Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pages:
Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

this one is for you Dilu I found this picture from the original book
The Adventures of two Dutch Dolls And A Golliwogg, published in 1895.
Golliwogg2.jpg :hug:

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Cool! k020.gif 

Will somebody explain WHAT DOES GOLLY MEAN???? bear_whistle :pray:p020.gif

Julia

Julia

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Am I imagining this or are Gollys becoming more popular?  I am noticing them more and more.  They sure are cool! :dance:

Dilu , do you know the history of Golly Wogs?   When we immigrated to the USA in 1965 we brought with us our little golly wog dolls.   My parents did not allow us to take them out in public for fear they might not be understood in the states and may offend some people.  I grew up with these endearing characters but never knew thier history. bear_wub

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Yesss, WHAT DOES GOLLY MEANS?????
WE WANT TO KNOW!!!!

Dilu, honey, it is time to tell us...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Judi are Russian?
My friends said you look like Russian (I think so too) bear_grin

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

GOLLYGIRL.jpgHere's the Golly Wog, Dilu, that we talked about.

She is made by Elaine Goodhand and is available at Witney Bears.  Her hair is made from tibetain lambs wool.  Isn't she cute?! bear_original bear_original bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Julia, As far as I know my family history it is all British.  That would be really neat if I traced my family history and found our there was some Russian in there.

This is what I do know...triva, but kind of neat...

John Naylor, also known as "Little John" is from the same area in England  as my family roots.  My dad has traced this and believes that we are descendants of him.  It goes back about 800 years.  My family(maiden) name is Naylor.  Kinda neat.

Anyone else have any interesting roots?

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Cool!! :dance: :hug:

I know mine, but I guess my English far beyond an explanations!!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I loved seeing the pictures....fabulous

As a matter of fact Judi I am currently writing up a little history for the class, that is actually going to start on the 15 of Dec.  Hard to believe.

I'll share what I learn here-

And I think they are getting more popular.

But I have to tell you I am holding my breath.....we think they are charming and adorable and we know they always save the day after they get into mischief and we may love them, but........

Julia

I'll post some information

:hug:
dilu

Fran

Thank you for the picture

I know m,y honey has been watching the auctions, he is trying to get me a copy of the book.  I hope he does sometime.  :love:

dilu

Judi the little girl golly is adorable-

dilu

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Dilu...try going to www.alibris.com   They are an online bookstore.  They have alot of rare books that you can get from dealers...some are quite reasonable.  Just a thought...I don't know that they have the particular book you are looking for.

I also have a friend in the rare book business...I can drop her a line to keep her eye open for one.  She found me a couple books I've looked for and couldn't get anywhere else.  And she does it for free...no charge for her time...she might even have one.  She's a doll collector so who knows.

Shantell

Vladivostok, RUSSIA
Dilu wrote:

Julia
I'll post some information
dilu

Thanks, I really want to know! bear_grin

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Judi your golly is lovely i think everyone should have a golly bear_ermm bear_ermm

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Fran, I wish she was my Golly...I may have to adopt her. bear_wub

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Georgie.jpgI just love golly and I have been making them for some time. The very first thing I sold at my last show was a golly. One of my customers has bought fourteen of my gollys. She has a real big Doodlebears golly family all of her own. I have orders for five gollys before Christmas plus two more bears. Guess who's going to be a busy girl!

Here's a picture of one of my gollydollys.

Jane  bear_flower

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

GOLLY, holy, molly, dolly, colli, Dilully,
WHAT IS GOLLY????? :wacko:

Julia

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Jane, that Golly is outstanding.  Do you do all the costuming yourself too?

Judi:  I have some interesting family history, sorta, maybe, kinda.  My roots are mostly Germanic (with a tiny bit of Swiss and Irish and Czech thrown in for good measure) and my maiden name is Goth.  We can't "officially" trace our roots back past about 1500-ish (my dad did some geneology research) but, given our geographic origins and surname, it's likely my family is descended from the old-world barbarian, marauding Goth tribes of the Northern European area (Ostrogoths, Visigoths.)

Ayup; that's me.  Shelli the Barbarian.  I like it!

bear_happy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Your golly is outstanding, Jane . . . just perfect!   No wonder you have people wanting them!

Hoo boy . . . I have such a mixture of ancestors that it's hard to say what stands out the most.  French, Irish, and Comanche Indian are what I know for sure.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sue Ann, I think it's fascinating and wonderful that you're part Comanche.  How did you get that bloodline?  Do you know?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My great grandmother on my mom's side was half Comanche.  Don't know much other than that . . . neither my mom nor dad was interested in genealogy, but if I had the time, I'd research it myself.  I like your "barbarian roots", Kiddo!!  bear_tongue  bear_tongue

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Ohhh...family ancestry is fascinating...I wish I knew more about my own but much of it has been lost with "family secrets."  What I do know...

My great grandmothers on my mothers side were both full Indian...one was from the Nezperce tribe the other Choctaw tribe.  My paternal great grandmother was the daughter of an Indian chief...however, she married my great grandfather...a white man...thus the family secret.  She apparently was disowned by her tribe,  would not discuss it and anyone who may know anything has long since past away.  So...I'm 1/4 Indian of mixed tribes.  I have pictures of my one great grandmother who I spent alot of time with as a child...ornery old woman.

My bio parents divorced when I was an infant and I was adopted by my father at the age of 3.  However, I was born a Schmidt...and I have met my bio father but have no relationship with him now.  I do know that his parents escaped Hitlers rule and traveled to the US just prior to my fathers birth.  So...I'm 1/2 German.  The rest is a mix up muddled mess of wild stories of horse thieves, prostitution and God knows what else.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Shelli yes, I do make all the golly's clothing myself. 

Wow! What an interesting topic. I have always been fascinated in genealogy. Unfortunately I can claim nothing so interesting as you girls. Pure bred British with a touch of Irish...we think because of my maiden name.

I have always loved to read about the Native American history and all about the different tribes. I was really pleased to see three native American musicians entertaining the people of Aylesbury a week ago. They were wearing traditional clothing and playing their music. It was wonderful to loose myself in the atmosphere for a while, a special treat.

Jane.  bear_flower

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Jane I love the Golly ....he is so adorable  bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Jane , What a darling golly.  I love his outfit.  One of these days I may try one...in my spare time. bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh

I think family histories are very interesting, barbarians, indians, old English legends...I guess we all have to come from somewhere.

Pretty cool! bear_grin

Pages:

Board footer