Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi everyone, 

I got a joint question. I am jointing a couple of my bears and I have noticed that they wouldn't stand up. They fall over.  bear_grin  Their tummy's are weighted. I am using disc joints - five way, no armatures. Do I need to use armatures to help them stand up? Or will they stand without an armature? If tighten the disc have anything to do with it. How tight should the cotter pins be?  I put them pretty tight!
Or is it just my design...... bear_grin  bear_grin Big headed bear fall down!!!!  bear_grin

Thanks
Big Bear Hugs

Kassity

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Generally you would put the weight in their feet..  Firmly stuff their feet while the foot is on a flat surface so the foot remains flat.
That is all I tend to do.  But I'm sure the other people here will let you know.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Kassity,

Bronwen is right about weighting the feet. Also make sure the ankles are very firmly stuffed to support him. You can weight the body but best to focus the weight to his bum only, away from the tummy if he tends to fall forward. Most importantly is to be sure your joints are tight. Remember, as time goes on and those legs are moved the fur between the joints will pack down the limbs will become looser. This is a fact of life for teddy bears. So, joints should be very hard to turn when you first do them. In fact I make mine so tight they barely move at all. Once you stuff the bear the joints will be looser. And then time will do it's job also as mentioned.

Design factors in a lot here too. If the bear has a big head that is positioned on the neck so that it's forward and looking down this is going to make the bear fall forward unless he has big huge clown feet to balance him out. Also, if arms and legs are positioned towards the front of the body he'll tip over. If you position head, arms and legs in a straight line down the side of the body this will create a much more balanced bear, more likely to stand on his own two feet.

One more thing... when stuffing the feet try to keep the footpads flat. I place my foot on the table then stuff. I pack really hard but by keeping that foot on the table it will take on a flat-footedness making it easier for the bear to stand and not wobble. Some put a piece of cardboard in the foot before stuffing. There are many methods to having a flat foot.

Hope this all helps and didn't just totally confuse you!

:hug:  Daphne

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi Bronwen & Daphne,

Thank you for your help.

Daphne ... no it did not confuse me all...your explanation was very clear.  Thank you bear_original  I will try different things and see what works with this bear. It may be the design on the feet? I can see how very flat feet would work best. I did consider that while I was stuffing. I did lower my weight in this bear, "bum" to help, but I think you are right, "the feet".

I was kidding about the "big headed bears fall down."  bear_grin 

Thank you both for your help.

Big Bear Hugs   :hug:

Kassity

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Just Us Bears wrote:

Kassity,
You can also make your own..I use the method shared with us by my good friend Kris Holmberg of Raspbearies and it's very cheap and easy. You can get everything you need at your local hardware.
Laura Lyn has kindly made a photo tutorial of how to make them on her website, but I couldn't find it so maybe it was just for TT people and isn't listed on the main site? Laura Lyn????? Y'out there??? :D

Sorry I missed this!

here's the link :)

http://teddiesbylauralynn.com/bearmaking/armatures.html

Just went out today (finally) and bought some stuff.... my next bear MIGHT have flexible arms!!

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Judi
Can you use your method with the screws and lock nuts instead of the cotter pins?
Hugs
Gail

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

carsoncreations wrote:

......., but don't know how to use it (Loc-Line) in the head and neck.  Does anyone have any suggestions???

There are directions in the Edinburgh Archives..... I don't usually post about other sites on other boards (either of them LOL!).. but this is good info!!!  :)

Click on Artist Tips & Techniques Archives on this page:  http://www.edinburghimports.com/archives/ and then scroll down to August 2001 - Jointing with Loc Line.

The directions looks very confusing at first.... then I got out my Loc-Line stuff and just started doing it.. and found that the directions were actually straightforward :)

I've got a bear in process now.... to see if I truly understood the directions  :crackup:

K Pawz Guest

Thanks for all the great info everyone!!! I think I will get some from CR's Crafts

Hugs,
KRista

Board footer