Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I'm working on a big custom bear at the moment...and I'm used to working on smaller bears...well, because I have problems with arthritis, I'm finding that its quite painful on my back, neck, ribs to hunch over so long stuffing, sewing in ears, nose...does everyone hold the bear on their lap while they do these things or is it just me?  I've tried lifting the bear higher, but nothing works like a lap for non slip surface etc....any ideas???  With smaller bears these things are over with so quickly that cramping time barely even begins and I move onto another task...this is a little harder!
PS....just mentioning that last time I made a big bear I swore I'd never make another because of the stuffing...but this time I'm using Donna's stuffing tool and it is sooo easy!!! It all stays in place too and doesn't slip around... bear_thumb  Besides the pain from the bending, I'm really enjoying making this one  bear_grin

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Sarah, my tip is to sit on a proper dining chair with a rigid back so your back is straight and put your feet on something ... I use a big sewing solid sewing box, but a footstool might work.  It lifts your knees to a height where you can comfortably place the bear's head between your knees to sew noses, put in eyes, sew ears etc without having to bend. 

I also have a wheeled trolley with my sewing bits 'n pieces on the top surface, so it's right beside me at a comfortable height while I work.

Hope that helps!

Australia

Yes that does Paula, thank you!  :hug:  I didn't even think of raising my feet, just my lap, which is tricky lol, and I have been holding the bear the other way, feet into my tummy, which makes me hunch even more  bear_rolleyes , seems crazy now I type it out how hard I'm making things for myself!  I'll have to find something the right height to rest the body on.... thanks  bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey, Sarah . . . I use a method that raises my feet, too, but I sit a little differently from Paula.  I have a comfortable, adjustable chair in front of my sewing machine.  I prop my feet up on the slightly open bottom drawer of my desk (that my machine sits on), then adjust the chair to lean back slightly - so that I'm sort of in a recliner position while I'm stuffing.  Very comfy!

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

i actually sit cross legs on the bed bear_grin and if it gets numb, than i would stretch it.. and i would lean against the wall for support. for me, that position is low enough for me.. my place is so small, you cant put those regular tables and chairs bear_tongue so i have to do with the bed..

Australia

Thanks SueAnn and Ming, isn't it amazing how we all work differently  bear_original   Well, the ears and nose went in yesterday, I'm zippy with ears and nose on a small bear, but big...the task is daunting!  I think it was a tad easier with my feet raised, I'lll try the bed way next time Ming...lol....that sounds good too, if I can cross my legs  bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I sit on the couch/sofa with my feet on the coffee table. Something ends up falling asleep and I have to get up but it's comfy. I do find myself always working in my lap, even at my work table.... and I can't stop myself.

One answer might be helpful for not only your back, ribs, etc. but your hands too..... only stuff for 15-20 minutes at a time then get up and go do something else. The whole process might take longer but it'll hurt a lot less!

Another thought..... work while standing at the kitchen counter... again for short periods of time this might work well.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi Sarah
I do like Daphne, I sit on the sofa for most of the hand work.  Only difference is I sit lengthwise on the sofa with two bed pillows under my knees.  I have the coffee table pulled real close to the sofa, so all my bear necessities are close at hand.  Beside the pillows helping my aching back, they help form a nice lap and also provide a place (between my thighs) to hold my bear for nose stitching, eye attaching, and the like.  Hope that made sense. 
The only drawback is, like Daphne, sometimes I get too comfy and fall into la-la land.  :doh:

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

I have a problem with my neck, a whiplash injury of 20 years ago and I find tilting me head forward for too long guarentees a trip to the physio but I love to do my work in a comfy lounge chair. I visted the rubber store and got a "hard" foam block that is quite big and sit that oin my lap with my feet up also. The foam block stops everything slipping off. I stick my needles and felting needles and pins into it and when lazy use it as a felting block too!! It's perfect and raises everything up that little bit higher without causing too many problems and nothing rolls away.

Australia

Sandra, thats a fabulous idea and I bet it will work....I've tried the pillows...all sorts piled on my lap to raise the level but still keep the control with no slip, but nothing works well enough...but this sounds so promising...the surface on the foam should do it, I may be able to shape it too...thanks!
Laura, I like your idea too, will try that one, and Daphne, yes, I was thinking of just standing if all else fails..and, ahhh, yes...the old 15 mins rule...lol...I never can stop myself!  bear_whistle
okay, so I have many bears to make to try out all these techniques lol
thanks soooooooo much everyone  :hug:  :hug:

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

My most comfy position is to sit on my couch with a pillow I bought from my physio behind me and a stable table on my knees no slipping ( and sometimes I even stretch my legs along the couch.) My Beagle Busta lays next to me and snoozes while I work.  He keeps my legs very warm and I chatter away while I work to him (I know he's listening his ears are twitching but his eyes are closed lol) bear_grin  bear_grin

Raewyn

Australia

Raewyn, my dog keeps me company too, aren't they the best  bear_innocent he even sits on my lap as I sew or stuff, awkward at times hehe

Board footer