Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

HPIM1232.jpgThis was just so funny that I had to share.  I went to feed the horses this morning and noticed my duck, Polly, standing near some loose hay like she was looking for a fight.  When I got closer, the hay began to move.  I expected a raccoon to emerge.  But low and behold, this pig came out of the hay.  Now I don't own any pigs, and I don't know of anyone around here who does.  I do believe this must be a pot belly.  It is not very big, but it is not a young one.  Notice the tusks.  I fed it breakfast and we will see if it moves on.  The horses are not happy with it, they are actually terrified of it.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Oh my, you do get the strangest visitors, MIllie, don't you!   bear_grin  DOn't you know that once you feed him breakfast, you own him  :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

lulubears Posts: 280

Hi Millie.  It sure looks like a feral hog to me.  That is probably th reason the horses are so terrified of it.  These hogs are so destructive!  Around here, they can completely destroy a lawn overnight.  Homeowners go to bed at night with beautiful grass and flowerbeds and wake up to nothing but dirt, because where there is one hog, there are probably lots more right behind it.  Good luck.  Luann

Uh oh, that doesn't sound so good - I thought skunks were bad for ruining a lawn!

hugs,

Brenda

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Surprise breakfast guest for sure!! I love pigs though!!! bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue

Ohio

Well, I have been in contact with a few people in rescues and the vets office.  We feel like this is a pot belly pig that was once someone's pet.  For whatever reason, none of them legitimate, he has been dumped.  He seems comfortable around dogs, and he is somewhat friendly.  He is a bit shy right now.  So, for the time, I have named him Dill and we are in the process of finding him a home.  Luann, if I'm not mistaken you are in Texas, right?  We spent some time in the Davis mountains last year, and had some up close encounters with the javelinas.  This little guy is not even close the their adult size.  He is more the size of the young ones, but he is not a young pig.  If I understand right, the pot belly pigs would be several years old before they develop tusks.  But for now, the search is on.  I think I will call the local game warden.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Your horses will be instinctively afraid/terrified of the pig because pigs can gut them with those tusks.  Now given time and with domestication, that's not likely to happen, but for me, I'd be ensuring he couldn't get near my horses.  There have been cases of even domestic pigs gutting horses when placed in the same pasture together.

I agree with you, looks like a young male potbelly.  My bet is whoever owned him didn't know how to cope once he got too large.  I hope you can get him sorted into a new home soon.   bear_thumb

Us Bears Pennsylvania
lulubears wrote:

Hi Millie.  It sure looks like a feral hog to me.  That is probably th reason the horses are so terrified of it.  These hogs are so destructive!  Around here, they can completely destroy a lawn overnight.  Homeowners go to bed at night with beautiful grass and flowerbeds and wake up to nothing but dirt, because where there is one hog, there are probably lots more right behind it.  Good luck.  Luann

I'm with you, Luann!  That's a feral pig.  Even if it was once somebody's pet it should be considered a wild animal now.
Even the most domesticated pigs will become feral and go totally wild if left to their own devices.

I would stay far away from that thing if I was you.  It may look cute.  It may have been somebody's pet.  You may feel emotional for it.  But that thing can turn on you in a heartbeat!  It will tear you up if given half a chance!

The best solution is to call the Game Commission or the Animal Control office and have it taken away.

I feel angry because some silly person decided that it would be cute to have a pig for a pet but, when the thing grew up and they couldn't handle it any more they turned it loose.  It's a crime in more ways than one.  (Read:  "More than just against the law.") 

If somebody were to get hurt by that animal it should be on the heads of the stupid people who turned it loose!

Please be careful!  Call the Game Warden!  Do it now!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What an interesting conundrum, Nina!  Whether it be potbelly or feral . . . people are so - um - I can't think of an appropriate description that I can share online, but to just drop off an unwanted pet to fend for itself is unacceptable.  You are a dear lady to see that it gets the help it needs.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Us Bears Pennsylvania

If you refer to me and my directness of opinion, I bear no resentment to those who tell me I'm full of fluff.  ;)
You have the perfect right to disagree with me and to tell me so if you feel the need.
I only draw the line when things get personal.

Okay?  :thumbsup:

I still have to say it:  Genetically, it is probably a Pot Belly.  You guys are right about that.  But, "psychologically" that pig has become a wild animal and should be treated as such.

Might I be over-cautious?  Probably.  But, the way I see things, I have a choice.  I can express my opinion and let you guys think I'm a big blowhard or I can keep quiet, go along with the crowd but take the risk that one of my internet friends could get hurt.  :cry:
That would make me feel worse!

It might very well be somebody's escaped pet but I still think it's a smart move to call a professional.

Ohio

Well, I am now in the process of placing the pig with people who are more knowledgable than I am.  I don't know a whole lot about pigs, and I have no plans on keeping him.  You all know that I am crazy about animals, but I can't do pigs.  My grandmother was killed by a herd of pigs, so I just have not been able to "love" a pig.  But I also can't just let this one run loose here, so I have confined him until he's ready to be transported.  Like you all have said, my real problem is with the people who are so irresponsible.

Us Bears Pennsylvania
Ohio

Dill has found a home.  He will be living at a zoo.  He is being moved this weekend.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  Well done, Nina!!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:  :clap:  Hurrahhh!!!  A happy ending for everybody  :dance:

Yay  for Dill - a new home with free room and board!!!    Well done, Millie!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Board footer