Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I have a needle felting kit that I have had since last xmas and am determined to have a go.After a few practice tries I would like to have a go at needle felting the feet and paws of my bears.These questions may have been asked before but can you needlefelt over any material including ultrasuede or woolfelt or is it better to stick to mohair or synthetics.I would like to make individual pads so do I start these on the sponge block and then add to the foot or can I just start on the foot and build it up from there.Do you do your needlefelting when the whole bear is finished and stuffed or needlefelt the pads before they are sewn into the leg or paw?
My only other question is how far does the wool go?
I would like to try foot and paw pads on a 12 inch bear and I have seen some that is sold in 10 gram amounts.How much would you expect to use as I don't want to make a start and find I don't have enough?
I think that is enough questions for today bear_whistle  bear_laugh  bear_tongue
Many thanks bear_flower  bear_flower bear_flower
Laurie  :hug:

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Hi Laurie
I've needle felted paw pads, but wouldn't think that it would work through ultrasuede. I think that you would end up destroying it to the point that it would fall apart. So use wool felt or trimmed back or reversed mohair fabric. When I've done paws, it's after the bear's complete, it can be quite a relaxing thing to do. Form them up on the foam block first, trying to get them to match as you do, then use some whispy bits to needle them into the paw, you can also reshape them a little at this stage by adding more to them. As for how much roving you will need, it rather depends on how sculptural you make them, get plenty because I can guarrantee that once you start you'll want to do alot more! Have fun! bear_original  bear_original

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I have needlefelted onto ultra suede okay....I haven't done individual toes as I had trouble getting them the same size.
What I do is felt a piece on the foam block the size to fit across the toe , then felt it onto the footpad and then use embriodery thread to seperate each toe. By pulling the embroidery thread it puffs up the toes nicely.

I generally work on the toes when the legs are complete, stuffed etc but not attached to the body..

If you check out my website, Hyacyne has had this sort of work done on her toes..

This craft is very addictive, have fun with it...

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Thank you Linda and Denise bear_flower
Denise Hyacyne is very sweet bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Laurie :hug:

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Hi Laurie, I needlefelt directly onto the feet of miniature bears (when they are finished) and do one piece like Denise and then separate the toes. If it's a bigger bear I do them separate little toes and felt on after bear is finished, usually have to add more to get them correct size.  I don't use ultra suede either, just wool felt or reverse mohair.  I have to say that the small balls seem to go a long way but I agree to get plenty in coz you will want to do more and more.

Pauline

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Thank you Pauline bear_flower
Laurie :hug:

Board footer