Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

Hi All,
You may not be hearing from me in a while.  On Wednesday my husband & I were involved in an accident.  A young lady slid  her car into the ditch in front of our house.  Scott & I went to give her a had in getting in out and the car died.  Her boyfriend was there by then. She had called him & his mother drove him over to help.  Scott went and got out truck out of the garage & was starting to put jumper cables on the truck when another car hit the same ice patch and rear ended the car in the ditch.  Scott took the brunt of the hit and was pushed under his truck.  I was hit, and wound up in a snowbank.   To make a long story short Scott is in the hospital.  He had surgery yesterday because his knee was pretty well smashed up. (I was x-rayed at the hospital & am fine except for a big hematoma (swollen bruise) down the lower part of my leg.)  The doctors are going to be looking at him tomorrow and telling us what the next step is in his recovery.  They are saying that it may be up to two or more years until he is recovered. 

We have many things to be thankful for.  The boyfriend's mother is an ER nurse & took care of Scott when he was waiting for the ambulance.  I ran up to the house & called 911 and thought to bring blankets. It was -7 degrees that night.  Scott has 8 ft long jumper cables, so his truck was about 6 ft from the car when it was rear-ended.  He could have been pinned between the 2 vehicles. The paramedics realized how bad the injury & took us to Milwaukee's finest trauma hospital.  He has one of the state's top ortho teams caring at him & doing the surgery The staff at this hospital has been fantastic on every level. The nurses & aides are super & have fussed over me as well.

Please do me a favor and send good thoughts. prayers and bear hugs our way.

TTFN
Amy

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

OMG AMY!!!!  I am SO sorry   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  You and Scott will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh my that is terrible, I'm so sorry this has happened..........sending prayers and well wishes your way  :hug:

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Oh Amy, how awful! I will keep you both in my thoughts, I hope Scott's recovery goes smoothly, and that you are back to your normal self again too. I imagine you will need all your energy and strength when Scott gets home!
   Take care of yourself!  :hug:

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

:pray: I will hold you and Scott in my prayers.  God be with you.  :pray:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  Oh, Amy!!! I'm so glad you weren't badly hurt but your dear Scott, bless him for being a good samaritan and trying to help! Sounds like you two could have a long road ahead. I remember my dad being laid up for 3 years after a serious car accident and having his leg shattered. That was 30 years ago and I'm sure surgery techniques, medications, etc. have come a long way since then! I'll be hoping for a speedy and complete recovery!

My love and prayers are lifted up for both of you!
Huge Hugs,
Daphne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh gosh, Amy, I'm really sorry about the accident.  Mother Nature needs to be plenty ashamed of all the misery she's caused throughout the midwest and East Coast.  My best wishes for a smooth, quick, and full recovery for Scott and lots of help/energy for you during his ordeal.  Hope your leg is healing.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Amy.
     What an awful thing to happen!  I'm so sorry Scott was badly injured but I'm glad you will mend quickly.  Will definitely keep you both in my thoughts and best wishes with a good recovery for Scott.

hugs,

Brenda

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I am so sorry to hear of your accident Amy.
Wishing for a speedy recovery for you and Scott and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs
Carolyn
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Amy, dear sweet Amy, I am sooo sorry to hear what has happened, what a fright for you. Thank heavens that Scott was not hurt even worse, by the sounds of what you say he could have had far more injuries. I do hope Scott makes a full recovery in the shortest time possible. Bless you both, you were being good samaritans and got caught up in the middle, it doesn't seem fare. Take care of yourself Amy and give Scott my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Hugs, Jane.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Definitely sending prayers out for you both.  Take your time and take care of yourselves.

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Oh, I am so sorry. I will be praying for you and especially for rapid healing for Scott. It appears that God has already intervened for you both, a nurse on the scene, paramedics with the Godgiven forsight to know exactly where to take you for the best treatment.
I am sending you my best hugs  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: for speedy recovery, and prayers for all your needs to continue to be met.
hUgs, Kathy

FrizzyBear New York

I'm so sorry to hear of the terrible accident!  Prayers coming your way for total and speedy recovery for both of you!   :pray:

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

:pray: I'm sorry to hear that you've both been hurt. I will add my prayers to the others. Know that we are standing with you in spirit, cheering you both on to get well. Don't lose heart, God has already shown you kindness by putting the right people in your life...trust Him, he will see you through this time. God bless you and get well soon! :hug:  :hug:

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

:pray: Speedy recovery and best wishes coming your way Amy for you and Scott..

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Oh my goodness what an ordeal for you all, its just not fair when you were trying to help too.  Hoping for a speedy recovery for you both.

Pauline

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Oh what an awful thing to happen! Sending you lots of hugs and good wishes for a speedy recovery for  both of you.

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

I'm so sorry that this happened to the both of you.  I've been thinking about it all day after reading your post and my heart just hurts.  You are wonderful people for helping, and it's so sad that you were hurt in the process.  I hope you recover very quickly.
:hug:

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Amy we both are thinking about you and Scott and sending lots of positive energy your way.  Tell Scott he has 10 months to get himself right, cause Thanksgiving will be upon us before we know and all he's the best person to  cook a 36lb Turkey :hug: .  Big hugs to you both and you are in our thoughts.

big hugs

Shane

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Amy! :(

Your situation reminds me of that cynical old adage, "No good deed ever goes unpunished." 

I'm so sorry to hear about your injuries and Scott's, and I really hope he's out of pain and on the road to an obstacle-free recovery quick as lightning.

Seriously, though... you guys are heros.  There's a special place in heaven for folks like you...

Get well soon, both of you.  You're in my thoughts.

bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

puca bears puca bears

Oh Amy - what a horrible thing to happen.........especially when you were only trying to help. Seems SO unfair.
My very best wishes to both of you, and i hope you and Scott are soon on the mend
huggies
Maria :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

New Berlin, Wisconsin

Thank you all for all your thoughts & paryers.  I am finding I need my computer friends as much as my real friends! 

Scott is doing very well.  We were expecting an update from out ortho team yesterday, but being Sunday it did not happen.  I was hoping to be there to talk to the team, but am going to go back to work today, to save my vacation days for when he comes home & for appointment dates. 

Scott says he is an "old war horse".  He is feeling soooo much better & did not have any pain pills (other than Tylanol) yesterday.  The thearpy team had him up & wilth a walker he walked part of the hallway.  They are shoing him how to put on his socks & pants w/o using his leg.  He is in super spirits!

Will keep you updated.

Amy

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

My hugs and prayers are with you and Scott  :pray:

Hugs

Lisa x

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Dear Amy

I am sending you and Scott all my positive thoughts and hope that  he will enjoy a full recovery  :hug:  All the best for whats ahead and take good care of yourself too.

Hugs
Raewyn

New Berlin, Wisconsin

It has been a little over 2 months & I thought it was about time to update everyone on our progress.  Scott continues to be a positive patient. Last week he went to the doctor and got good news & bad news.  The good news was he is now able to start putting a little weight on his injured leg.  He is absolutely bored silly & has been watching reruns of reruns. We both really look forward to the weekends. I get him in our van (quite a chore for him because he has to hop a flight of stairs).  We were very fortunate while the ground was frozen, out neighbor plowed our whole front yard so he could maneuver out the front door instead. Good thing he is a little further along in his recovery now because I can't drive on the lawn anymore.  I have already ruined it. Anyway, I am able to take him with me as long as I also haul along his wheelchair, & walker.

He took a spill trying to get up a step with his walker a few weeks ago & that's where the bad news comes in.  He may have torn his (shoulder) rotator cuff. I took him for an MRI on that last Monday.  We will be seeing the doctor for results on that next week.

We are usually up at 5am so I can get Scott washed & dressed before I shower & go to work.   I have been working longer hours on days that Scott doesn't have therapy so I can take Scott to therapy & still bring home a full paycheck.  He has started back to doing some of the cooking. I usually will get out all the pots & pans, utensils etc & make them "wheelchair accessible". I have been coming home on my lunch hours to help him with his exercises. I am feeling much better, but have been running so much I have been working on the same bunny since before the accident. I poop out at about 9 pm.

Thank you to everyone who has sent emails & cards.  Your prayers & well wishes are really appreciated. Sorry I haven't been able to respond to all of them. I haven't been on the computer all that much.

TTFN
Amy

PS One of these days I have got to get my Merry Christmas avitar off the forum LOL :crackup:

Board footer