Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Peggy Lakeland Teddies
Bonnyville, Alberta

I have been reading the posts on this site regarding the new rating system that Ebay has implemented.  I agree, it sucks!  I'm sure it's not the last of the changes that Ebay will be implementing and you can bet that any changes they make are to benefit Ebay and not the little guys (like many of us).

I have also read many comments about finding an alternative auction site(s).  I'm providing my two cents worth in regards to an alternative auction site called The Teddy Patch. www.theteddypatch.com.  Luralee (the owner/creator of The Teddy Patch) has done a great job on this site and made it very user friendly.  She is also a teddy bear artist and understands how tough it is to get started selling.  I truly believe that her goal in setting up the site was to make it easier for struggling artists to get their wonderful teddy bears out there without having to spend money. 

Unfortunately, there is one big problem.  The teddy bear collectors don't know about it so there is no one there to buy.  The only way to get them to visit the site and buy all of our wonderful teddy bears and friends is if we all list something and direct our collectors there. 

I'm just a little teddy bear artist; my teddy bears don't sell for a lot of money.  I haven't entered any contests, haven't won any awards, don't go to teddy bear shows and don't have a big collector list.  When I list items on Ebay, IF a bear sells, a big percentage of the money I receive goes into paying the listing fee and final fee.  There's not much left over.  If my bear doesn't sell, I'm still paying listing fees.  When I discovered The Teddy Patch, I was very excited.

I don't have a vested interest in the Teddy Patch; in fact I don't even know Luralee personally, but I have e-mailed her for information regarding her site.  However, I truly love the concept – IT'S FREE TO LIST AND YOU GET A FREE STORE! Ebay is certainly not offering that and never will.

Another good thing about The Teddy Patch is – the rules don't change every other day.  In my opinion, it is the way to go.  Please give it a chance and list something on The Teddy Patch and direct your collectors there.  If we all list just one thing, we will have our own "exclusive teddy bear auction site" FOR LESS and can get rid of all the drama that Ebay brings and also give them some competition.  As the saying goes, there is strength in numbers.

It is such a shame that we have this great site right under our noses and yet, we choose to ignore it and continue to look for alternative ways to sell.  Please visit www.theteddypatch.com today and list one item.  If it doesn't sell, you haven't lost any thing.

Thanks for listening.  bear_original

Peggy

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Peggy, chuck, I'm with you  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Your post above highlights the exact problem that exists, I too am a minow in the big pond, I don't have an army of collectors and like you ebay costs me more than any profit I make, so much so that I have not listed for the last 2 months. My last bear didn't sell, had 1 watcher but the collector who purchased her at Newark show was delighted and didn't put her down, that was worth alot to me.

I don't have a hate relationship with ebay, in fact I adore it as a buyer, for all manor of things...................I know that if the artist bear section reduced dramatically I would be, as a buyer, wondering where it had gone.

I have said in previous posts "the big guys" need to decide on a site and go for it, we will follow. I have not named names, as everyone's business is their own and wouldn't want to put those guys on the spot.

I feel (PUTING MY NECK OUT AGAIN) that the established artists who sell on ebay continue to do so for a number of reasons
1 They have always done so
2 Althougth they may have seen a downturn in the amount their bears sell for, they still sell and it is the likes of you and I who actually have No bid after No bid
3 Fear of.......................????

At the end of the day, I think ebay will make it harder and harder, more obsticles

I understand your frustration, I feel it too but each person has to make their own choices

Before anyone jumps on my reasons for continueing to list on ebay, they were just that, a list, no finger pointing is intended or malice intended, just trying to move this subject up a notch

This subject has been discussed in several postings but to no result, maybe those that do list would like to say why they are reluctant to try another site, it may be of help

A co-ordinated listing date for another site, being organised to send a mailshot announcing such, may help

Just my thoughts Peggy, in agreement with you bear_thumb  bear_thumb

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

A co-ordinated listing date for another site, being organised to send a mailshot announcing such, may help

Nancy  has done this numerous times on Bid4bears and it doesnt' seem to have had a lasting effect. To me Bid4bears seems quite similar to Teddy Patch so don't see the advantage in it over Bid4bears - although I haven't tried it yet - still trying to find out some info on what sales are like there. Nancy Tillberg created Bid4bears in response to requests by TT'ers for a better place than ebay to sell their bears - but everyone hasn't supported her - or they've tried it and didn't have good results so they drifted back to ebay.
I don't think people are as concerned about whether the site is FREE as what the results will be - it is still a lot of work to take photos, do up the description, and list the item if it isn't going to get any bids!

I still think a lot of the problem is that there are too many other options if someone leaves ebay - Bid4bears, Teddy Patch, Etsy, Bear Pile, and who knows what else! - so it is too spread out and diluted and the majority of the collectors and artists are still on ebay so if they don't get sales on these other sites everyone just drifts back to ebay where the majority of the action is.

I would love to see ONE of these newer sites become the major place for artist bear sales instead of ebay but just don't see how it is going to happen!

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia
edie wrote:

Nancy  has done this numerous times on Bid4bears and it doesnt' seem to have had a lasting effect. To me Bid4bears seems quite similar to Teddy Patch so don't see the advantage in it over Bid4bears - although I haven't tried it yet - still trying to find out some info on what sales are like there. Nancy Tillberg created Bid4bears in response to requests by TT'ers for a better place than ebay to sell their bears - but everyone hasn't supported her - or they've tried it and didn't have good results so they drifted back to ebay.
I don't think people are as concerned about whether the site is FREE as what the results will be - it is still a lot of work to take photos, do up the description, and list the item if it isn't going to get any bids!

I still think a lot of the problem is that there are too many other options if someone leaves ebay - Bid4bears, Teddy Patch, Etsy, Bear Pile, and who knows what else! - so it is too spread out and diluted and the majority of the collectors and artists are still on ebay so if they don't get sales on these other sites everyone just drifts back to ebay where the majority of the action is.

I would love to see ONE of these newer sites become the major place for artist bear sales instead of ebay but just don't see how it is going to happen!

I tend to agee with you Edie.

I think both Bid4Bears and Teddy Patch would be great alternatives to eBay, but unless EVERYONE makes the move and STAYS there until the collectors have to come there because there are no bears left on eBay...NOT A DARN THING WILL EVER CHANGE...eBay will continue making more money than ever and the Artists will continue to complain.

As artists we all need a good dose of resolve and perseverance!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I agree, I think the problem with the B4B campaign is that it runs from, start date to end date.....collectors just wait till their favourite artists finish with their "moment of madness" (I am joking bear_tongue ) and come back to Ebay....no end date would probably help???  You see, its a bother to collectors to sign up, learn the new system...many people aren't computer literate and so wait till Ebay, is used again.
I'm making my Christmas bear now, and will list it wherever is agreed, I'm not saying I'm anyone special, but we all have mailing lists don't we, and I'm sure the people that do follow the bigger artists around would be on some of our lists as well....maybe if we all just start, and eventually it will work....I dunno...

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

Hi everyone;

This is a "pet" subject of mine, too. Finding a place other than eBay to sell my bears. I had an eBay store for a while and did quite well, but the higher fees and lower traffic forced me out. I listed two for auction recently, no luck. I'm not a huge seller, either. I make bears because I love them and can't stop creating. Anyway, I'm here to find out what other people are doing and trying to get new ideas and share my own.  bear_rolleyes

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Come January (won't be having any auctions until then) I am going to try listing on Bid4Bears again (I sold 16 out of 26 listed there in just over a year) and will also give Teddy Patch a try at the same time and see how it goes. If anyone is interested, maybe we can get a group together to all try some listings on those two sites starting around the same time???? It would probably have to not be before Jan 15 for me.

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I am willing to give another bear selling site ago.

Like many, the last 4 bears on e-bay have not sold but I still have to pay the listing fees.

January I am definately going to give one of the other sites a go.

Perhaps noting it on my website that, that is where my bears will be up for sale as from Jan 2009.

Also emailing all previous buyers.

We must cut the umbilical cord from e-bay if we want to sell I think..

Edie-I didn't mean Nancy on the advertising, I meant all us artitst  bear_thumb and January sounds a great idea

Sandi-that's what I wanted to say, well said bear_thumb

Sarah and Vicki-Yes if we all do just start, eventually more and more collectors will realise that we are still listing and follow bear_thumb 

Denise-love the line "cutting the umbilical cord" bear_grin

Sorry if I sound like a campaigner, I read all the time "ebay this, ebay that" and think there are alternatives so lets all get together and go for it, I can only see ebay getting worse, not just the rules but the buying habits

By buying habits, I mean that since I started 18 months ago, I have seen loads of "artists" come and go on ebay, there are alot who see the big prices and think "yay I'll have some of that" and have a go to make money. They list at less than the cost of the mohair and are gone very quickly. For me I would like to sell a bear in 20 years time to someone who has bought one from me now. A few like all of you guys and me are in it for much more, the shear pleasure it brings in many ways. For me if I sold on ebay for the minimum then ok, but the thing that gets to me is not selling, I find it soul destroying. bear_cry 

I do think that maybe there is enough of us to list on both bid4bears and the teddy patch, should we be putting our eggs in one basket again??!!

So I will try both from January.................The Teddy Patch and Bid4Bears bear_thumb  bear_thumb

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

I have just removed my eBay link from TT ... if you are really serious about giving it a go, join me!

Maybe we can entice TT to replace it with Bid4Bears and Teddy Patch, or at least add them so we can encourage people to use them.

Can it be done Quy?

What do you say girls?

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Just adding my own tiny squeak here girls - I've ummed and ahhhed about eBay , but I'm afraid it's just too scary  bear_ermm  . I really don't feel
I'll rejoin that "super-lane highway" at any point ... it just wouldn't be worth the hassle .
I'm really interested in trying Bid4Bears though , and a whole crowd of us (that grows and grows !) would be fantastic ; it is so beautifully tailored to
bear buyers !  bear_thumb A button under our avatars to get to alternative venues would be great ! I shall look forward to starting a new habit in January - I've gotten so out of
auctioning mode ! I hope we can pull together and make a difference  :clap:  :clap:

Hopeful Hugs , Ruth   :hug:

cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney

Well my link is gone now too!! Not that I've listed with ebay for a long time- soooo not worth it!!!
I've had extremely good results with the other sites mentioned above and when I do manage to get some bears done for online sale (over and above live shows) I'll be happy to join the lineup in January.

Cheers Mel

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Well girls time to put "MY money where my mouth is"  :crackup:

I'm in....................................at the end of the day, never say never, so if you feel you don't want to "cut the umbilical cord" then ITS OK

All we ask is, if enough try it, then in time ebay will not be our ONLY auction venue, therefore reducing thier monopoly and giving other sites a good chance, there is no reason we can't use ALL venues

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I wouldn't mind trying something else as I have never been that keen on e bay for selling as it is so hit and miss.It costs so much to list for one bear let alone repeating your listings if the items don't sell.I would rather use the money to buy more supplies.I saw a bear on e bay the other day that had started on 99p and the seller usually sells bears for between £40 and £50 for that size and it went for £9!!!!
I have donated 2 of my bears for the xmas aution at abracadbra bear shop in essex for the animals asia and I would much rather do that and raise money for a worthy cause than see my bears go for next to nothing because they were listed at 99p and didn't sell for much.Sales are so poor on there at the moment too.I put too much time and effort into making my bears and am not prepared to sell for next to nothing-I would rather keep them myself.
Laurie :hug:
P.s I have just removed my e bay link too.

russellbears Russell Bears
Perth
Website

Just removed my link, I'm in too bear_thumb

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

I put up a post a while ago saying that I am willing to write article after article promtoing alternatives for ebay.......have spoken to or soon will be contacting both organiser of the other sites. You guys tell me what dates you want to run specials or something on these sites and I'll do the stories.

My magazine is here to help the artists......you just have tot tell me what you are adoing and when.........and suppot us in return by doing our comps  bear_grin  and helping the articles and what you want us to say and do!!!

Sandra, thank you  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

I have just purchased my first copy of your magazine and I will certianly be buying from now on, it was packed with goodies  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

It looks like we are heading for January.....................please correct me if I am wrong :dance:

Sallyanne Sally Anne Bears
Lincoln
Website

I'd like to join in too please bear_wub

Hugs
Sandra

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I've only ever listed on B4B and am very satisfied with the whole site. Of course I'm not one of the 'big ones' and since I work full-time I don't have much time to make too many bears but in the past year I've sold 12 bears and listed maybe 20 in all. Nancy's fees are not high - and during her promotion months the listing fees are waived.  :clap:
As to exchanging the ebay link for B4B or TeddyPatch - I believe we've asked before if this could be added and it wasn't feasible. In the alternative, you can list it below your profile.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

I have been listing on Bid4Bears off and on since it started and I am very happy with the site. Now, my bears sell just as well on that site as they do on ebay.  I seem to get just as many people looking at my bears there as on ebay. Ebay seems to have more bidders and there is a better chance of a bidding war but if you list a bear for what you want to sell it for and pay less to sell it that is a win-win situation.

A lot of customers that I have sold to on ebay have bought my bears on Bid4Bears but I have met quite a few new customers as well.

People get into a rut and find it hard to change. When I first started listing on Bid4Bears, I had a customer email me and "let me know when you will be going back to ebay." Then  a couple of weeks ago I listed a little bear on ebay and someone emailed me as said "Please notify me when you will be listing one like that on Bid4Bears!!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

People get into a rut and find it hard to change. When I first started listing on Bid4Bears, I had a customer email me and "let me know when you will be going back to ebay." Then  a couple of weeks ago I listed a little bear on ebay and someone emailed me as said "Please notify me when you will be listing one like that on Bid4Bears!!

That is so interesting, Terrie! I know I am always reluctant to try to figure out how new sites work but really bid4bears was just a piece of cake. I am really going to give it a determined try starting January and see if I can build up some business there for my bears!  bear_grin

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

I totally agree!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

With my some of my ebay panda auctions ending at over $2000 I guess I would be one of the "big guys". I started listing more on B4B recently and then as an experiment I recently listed one more panda on ebay. Guess what? My panda on B4B sold for $900...a couple of weeks later my ebay panda sold for $900. While it is true that I had less hits and bids on B4B the end results were the same as ebay (and I didn't have the high ebay fees and the stress of worrying about bad bidders). That says to me...where you go your loyal collectors will follow.  But I agree that more of the high selling artists need to support the other auction sites because to make these other auction sites more successful the high bidding collectors need to be there too.

I plan on listing on Teddy Patch and etsy too...also staying visible in the magazines is important. I always make sure that my bears are published on a regular basis because not all collectors are comfortable with computers.

Ebay was very important in my past but with all of the ebay changes I don't think that we have much of a future.

You will definitely see my bears on B4B. I hope that more of you will join me there.
Hugs
Kathy

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Bid4Bears seems to be picking up speed and I am glad to see it having some success.  As a teddy bear collector who frequently purchases from eBay, I am going to share an opinion at the risk of being flayed alive here.  The thumbnails on Bid4Bears should be bigger.  I like to look quickly and not spend a lot of time clicking on each auction to truly see the bear.  I know this opinion has been mentioned before and I know nothing about setting up and running a website so maybe it is too costly or large an undertaking to make the thumbnails larger..........  Just my opinion....... as a collector and purchaser and user of eBay.

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

I'll definitely list on B4B and Teddy Patch. I am currently listing on Etsy, but I find they aren't really bear friendly... as they have no category for artist bears. I like hanging out with you guys and I'm excited  bear_grin ! Vicki

Board footer