Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jigpaws Jigpaws
Edinburgh, Scotland

I've been playing about with different designs with my bears and I've decided I'd like to have a go at airbrushing but wondered if any of you wonderful TTers could give ma a little advice on what equipment to buy.

I'm not quite sure whether to go down the CO2 route or the compressor route. After reading previous posts about this topic I know that if I decide to go down the compressor route I need to look for a compressor with 28-40 PSI but is this all I need to look out for when choosing one (there's so many out there!!) and if I buy a kit is pretty much everything I need in the kit (unless you want to buy a better brush...which I probably will).

However, if I decide to go down the CO2 route what other equipment do I need to buy? I take it I need a hose but is there a special type of hose I need and I read in a previous post I need a pressure gauge but again is there a special type I need?

I would be very grateful for any help you could give me  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Thanks.

Hugs
Janice

Oops....just realised I should have posted this on the tips and techniques section  :doh:  :doh:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Janice.  So you want to take the airbrushing plunge...well good for you. :clap:   I would  learning as much as you can.    This is an art form that does require lots of practice to master.

Here is a link which I copied from our TT library.  This is a  good place to start:

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=9456

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=5162

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=22905

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=22259

These should get you started and there are even more threads on this subject in the TT Library.  When you click on the Library you'll get a drop down menu....then you'll see Airbrushing right near the top.  Click on that and all the results will show. There is just over a page of really useful information on airbrushing and other ways to shade bears. 

Also, please feel free to post any more questions you may have and we'll be happy tp help you.

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

This is going to be really silly. Judi I know you are really profesional so please dont laugh too loudly. What about the kits for nail art etc??? I make minis and have thought about trying. I also cant lug too much around the world with me. Or the old nebulisors? Or the hand held tanning systems?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Carolynn, I have never even thought about the nail kits before, but you know...you just might be on to something here.  Especially for miniatures.  Do you have any photos you could post here of what the airbrush kits look like? 

I would think the hand held tanning system airbrushes might not be able to adjust to a fine flow and therefore would not likely work for really good details for bears.  But having never seen the system I cannot say for sure.

I would be interested to see a nail system because I understand they can get some pretty good detailing with them.

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Hi

This was one of the nail airbrush systems I found. There was another one too that looked even better and cant find it again and didnt bookmark it bear_ermm .http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=25734. Have got loads on ebay too. I liked the fact it was small and light. Have to think about that for moving around.

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Hi, I have an Iwata airbrush that nail techs use for nail art.  It's great for minis and big bears too.  It give you a lot of control.  I use a badger compressor.  I use dye-na-flow by Jacquard in it.  I've tried other paints and it gums it up badly but the dye-na-flow doesn't and there are plenty of colors to choose from.
fishie2.jpg

Airbrushing is fun and easy.  I taught myself and am getting better the longer I do it. 
Hugs,
Alison

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

bears-2041.jpgCool fish Alison.

I have never used dye-na-flow. Are they opaque?
I have been airbrushing for 25 years with high quality acrylics.  When the paints are properly prepared the results are excellent, permanent ,and soft and they flow beautifully through an airbrush.  They do have a tendency to clog with prolonged use, but it is easy to unclog it, and the end results are worth the effort.

What I like most about acrylics is that they have some opacity to them so when they are layered they have some coverage over each under lying layer.   I have tried some inks but I always come back to arcylics.  It creates more depth than transparent inks and dyes.

I airbrushed this tiger jacket about 17 years ago.  It's acrylic and has been through the washer and dryer quite a few times.

It looks like you have some very nice results with the dye-na-flow.  All you need is lots of practice. bear_thumb  :clap:

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Judi, WOW the jacket is fantastic.  Jacquard makes lots of different paint and dyes for fiber art.  The dye-na-flow is not opaque.  Jacquard makes Neopaque which is and Lumiere which is the same in metalics.  I have both but have not had luck with either.  It's clog city and then I just hand the airbrush over to my hubby who has to take it completely apart.   Is there any info in the library on how to prepare acrylics for airbrushing?  I'll have to look.  I'd like to try to use some other mediums but haven't had much luck with anything but the dye-na-flow.  Jacquard now has a product they are calling airbrush colors that I may try but I'd like to be able to use some of the Neopauqe and Lumiere that I already purchased.  Here's a link to the Jacquard website if anyone is interested in their products.  http://www.jacquardproducts.com/

Hugs,
Alison

Board footer