Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

In a recent discussion it became apparent that many of us have bears that just won't sell or don't look 'quite right' yet but we can't figure out what the problem is or how to fix it. We need your help!!!

Here's how it works: An artist will post photo(s) of their misfit bear(s) here. Clear, close up photos would be best. Then you, our fellow artists and collectors, are asked to post constructive criticism and/or offer suggestions on how the artist can fix or finish the piece so that it might actually be adoptable!

Two rules:
1. No nicey fluffy comments about how the bear is adorable and perfect just the way it is, that you can't understand why no one has adopted it, blah... blah....
2. Be respectful. Constructive feedback is meant to be helpful, not insult one's abilities, techniques. The idea is to help us improve our work, offer suggestions from your perspective but not hurt feelings. Though the artists posting their work know they must have thick skin all the same!

With so much talent and diversity here this can be a wonderfully enlightening and educational experience for everyone!

Anyone needing help with a misfit or unfinished bear is encouraged to post photos here!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'll go first:

Here are 2 bears I made a few months ago in an attempt to get away from my big nosed/big foot bears and into something more traditional/old fashioned. It was a harder transition than I thought! These 13" bears have been to 4 shows and they didn't get so much as a glance from collectors. I've got a show coming up in 3 weeks and want to bring them and actually SELL them this time!! What can I do to make them more attractive? They have eye whites... something I don't normally do. Are they in the wrong place? Should I remove them? Other suggestions?

Ellsworth2-lott.jpg

Camden-lott.jpg]

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

maybe try some shading around the eyes to give them more depth?
Hugs
Gail :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Yep I think some shading around the eyes and the ears and the pads would perk them up . what about a little needle sculpting along the bridge of the nose and then perhaps resetting the eyes once that has been done. 

big hugs

Shane

K Pawz Guest

I was thinking the same thing as Shane.... defining the bridge of the nose with needle sculpting and then moving the eyes to a new position.....The placement of the eyes is perfect for your modern bears, but if you are looking for a more traditional look I would go with a wider placement.

hugs,
Krista

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

My first thought when I saw them. Was needle sculpturing some eye sockets . and then I read the other post and would agree with shading too.
Cheers

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm giggling because you guys have no idea how hard it was for me to put the eyes as far apart as they are!!! There's a huge distance there compared to the close-set eyes I usually do on my bears!!! LOL!

I shall try moving the eyes and needle sculpting. Is the SIZE of the eyes still OK if I move them further apart?

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Daphne,
    For more traditional bears, the eyes are usually placed on or near the seams.  I use the seams as a guide as well.  I think your eye size is fine - I like the smaller eyes, and when or if you decide to do some shading around them, it will make them look bigger and pop out.  I can't wait to see the changes -  I think it will give them a complete new look!  This is a really cool idea!!

hugs,

Brenda

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Real quick.....one size larger eyes, set just outside the seam, eliminate the white and airbrush for depth around the eyes and a little around the nose and ears, with a tad bit more airbrushing around the paw pads. 

In other words, pretty much the same as everyone else has said!!  Ha!

Happy tweeking!!   bear_flower

Hugs and hugs, :hug:
Aleta

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I agree with Brenda,  I think the eye size is fine but it will depend on how deep sculpting goes.  I know you like your eyes close together, but hey this might start a new look for some of your bears.

hugs

Shane

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Daphne you were brave to start this topic, and I think it is brilliant... Too often something doesnt look right... now we can all chat about it.... I agree with the eye spacing. What about slightly bigger ears though? I wouldnt go too heavy on the shading and hope you dont get a comment like I did once, was told Traditional bears DONT get shaded... I used to be quited scared of making bears until I met all of you. thought there were too many rules. Gosh you going to think I am trashing the poor souls,,, how about bending their elbows a bit? I think they have got the most amazing  head shape the gussett shape really works.  I like the proportion chin, nose & forehead. , would love to see a side view of the face. I should imagine the nose is really strong and maybe the crit is because of the dimension of the photo. It looks like the eyes are "deeper" than they appear??? And I think the shape of the paw pads is a winner. So brave you are to try something new.

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

I was thinking pretty much the same as everyone else bear_rolleyes also I agree about the ears and how about moving them forward just a wee bit and then maybe you won't have to make them a little bigger?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

If it were me I'd sculpt eye sockets...or just pull them in slightly more so they don't sit so proud with the whites...you could then afford to go a wee but wider apart . I'd actually be careful about adding too much shading on shorter stubby fabric..as... in my opinion...unless you are extremely good at shading seamlessly it can look very messy on the backing. Finally I might find some nice vintage clothes..a sweater and some dungarees in toning...warm colours...maybe even a little hat each?

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Ok I agree with the posts before me, I hate eye whites doesn't matter how much I try they never seem even or in the right place

So little oil paint shading, pulled in eye sockets. Are they shiney................I would have done boot button, lends itself to shading better when going for a new but old look, you could grubby them a little, they seem like little grandads to me with their scarves

This is a great idea, I have loads I love but don't even get looked at on a table and the ones that do, are always the ones that I am unsure of. So  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

puca bears puca bears

I definitely have to agree with everyone, Daphne - try moving the eyes a bit farther apart.......and I know how hard it is to change habits - I had (and still DO) have immense problems trying to do more realistic bears -  after my usual
style , the proportions seem all WRONG!
Maybe also try making the bears a bit more smiley? I think the eye positions and the inverted "V" conspire to make the bears look a bit grumpy........... for the rest, I think they're GREAT!
huggies
Maria

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I think that what everyone else has said is great but the only thing that you might find is if you change the face with sculpting and moving the eyes you might find that the nose style won't suit the face.You will be able to judge this once you have done all the other bits.If I make old style bears I always prefer to use new eyes and age them myself as the new boot button eyes always make my bears look weird.you could also try to tatty him up with shading and trimming in certain places to make  him look old and tatty but you need to be brave for this :lol:
I hope with all these suggestions you don't end up thinking I wished I have never asked  bear_rolleyes 
Laurie :hug:

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Dear Daphne,

Daphne,I feel like something is missing on these two bears...
I like the way you placed the eyes, but something must be done to highlight them.
The eye socket is a good idea.
My own idea is to try making clay eyelids for example. That way, you could avoid removing the eyes or re-placing them.
Plus or instead, what about adding some eyebrows?

In addtion, I think these bears would look great with a hat (with a vintage look). Why not try with a beret?

I would had a very discret shading near the muzzle and maybe the eyes too, in colours just a little darker than the mohair.

Well, that was just my two cents about it...

I hope it helps.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Daphne Oh Brave One! bear_tongue

Actually, I do like this pair but I think if they were mine, I'd be tempted to re position the ears, bringing them slightly further forward on the head and gently cupping them.  I'd lose the eye whites too ... that's just personal preference though, I'm not keen on them in general and think it's hard to achieve a polished look using them - sometimes they can look added for adding's sake, rather than an integral part of the expression - that said, I think they can work well on more contemporary styles. 

The eye positioning has been discussed in detail, so I'll pass on making comment there except to say I agree with Jenny, shading on such short pile fabric might be a smudge too far.  I have another idea, how about using a small down stitch under the nose, before you invert the 'V' to give a little more definition to the mouth shape?  Just a thought.  Also, stitched claws might add a little something extra.  Oh, one more thing, how about a finer embroidery thread for the nose .. it might make a difference if these little fellas have slightly less bulky noses.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I see everyone's gone straight for the yes with your guys Daphne, and I agree- even though they're wide for you they're not wide enough for an old timer style- did you want your bears to look like your bears will look in fifty years time, or were you wanting the Steiff look? If its the first then obviously our advice may not apply!  I think for an older style bear I'd have a go at lengthening the mouth with two more stitches at a more horizontal angle.

I do really like these bears though Daphne- there's only a few thing you could do really!  I think they weren't picked up becuase they're not what people expected as well, so take heart bear_original

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Here are 2 bears I made a few months ago in an attempt to get away from my big nosed/big foot bears and into something more traditional/old fashioned. It was a harder transition than I thought! These 13" bears have been to 4 shows and they didn't get so much as a glance from collectors.

brave Daphne! bear_flower

OK, I'm not trying to derail the thread and say that the bears are fine, but I am wondering if one reason they did not sell is because folks are coming to your table to get a bear that IS  signature Backroad Bears style.  I like these little chaps, but if I were to buy a bear from you they wouldn't be my first choice. I'd be going for big nosed, big footed bears (or one of those darling elephants bear_wub ) Maybe, although they are cute, they can't compete with the other bears on your table. I had a bear come along with me to four shows (he sold the fifth one). He was a small guy made of a scruffy sparse mohair and he had the look of a more traditional styled bear (like a Steiff) and I made him a sweet pair of lederhosen. I thought he was really special, I mean I truly loved him, and when he came home with me after the shows, I was curious as to why but not at all upset with having his company in my studio a bit longer. At any rate, when he did finally find a home the new owner thought he was just perfect (and I was even a bit sad to see him go). She was a new collector though, so she didn't come to my table looking for big, bare bears with extra dense fur and special paw pads.  It is just another way to see it. The right collector may be out there, yet.

As far as critique, if they were mine, I would makes some changes in the eye department as well. I think I would move them toward the seams and sink them in a wee bit with needle sculpted sockets. and I would leave out the eye white too. I have used my air brush for so long now that my bears always look naked to me without some shading, but I agree with short sparse mohair, a light-handed shading would be best. I would not use black, but a cool brown.

I just read Chloe's comment about them not being picked up because they were not what was expected...Yes I think that's it!

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

I agree with others, needle sculpt the eyes so you can set them deeper.. and set a little further apart, for a more traditional look anyway... which would suit the bear.  bear_thumb  bear_original

Hugs!
Melanie

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I have to agree with Tami E, She hit the nail on the head, people expect your kind of bear and these little guys are different, but then again someone will want that bear another time.  I used to call this problem my white elephants, and then one day someone bought it.  You can rework the eyes tho.
good luck

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Very interesting feedback! Thank you!! bear_flower
Yes, they are very different from my furry contemporary bears. And after I made these two (there are actually three of them - I couldn't get the third photo to load so gave up but I'm now calling them the three stooges!!) I decided I should NOT try to make any more old looking bears! It's not in me! Funny thing is.... I COLLECT mostly old/antique style bears!! (I said mostly - not entirely, Shane!) bear_tongue

I've got to finish up one project I'm working on right now then I can't wait to try the suggestions above!!! They are all great! Thanks for being objective!

Brave? No... I don't think so.... I know we all have room for improvement and its easier for someone more objective than the artist to site changes that could be made. We can all learn so much from eachother if we are willing to listen and try new things. I know these bears I posted are goofy looking but I've been at a loss as to what to do with them! I knew I needed HELP!

I will GLADLY get rid of those eye whites... I don't like 'em either. I just hadn't done anything until I figured out what TO DO!

And Tami E is right... they aren't my look... that's why I made them... I get bored and making big noses and feet gets old after a while. But if this new style isn't going to sell then that becomes renewed incentive to make more big nosed bears! And Elephants!!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi, they are cute, I would try eyes wider apart and some shading!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Daphne wrote:

.....But if this new style isn't going to sell then that becomes renewed incentive to make more big nosed bears! And Elephants!!

And Lions!  bear_grin

Board footer