Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

UPDATE:  I thought you might enjoy seeing up to date pictures of our rescue horses :o)  These were taken this summer.

horses_01.JPG   horses_02.JPG

I'd like to introduce you all to our two rescue horses!  They are both from a horse rescue in Prince George, B.C.  It's raining here (finally the snow is going!!), and they prefer to be out instead of in the barn, so they are both wet - I'll take better pics when we get some sun!   

savanna_01.JPG

Savanna came to the rescue in very poor shape - she had been starved and covered with lice.  They did an amazing job of taking care of her & getting her back into condition.  She still has a lot of her winter coat & still needs to gain weight.  But she is such a sweetheart & our whole family is enjoying her personality.

logan_02.JPG

Logan came to the rescue with his sister as the result of a divorce.  It's easy to see the Arabian in him... he is an absolutely gorgeous horse.  He's quite a bit more nervous than Savanna, but still a sweetheart.  He's 5 years old, but hasn't had much training, so we have a lot of work to do with him. 

Everytime I go out to them, I can't believe these two beautiful animals are now part of my family!  Having horses has been a dream of mine since I was a baby.  It's taken until now (I'm 41) that I had all the circumstances to do a good job of it so the horses would have everything they need.  We thought about buying horses locally, but with all the news in British Columbia lately about rescue horses (and since I have a fair amount of experience with horses & family that breeds & trains horses locally) - we decided on going this route. 

I hope you enjoy seeing Savanna & Logan!   :rose:

Sallyanne Sally Anne Bears
Lincoln
Website

They are both beautiful horse's Melisa. :hug: How lovely that a dream you have had from being a baby has now become real and from what you have said, I think these two horse's couldn't have been adopted by a better family :hug: Look forward to seeing more pics of them.

Hugs
Sandra

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Melissa,
      What lucky horses, to have a new, safe home!  You are doing such a wonderful thing for them.  We have been hearing a lot about abandoned  horses, even in Ontario.  People can't afford to feed them and they can't sell them, or even give them away.  Even purebred horses are being abandoned to rescue centres.  This is such a happy ending for these two and I'm glad you went the "rescue" route.

hugs,

Brenda

Hazelton, BC
Website

Thank you Sandra and Brenda!   I wish I could adopt all of them!  We are thinking of one more - but that's the most we have room for and could afford.  :hug: 

One thing I'm glad of is that I understood that horses take a lot of work & eat a LOT before I jumped into this.  Savanna especially has a fairly expensive diet as she is on a special ration to help her gain weight.  But they are soooo worth it.  There is something amazing in the relationship between people & horses.  I'm a small person (5' 2") and Logan is way bigger than me, but to see him accept me & want attention from me is such a fantastic feeling!  Especially as I was advised that he might take some time to warm up to me and that I might have trouble catching him once he was off his lead.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

They are both beautiful horses Melissa and good on you for taking them on.
How big are they?
Horses are a lot of work as I well know as I have owned them myself for the last 27 years but I love to be around them and could spend all day with them if I had the time.Enjoy them bear_flower  bear_flower
Laurie :hug:

Hazelton, BC
Website

Thanks Laurie!  :hug:   Logan is about 15.1 hh and Savanna is about 14.2hh.  She's only 3 though, so still has some growing to do.  They are both Arabian/Quarter Horse, but he seems to have more of the Arabian & she is more Quarter Horse.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What an angel you are for taking in these gorgeous horses, Melisa!!  There have been so many stories lately of people around here just abandoning their animals to starve . . . it's sickening.  As soon as rescue groups learn of the situations, they go pick them up, but many have already died or are too sick to survive and have to be put down.  The media does a pretty good job of publicizing these issues, but it still happens much too often.  Drat the economy!!!!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: for you.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

That is wonderful Melisa, that you have given a home to these two beautiful horses.
So glad that they have a safe home and will be cared for and loved.
Also it is neat that you have always dreamed of having a horse and now you have two.
Have fun and enjoy.

Hugs
Carolyn

bear_flower

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Melisa, I think you will be very happy that you decided to rescue.  It has been my experience that these horses know what you have done for them, and they will return the love to you many times over.  Have fun with these beautiful ones.

Hazelton, BC
Website

Thank you Sue Ann, Carolyn and Millie ... it is so sad to see any animals mistreated or abandoned.  I'm glad I can do something to help, even though it is only two horses out of many.  Our dog is also a rescue dog & she is so loyal and loving.  I'm looking forward to having the same level of love and trust with these horses.  bear_wub

Goldelocs Bears Goldelocs Bears
Brisbane

Congratulations, they are beautiful horses  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub , Logan looks so much like a horse my family used to have years ago, his name was Yarraman. They are both very fortunate to have you as their new mum. bear_original

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I absolutely agree with Millie - these are intelligent animals and they know you are an answer to their prayers!  They will love you forever without anything in return.

hugs,

Brenda

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

They are both beautiful, and bless you for adopting them! They are soooooooooo lucky to have you!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Hazelton, BC
Website

:hug:  :hug:  :hug: Thank you Ann-Marie, Brenda and Tami!  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  I feel so fortunate that I can enjoy these two horses!  Ann-Marie... your Yarraman must have been beautiful.  I can't believe that anyone would give up such a beautiful horse as Logan or mistreat as sweet a horse as Savanna, but then, I've never met a horse I didn't like, even when taking a fall or making a mistake & getting hurt by a horse.   bear_grin

nandesign Posts: 361

The horses are just so beautiful...I love horses...What a wonderful thing you have done in adopting them. They will be so happy to have a loving home. My husband's two sisters live in Prince George...we were there last August! Small world...

Take care,
Hugs, Nancy

Hazelton, BC
Website

Thank you for commenting Nancy!    :hug:  It is a small world!  We live about 6 hours drive from Prince George and we go there about 2 to 3 times a year.

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

They are very beautiful. I had a rescue horse, she had been a race horse, brood mare and then used to herd cattle. She was a pitiful nervous wreck when I got her and her personality just blossomed. One of the riding schools near to us lent us a "drop out" as her companion. He was a real hard case that used to get through any fence. Within a month they were firm friends and he never tried to get out at all.  I had her for 4 years when she died of old age. It was heart breaking but at least I knew she had a good end. We then acquired a Shetland pony that had been mistreated and was blind in one eye. Jack (the drop out) had gone blind in his one eye about a year before, they had opposite blind eyes and used to walk around side by side with the 2 good eyes on the outside. When I got divorced the lady from the riding school took them both. They are inseparable and Jack spends most of his days sleeping with his head on Meg's back. Absolutely amazing creatures. Well done you.

Hazelton, BC
Website

Thank you Carolynn!  :hug:  :hug:   It's nice to hear your experience with rescue horses...  you did a wonderful job of caring for them.  You have great memories!   bear_flower

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

bear_wub What beautiful animals...you are so blessed to be able to fulfill your dream! I've always loved horses...they are amazing creatures. I hope you have many wonderful years with them!

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

How very lucky for you and the horses to have found each other.
I rescued a Morgan not too long before I became ill. I had to give him up. I wish I could have given him to you!! :)
He was a show horse and just a love. His name is Dakota. My sister has him now but really didn't want him. She is good to him but just didn't want another horse. I miss him.  bear_cry
I had a whole tack box full of stuff plus a saddle, blanket the whole kit and caboodle that my sister didn't want. Man I wish I had known you were getting horse as I would have offered it to you. I gave it all away. bear_sad

Hazelton, BC
Website

Thank you Angela & Cyndee!   :hug:  :hug:

Cyndee... It was sweet of you to take in that horse & it would have been so sad to give him up.  bear_sad   We've only had these two since Friday and already I'd be so emotional if I had to give them away.  And you had a Morgan!  Those have been one of my favorite breeds ever since I was about 10 years old.  Thank you for your kind thoughts.  bear_flower

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Melissa,
I am so jealous!  I've been volunteering at a horse rescue for a while and I recently got a job as barn help in exchange for lessons.  My goal is to get a horse by the time I'm 40.  I sure hope bear business picks up so I can do that.  These guys are so lucky to have a new home.  Enjoy them.

Hugs,
Alison

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Ah, Melisa, i think you had a great idea to adopt these two beautiful horses!

I hope some day I can do the same... First i will need to find a job and save enough money, then i will need to buy a field and then maybe I can consider it... but I will have to learn everything about horses and riding a horse, hehehehehe!  bear_tongue  Who knows... maybe some day...

I used to read horse magazines when a child and dream about them.

It is so great you managed to realize your dream!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Hazelton, BC
Website

Thank you for commenting Alison & Sophie!  :hug:  :hug:   I do think that there is always a lot of learning to do with horses.  I've been around them all my life but that was mostly with horses that had always had a loving home, so I'm learning more with these two.  I have uncles that have trained a lot of horses & I've been reading a lot about gentle horse training methods.  So far it's been very useful in gaining Logan's trust.   bear_thumb

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

they are so gorgeous, brings back memories of my lovely horse, I was 14 when my dream came true and I got a horse of my own, having saved all my pocket money since I was about 5!  There really is something truly special about the bond between horse and owner.  I hope one day to be able to have a horse of my own again.  I look forward to more photos of your new soulmates :)

Hugs to them
Catherine xx

Board footer