clarify a bit more.  The Loc-Line that I saw in the neck joint was sewn around the head section, and body top, separately.  It was sewn very tightly , just like sewing around a jointed neck joint.  This way the head can swivel and tilt and the Loc-Line serves as the neck joint

Judi,

I usually close the head joint with the heavy eye floss which would be perfect for this technique.   The extra step for me would be sewing the loc-line where is it inserted into  the body.    I would then have to really make sure I got the loc-line sewn securely so it would not slip out of the body.  Egads!  That would be a nightmare!  Again, that floss is really strong and shouldn't tear or cut against the loc-line which is plastic and a smooth surface. 

So then the head could tilt.  For the head to swivel, it would turn around the loc-line in the head?  I'll have to give it a try.

Thank you for the info.

Hugs,

Wanda

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Wanda,
It sounds like a lot of mucking around just to get the head to tilt. Why not opt for a double neck joint instead..then you can move the head any which way you like..including a tilt.
Judi...you are such a help with your explanations and photos...hugs to you! :hug: bear_grin

Macomb, IL
Website

Hayley,

I usually do make the bears heads "tilty" by using the cotterpin jointing method by not tightening the cotterpin real tight.    The double cotterpin method gives them a broken neck effect which I don't particularly like.

I was hoping the loc-line method would hold the head in a tilted position without it falling over.  Just something new to try.  Thanks for the info.

Hugs,

Wanda

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

The Loc-Line in the 1/4" and 1/2" size (blue colored) is very strong.  Just a warning about the white armature less than 1/4"...it can break if over extended.  I learned this the hard way.  The blue heavy wieght Loc-line is really the best way to go unless you are making a smaller bear, then I would advise buyers of a bear that they should not over extend the poses too much.  With the blue...bend away......!!!

Australia

Wanda,
I actually meant a double neck joint, not a cotter pin wobble joint. A double neck joint is done using and extra joint between the shoulders and head. The neck joints are encased in an extra wedgelike piece of mohair and allow your head to move in ways otherwise unachievable. Many of Judi's bears have these neck joints which is why they can look up so well.
There's lots of info on this board on how to do one..just do a search.

Having said that, you are a very experienced artsist and chances are you already know what I'm talking about, but perhaps know it by a different name.

I have just done my first double neck joint and am very impressed...will be doing more.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:hug: What an awesome tutorial, Judi! Thanks!

I've got some white locline from Edinburgh (or is it Edinborough). Senior moment, here, and it's been a really long day.  :wacko:

Anyway does E carry the blue, or is there a better source?

What stovetop? All I see is a candle. Or maybe that's the latest in stovetops? No burners, just candles?  :/

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Fantastic pictures, Judi.  Thanks so much for posting in such detail.  I'll be referring back to them myself, when I'm ready to venture into LocLine.

I have a Denise Purrington bear -- a huge panda -- and it has LocLine in the neck for wonderful posing!  Her bears are really superb.

Macomb, IL
Website

Hayley,

Oops! ... Yes, I know what you mean about the double neck joint. ..... Haven't tried one of those yet either, but I'm sure it would work.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Shelli,

I'm jealous, love the bears by Denise.

Judy,

Ordered the 1/2" kit from Sierra Meadows (might as well take advantage of their sale) and it is white, but feels very sturdy.   Ordering the 1/4" kit also for smaller bears.   Who sells the blue???

Hugs,

Wanda

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Wanda,
I think the white is just as sturdy in the 1/2" size.  I have only bought the blue from Edinburgh and the smaller white from CR's Crafts.  I think the thicker is just harder to snap so it makes the finished limbs more durable.

I still use the smaller sizes in some of my smaller bears...I just can't wrench on thier arms...not that I would want to anyway. bear_grin

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hello everyone,

I have some questions on all of this. Looking on the internet  for information on all this, I am getting confused.  bear_sad 

Fully jointed, loc line, disc, etc.
What does fully jointed mean? What is the difference between fully jointed and loc line, if any?

I just bought some disc and washers. The disc sizes are 1 1/4x1/8 , 1", and then some are 3/4x1/8. These ones seem rather small.
Are these big enough for about medium size bears? Did I get the right ones?

and some metal washers, 5/8.
My question is. Are these big enough for about medium size bears? about 20"  To go with the disc I got?

Armatures; here I thought I understood. I read somewhere on here that one of the teddy artists makes her own. Sorry I don't remember who.  bear_whistle I have been reading a lot. Anyway, that is kind what I was thinking. But I have also seen some that look like rubber sticks with eye holes at the end.

I hope you can help me with this....I am almost ready to put one of my bears together and I what it to right.

Thanks  bear_original 
Kassity

Oregon

ok now I feel silly....... bear_wacko
I missed the pictures...... bear_grin that Judi put on....
silly me.

I will look again....
Kassity

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Kassity,

It is completely understandable how all of this can be confusing as there several ways to add flexibility to the arms and/or legs of a bear.

The "rubber stick" you mentioned is called a Flexi Limb.  This is a wire surrounded by foam rubber that can be attched to a joint to created a flexible limb.

As you noticed in my post, I use Loc-Line armature.  This is very strong and works well for me.

Fully jointed means that a bear is jointed five ways (both legs, arms, and head).  If you notice on the photos I burn a hole through the lockline then proceede to joint with a large cotter pin. So the bear is not only fully jointed but also has armature added.

I hope this helps bear_original

No question is a bad question so please feel free to pick out brains here.

Best of luck!

Oregon

Hi Judi, 

Thank you ......that does help a lot.  :hug:   
I am catching on. Did a lot of reading last night. It is like "shop talk here". When everyone knows what they are talking about it is at times hard to keep up and understand. I am a visualization type of person , as I am sure many here are. I just work better in picture form. The pictures really help.
I really like the Loc-Line idea. I think I am going try those.

Thanks Judi  :hug:

Australia

Kassity,
You can also make your own..I use the method shared with us by my good friend Kris Holmberg of Raspbearies and it's very cheap and easy. You can get everything you need at your local hardware.
Laura Lyn has kindly made a photo tutorial of how to make them on her website, but I couldn't find it so maybe it was just for TT people and isn't listed on the main site? Laura Lyn????? Y'out there??? bear_laugh

Oregon

Oh cool Hayley,  bear_thumb

Thanks I will watch the posts.....

Kassity  :hug:

I have to sign out now...back to work...... Being the bear_wacko that I am!

I am listening to good advise by all you great girls. About being on here too much...too funny.

Bye for now........ big big big big  :hug:

Board footer