Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Ok, sorry if this seems a bit disjointed, but I've just had some fantastic news: I'm the successful applicant for a local Scholarship to study in Indiana for a year!! Ahhh!!

I'm shell shocked but I wanted to ask about the rules for sewing, as I know I'll not be able to sell in America... but can I sew in America, bring them home, then sell for the UK?  I still need to earn money for books and things, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Ahhh!!!

puca bears puca bears

Oh, Chloe - what fabulous news - you must be over the moon!!!!!!!! I'm SO pleased for you, mate - and what a tremendous opportunity :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
As for sewing bears in america, and then bringing them back to england to sell..........surely there'd be no problem - but then what would I know? Don't worry about it just now - go and CELEBRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big huggies
Maria

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks Maria bear_laugh:D:D  Lol, I have no time to celebrate: another hour and I'm off to Belly Dancing XD  Ah well, it's still not properly sunk in but I'd like to sort out sewing as I'll need to earn money to pay for books and leisure and so on... Even if I can't sell I guess I could still work for competitions?  Argh, I'm so shocked...

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Chloe,
You're not a company, you're an individual artist. Who said you couldn't sell your pieces? When I was younger I lived in Germany and I sold some of my cats. Maybe you can check with your school and see if you'd be allowed to sell some of your art pieces? I can't believe they would be cold-hearted enough to deny you pocket money. I believe this rule was made for companies not individual artists?
Karen

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Chloe,
Do you use paypal when you sell online?  I don't see why you wouldn't be able to sell your work, and if you already accept paypal and have it linked to a bank account, it really would not be a problem.  You would just be shipping from a different location.  I'd definitely look into it but I don't see any reason why you couldn't sell here in the USA. 

Hugs,
Alison

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I was wondering about the tax rules? As officially I'm not allowed to 'work' without a work permit and I'll be on a student permit so... this is why I'm concerned bear_tongue I don't want to be thrown out for sewing!  :crackup:

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Chloe,
The work permit was made so that foreign visitors couldn't take American jobs. IF I remember right, it's the employer who requests a work permit. I don't think it pertains to what you would be doing? Art. Again, a school counselor would be the best advisor. Just remember you're an artist selling some of your pieces. Let them know that no company is involved. And that you are doing it to help support yourself at school.
Karen

FrizzyBear New York

Congratulations on your new adventure.  I lived in Indiana for a year and just loved it there.  The people were very friendly compared to NY!  Sorry NYers. 

I agree with the others, you should be able to work here and sell your things.  Good luck with everything!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Congratulations, Chloe. You must be so excited. Will you be at the University of Indiana? I don't recall what you're studying.

I don't see any problem for you either, but I'm sure you'll be able to find out everything you should know from the school. They deal with out of country students all the time. It would be a great opportunity for you if you think you'll even have the time to sew while you're there.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks for your help everyone :)

I will check with the man who's going to hep me sort everything out: hopefully he'll be able to tell me what I need to know... I'm glad to hear it's not a definite 'no' though!

I'll be at the University of Evansville bear_tongue  It's teeny but class sizes are equally teeny so I can't wait... I'm currently a zoologist but I think I might do a year of random modules so I can have some non-biological knowledge too!

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Congratulations, Chloe!!  What a wonderful opportunity!  I would think you would be able to sell here, also.  bear_original

Hugs,

Ellen

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Congratulations,
I had a friend selling bears here in the US.  She was from another country.  She applied for a resale number and got it.  I don't know if your school situation will be a problem for you or not.
Best of luck,
Donna

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks everyone bear_original  The news is bittersweet for me as I found out just before the interview that my dog Mollie had passed away, so I feel a bit bad for the good news if you know what I mean?  I am very excited, but I don't think it has sunk in properly... I feel like I'll get an e-mail saying 'whoops! sorry, wrong one!' :P

I'll look into resale numbers, thank you Donna and Ellen bear_original

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I am so happy for you Chloe, that is just wonderful news.  Sorry I can't help about the American rules on selling.

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Congratulations!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
But so sorry to hear about your dear Mollie  :hug:
I agree with everyone else that there should not be a problem with selling on eBay while you are in the USA...but keep us informed on what you find out about about it.
bear_thumb
Kathy

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks Kathy and Christine,

Mollie's arthritis got the better of her it would seem, although my mum had her put to sleep two weeks before I found out... she was pretty old and my mum said the vet and nurse who helped her were so good with her she doesn't understand why we don't reserve that treatment for our own terminally ill... I missed her fuzzy face a lot whilst I was home for interview  bear_cry

I will keep you all updated on what I can find out bout selling rules: fingers crossed!

Board footer