Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

How was the 'gate' at these two shows last weekend?

Smaller? About the same?

More lookers than purchasers?

Any roving reporters wish to weigh in?

Many mini Thx!

puca bears puca bears

Hi Bobbie
saw this on monday, just before i was hit by a horrible gastric bug...........really out of it for a couple of days...........
Anyway.........it looked like the visitor numbers were DOWN at the Teddybar Total (haven't seen any actual numbers)
and the visitors weren't exactly throwing their cash around. Compared with last year, my friend Sabine and I did really badly on the Sat, and looking round most seemed in the same boat - some sold NOTHING, while others, like Silvia Gilles, who ALWAYS sells, did well.  Others said they did "OK". A few of us were discussing this on Sunday before the doors opened - we all felt the same - normally you can more or less tell if a bear is "sold" - but a lot of the seemingly convinced eventually just put the bear back and wandered off. Sunday is never a good day for selling - but then Sabine sold FOUR, and i managed another one.........
I guess it's just the recession biting - but as always , it's SO difficult to tell.
Still - it was good fun - as always, great to meet up with bear friends, and to make new ones - and nice to see so many overseas exhibitors, particularly from Russia, Japan and S. Korea.
And VERY unexpectedly winning another Golden George made it all worth while for me!
huggies
Maria

suburban Chicago

Well, I heard second-hand, that Nevada City, which has had along-standing reputation of very loyal collectors was down, whether that was the gate or the sales I'm not sure.
I was thinking that TT had to be the same, as the financial situation is world-wide, but as the pendulum does swing, a year should see us well out of it, or at least starting back up and out, as it's been going on for more than a year now.
Thx so much for weighing in, Maria - I guess no one else wants to go on record... we're all walking on egg shells....holding our breath...

hggzzz
B

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I guess I will put my two cents in for Nevada City.  Bill or Connie where are you?  I can't say for sure about the gate since I am not in on that information.
The exhibitor base was way down this year.  There was worry that this would cause the collectors to not return for next year.  Along with the exhibitor base being down, the circus was gone.  So we did not have the families with children or the clowns coming through the show.  That did not really impact the artists, they did not buy artist bears.  I was concerned about that impact on the gate but was told that most of them did not pay to get into the show so it was not an issue.  It did feel like there were less people coming through the show but when we realize it was not people who were the buyers it was rather pleasant.  I did know ahead of the show that the show would have a smaller exhibitor base and did let my collectors know ahead of time so they would not be shocked when they walked through the doors.  The ones I visited with were not put off at all by the show being smaller.  They were happy with it.  It appeared to me that it was one of those shows where the exhibitor did very well or not well at all.  In the past, Sunday had been a dead day where we all had a chance to visit with fellow artists.  This year, there were collectors in there buying on Sunday.  I think this year without the circus the true collector had less distractions from the small children and the clowns and could focus on the bears, the true reason they come to the show.   Our tables had a very good year last year at this show and I was worried how we would do this year.  We were very close this year to last.  We usually do not do as well at the big shows where we have out of state exhibitors or international competition because we do most of the local doll and bear shows.  The collectors can see us any time so they will buy from the people who they won't see again.  That is smart on their part but hurts us as locals so we are not always a good judge as to how a show was.
I personally do a show about every two weeks.  Some months I am gone every weekend.  Most of these shows are smaller doll and bear shows.  What I am noticing is that the collectors are still coming to the shows.  They are still wanting to buy.  They may not have as much money now but they do want to take home some treasures.  They are buying but they are being more careful.  What I am noticing is that they want new, fresh bears and critters.  They may have to go smaller to get a lower price.  If you can do your same good quality work in a less expensive form it will be a hit.  We as the artist need to work as hard as the promoter (maybe harder) to get the collectors to the show.  Once you get them to the show, you need to spend some time with them.  It seems that now more than before there needs to be a story to go along with the bear or critter.  It seems they need something extra before they commit to the purchase.
One last thing I would like to throw out there is that most of the promoters want to do a good job.  They welcome good positive suggestions and ideas on ways to improve the show.  If you hear comments from the collectors or other artists that would help the promoter make wise decisions about next years show please pass them on to the promoter in helpful way.   The promoter has no control over the weather but by moving the show back two weeks to possibly avoid snow might be an answer.  Rack your brains and see if you have any ideas or suggestions that could make the shows better for all.
Sorry, did not mean to write a book!
Donna

suburban Chicago

Thx for weighing in!! this is funny, but for years I was next to Bette Carter in Schaumburg in April; I do believe she did the NC show and now with knowing more of the NC exhibitors here and seeing pix from the venue - - this is the very first mention I've ever heard of a 'circus' and 'children' involved!

I don't know what those entail, and certainly don't wish to take up more of your valuable time Donna, but if the shows that each of us do have some characteristic that seems to be a normal part of the routine, please stop and ask if it's also available at any of your other venues. If not, it is probably something like this - and I, for one, would LOVE to hear about these regional differences! I do believe that it's one more reason to make each show special to the collectors too, which again comes back full circle to helping us to decide which shows to exhibit in, for the artists who travel.

Speaking of travel - however do you have enough stock for that many shows?? I'm gob-smacked and flabbergasted! Having been a hand-sewer of minis for a dozen years, and now a needle felter, I thought I was on pressure overload when I had about 8 or 9 shows each year. There is no way that I could even sustain that, because no item appeared at any venue more than twice: if not sold it was then given to Good Bears of the World for Fundraising. I was careful about always keeping fresh ideas highlighted. 4 or 5 a year is a goodly number of shows to attend to keep travel expenses down for two, but that doesn't offset or balance income... it's "Catch 22"...... but we do just do-what-we-love anyway, don't we ?   bear_flower

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Donna wrote:

What I am noticing is that the collectors are still coming to the shows.  They are still wanting to buy.  They may not have as much money now but they do want to take home some treasures.  They are buying but they are being more careful.  What I am noticing is that they want new, fresh bears and critters.  They may have to go smaller to get a lower price.  If you can do your same good quality work in a less expensive form it will be a hit.  We as the artist need to work as hard as the promoter (maybe harder) to get the collectors to the show.  Once you get them to the show, you need to spend some time with them.

Well said! I've seen the exact same thing. And I wish more artists realized they need to work hard at bringing collectors in! I look at artist's websites who do shows and many still have last year's show schedule up!

Bobbie - you haven't done a show in a while, have you? Thinking about getting back into it?

suburban Chicago

Yes, I actually am - and you & Laura know that I'm local to Schaumburg - LOL

My new knees are great and the back is, well it's coming along. Nt where it should be but better. Not sure if this is the year but it's definitely in my future again  - and you are the gals to do it!

cbearlover Teddies by Connie
Nevada City

Hi everyone

Well said to you all.  We all should work together in keeping the "Bear Shows" going, there are not too many left.  It is way different then  a doll/bear show.  (i have this black cat in front of screen watching me type).  We work to make this treasure of a love bear for someone special and do spend time talking to that collector.  I know times are tough and money is tight but there still are collectors out there and they are spending less money, but looking for that special one.

As working with the promoter for Teddy Bear Convention Nevada City Ca i don't look at it as work, but a real pleasure and joy to bring all artist (and new ones too) together with new and old collectors.  Collectors are still looking for that special loving bear.

The Show use to be 3 days but for next year we have changed the days to Friday and Saturday.  Its a catch 22 for Friday or Sunday.
You can contact me by email for an application or any questions and thanks.  Be on the positive side about all Bear Shows!!

I encourage everyone to consider joining us next year at the Teddy Bear Convention Nevada City Ca April 9-10, 2010 :hug:

Connie Alexander
Teddies by Connie
Nevada City :hug:  bear_wub

Board footer