Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I have mentioned this before but I have a good friend , Fred who went to live in new Zealand many years ago.Fred and his wife Francine were paying a visit to SA and as I had ordered fleece from my supplier in NZ, I asked if they could bring it out to me, but warned them it would be bulky and I understood if they said no.

Yesterday I collected my sheep, as Fred calls the wool parcel.  We sat laughing last night as he told me the story of getting it to SA. He said they looked at this parcel that had arrived the size of their dining room table. Went off to the super market to get special vacuum bags, and re packed the wool into these bags. One packet fitted snugly into the suitcase, but when it got to the other one, they had problems. Fred said he was sitting on the bag, Francine had the vacuum cleaner and was trying to suck out more air. After two hours of struggling, Francine said, the parcel stays. Fred was adamant that it came with them, as he said I would no longer love him, if he did not bring it.!

Well they managed to get the zip closed, and were then off to the airport. They checked this big “balloon bag† in, with the attendant looking at it suspiciously, saying this is very light.

On the flight, a few people started sneezing, and Fred said to Francine, “oh my gosh† the bag has exploded in the hold,and some people are allergic to the wool. Just before landing, they were going through the invoices and notes from both of us, getting ready for questions if stopped by customs. Then they had the problem of destroying the “evidence†, it eventually landed torn up in a sick bag.

Now prepared with the right story for customs,on disembarking Francine was offered a wheel-chair (she had polio as a child leaving her one leg shorter than the other). As it was a good distance to walk, she was only too pleased to take up the offer. With her flying along, Fred running behind, they were whisked through passport control and customs, and had no need to speak to anyone of authority. All the conniving was not put to use.
Needless to say we sat, drinking wine, giggling like school kids with tears in our eyes about this.

The bag has not been opened, it is still in the boot of my car, and Fred has told me to take care as it might just explode when I open it.

Lynette

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

What a lovely story Lynette and I am so glad that the wool got to you safely and you were able to have a laugh
over a glass of wine.
Be careful when you do open the bag!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh Boy Lynette, do set up a video camera (if you have one of course) for when you open the bag. Sounds like you will be having fun. I recently bought a huge box of stuffing and it arrive very quickly, which pleased me. When I opened it the stuffing started to move and then spill out from the box, just like popcorn expanding. I now have several bags and boxes of the white fluffy stuff stored away for future use in my loft.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Hugs, Jane.

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Me too I have it in bags every....where   :crackup:  thankfully I'm not allergic.

Raewyn

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

great story :crackup:

Board footer