Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

We'll be taking a long airplane trip soon and I was wondering if people have tried taking any work with them on the plane lately.  A While ago, I wasn't able to bring an embroidery needle on the plane and the security person broke off the point from my daughter's nice geometry compass and then gave it back to her.  I think they may have let up some on what you can bring on board, but would not like to take the chance of having anything comfiscated.  I was just thinking of needle and thread and could use nail clippers to cut the thread. 

What have other people been able to bring on the plane? 

Hugs,

Ellen

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Hi Ellen

We travel a lot and I have had diffent experiences at different airports. Had a pair of short blunt nose scissors that I have been all over with confiscated at Bankok airport. This time I didnt realise I had sharp scissors in my bag and only realised that when I got to SA. Went through Davao, Manila, Hong Kong, Charles de Gaulle twice with no problem. Also had a sewing kit and a lighter in my bag and none of them were picked up at all. In fact in the last 6 flights in the last week the only thing they queried was Dino's shaving cream. It looks a bit dodgy on the xray. But the do seem more relaxed.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Ellen,

I take supplies with me when I fly.  The most recently  time we flew was this past August.  I took knitting needles, and sewing supplies, sewing needles and scissors.  Security told us that scissors were allowed if they have rounded tips.  I have taken Friskar scissors...you know, the kind used for school children and they cost about $1.60 a pair.  Also little sewing kits often have tiny scissors which are perfect for this.

I met Steve ( The Bear Guys) in Kolher and he showed me what he takes on the plane for sewing...a really cool pendant that he wears as a necklace which is designed for cutting threads.

It seems that the rules change quite a lot but hopefully you will be able ot get through with your supplies.  Heck this summer we got Hermit crabs on the plane.......but were told these really weren't allowed as they can cub through wires.   bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

Best of luck.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I haven't tried to bring any supplies lately, but my step dad used to work for TSA.  He said that not everyone "follows the book" and every airport can be different.  So if I was going to try taking anything, I'd be sure it was something I wouldn't cry about if they threw it away.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Hi,
The pendant i think Judi is talking about is widely avaliable here in the uk -

http://www.wimblebees.com/pd_A%5Bf%5DY0 … endant.htm

You aren't allowed any scissors or pointed objects on uk planes, the clovers have a protected blade  bear_grin My experience is that the uk is still very strict on these things, you are allowed blunt style embroidery needles but not containers with any liquid in!!

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Thanks, Carolyn, Judi, and Laura!  bear_original   It does sound like it's easier to bring sewing supplies now.  I think I'll stick to some small needles, thread, and can probably confiscate a pair of old blunt nose scissors left over from when my daughter was little.  It's about a 5 hour trip, so hopefully I'll be able to do some work on the plane.

Oh, and Judi -- that pendant cutter sounds great!  I think I saw one in a catalogue and will check into that for the next time.

Hugs,

Ellen

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Ellen if you take a needle and just bury it in the fabric a bit then it should go through no problem.  The cutter you can order from this site
http://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commerce/s … 017F005857  it's about 7.00.

Steve always takes needles with him on the plane, but as I said he will weave the needle into the bear pieces, and the needle has not been picked up on any of the flights he has taken.

big hugs

Shane

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Thanks for the links, Shane and Jaina!  I think I'll call and see if they can send it in time for the trip.  bear_original

And thanks for the great tip on weaving the needle into the fabric Shane.  Have you taken bigger needles (for embroidering noses for example) or just the regular sewing needles?

Hugs,

Ellen

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

It depends where you are flying from and where you going to. Sometimes it even depends on what a grumpy day the air staff are having.

Since they have stepped up security, I am unable to do any flight with a pair of scissors or any sharp metal item. I  have taken on board bamboo knitting needles and I have been able to knit. My last trip flying out of Heathrow, they confiscated the one pair of bamboo knitting needles, but left the circular pair ones- so not sure how you explain that.

When hubby did Iron Man Champs in USA, the lock on his cycle bag was broken. Inside was a note saying that for future flights to the USA, he can get a special lock, which customs have a key to. This will prevent them breaking the lock, however hubby is not sure if he likes that idea.

You could perhaps contact the airport you are flying from and check up on their rules.

Lynette

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Hi

I'm currently research an article for Aust Bear Creations on thos and have found that most airports have an irnformation page on the web on what they allow plus it's worth pritning this out and having it with you. I recently argued successfully to keep my short blunt scissors using theeir own paperwork......the guard was really grumpy but had to admit I was right.........so it is worth knowing and researching.

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Thanks Lynette and Sandra,  I'll check to see what I can find about the airports going and coming back and print out the information also.  What a good idea!

Oh, I found out that JoAnn's carries the pendant cutters, so I can get one locally.

Hugs,

Ellen

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Ellen,

Here is the link to what we are allowed to take from the US. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ … items.shtm You have to read it very carefully because it lists prohibited items but then says what is allowed. These items change frequently so I would check again the day before you leave.

Last time I flew I took my small hemostats, needles and a pair of scissors that have a 1 1/2" blade. These items were all in the camera bag. I watched the security person hand check the items and all were returned to me. I would definitely have a copy of the document from the above link. I had it with me in case they challenged me.

Hugs,

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Ellen,
Have not tried taking on a larger needle, we have never worked on noses while flying (to bumpy and knowing Steve we'd hit a huge air pocket and he'd stab himself in the head or something  :crackup: )

hugs

Shane

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Thanks for the link, Gijzette!  I printed it out.  I'm surprised to see all the things you can bring in checked luggage though, -- such as spear guns, hatchets, firearms, and billy clubs.

Shane,  :crackup:  :crackup:  Yes, maybe the larger needles aren't such a good idea.  bear_grin

Hugs,

Ellen

Taiwan Angel Love Bear Forever

I only bring small sewing needle, thread and my cut pieces while travelling.
I use a very easy way to cut those thread. It is with my teeth  bear_grin 
( of course after I knot it, I keep a long thread then I cut it...)
Later when I am back to where ever place that I can use my scissor then I will trim them.
I do not want any troubles during travelling as it will rude my trip so... god give us a good tool. bear_grin

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

I wound up taking mohair cut-out pieces, needles (threaded through the mohair, thread, and Clover thread cutters/needle threaders.  They come in a package of two and are a little less expensive than the pendant.  I found them at a local quilting store.  I put it all in a baggie and put it in my purse.  There wasn't any problem with them at security.  Thanks for all the advice!  bear_original

Here's a link with a photo of the Clover thread cutters/needle threader:  http://www.reprodepot.com/thct478.html

Hugs,

Ellen

Board footer