Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Abby&Ellie Originalz Mylo, North Dakota

Hi all!
I was just wondering if anyone had had any experience with using a Pfaff sewing machine with the

dual-feed

for their teddy bears?
I currently have a Viking, but was contimplating trading it in for the Pfaff. The gal at the store said she thought the dual-feed would work wonderfully for the mohair. But I thought I'd ask the real experts!  bear_grin
I have been happy with my Viking...but to be completely honest I have used it VERY LITTLE on my bears. I sew nearly EVERYTHING by hand. However have been experiencing a little of the dreaded nerve pains in my wrists/hands associated with sewing bear_cry , so would like to try to use the sewing machine more for at least some of my larger creations.
I have until the end of the month to trade-in and still get the full price paid for my viking at trade in.
Thanks all!
bear_flower With kindest regards, Patsy

lulubears Posts: 280

I have a Pfaff with the dual feed walking foot.  It's built into the machine, so you don't have to worry about attachments.  That was actually one of the features that I liked the best about the machine.  My Pfaff has been flawless and I wouldn't trade it for anything.   I've sewn through leather, fur pelts, thick synthetics, tent canvas, etc., and my Pfaff has never balked at any of them. When I purchased it, the man who was demonstrating it for me suggested I bring in the different fabrics I would be sewing on.  He went from one fabric to the next without ever changing the tension or needle.   I also sew on a featherweight,  both machines are just perfect for bear making.

If I remember correctly, Paula also uses a Pfaff.   Luann

Hi Luann!
Thanks for the input! So then, does the dual feed extra foot seem to be an advantage then? I think my viking sews well, however sometimes I think that top foot would really come in handy to help pull things through evenly. Do you use yours to sew the teddies too (I'm assuming so).
Hmmmmm....might havta consider getting one.  bear_rolleyes thought about keeping the one I have and just purchasing a new one....but considering it is nearly a year old and I bet I've only ever actually used it on only four projects (two of which were curtains for my sisters classroom and the others pin cushions) I can't see having two. My hubby got me this for Mom's Day/birthday last year for me to use on my teddies.... and I had good intentions...however I just like the CONTROL I have with handsewing. Plus I'm new to using a sewing machine (before my husband got this for me it had been back in high school home ec that I'd used one)...
What to do...what to do.... bear_wacko
Thanks SOOOOO much for the help.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Patsy,

I am in need of a new machine too and have been thinking about a Pfaff but I was just wondering what this dual-feed is?  Is it the little bit called IDT???  There seems to be quite a choice of their machines and have no idea where to start, maybe someone could recommend a particular model! (I have been using a Frister Rossmann for over thirty years and it is now beginning to go wrong  and the foot pedal was somewhat hot this morning after only a few minutes use!).

I know TT has discussed Pfaffs before but I just can't find the discussion anywhere!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I bought a Pfaff Select 4.0 a year or so ago ... I've always used a Pfaff machine and my new one does a good job.  The only reason I had to buy a new one was because my daughter jammed the old one so badly it bent the bobbin internal mechanism ... could probably have had it fixed but didn't want to wait while it was in the workshop, so bought a new one instead!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I heard wonderful things about Pffaff. My next machine will be one.

Hi All!
Thanks for all your input!!!
Marilyn...I beleive dual feed is referring to the upper presser foot. It has a foot on top also, to help pull things through. Whereas most machines only have the lower presser foot.
I knew getting some advice from other bear artists would make me feel much better about my decision.
Paula...do you think this type of machine really feeds things through better bear_grin ...especially mohair/furs?? That is the primary reason I am looking at one. I know when the gal demoed it I has impressed....however that was on different types of material.
Thanks again!

Board footer