Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

red wine? has anyone tried that. I know I have ruined many MANY white wool jumpers with red wine and haven't seen any ill effect to them.

I am guessing it would come out pretty mauve-ish... sounds good.

Do you think it may be too acidic?

Any suggestions or confirmation?

Take care,

Richy~

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi Richy
I have no idea, but I loved the question!   bear_innocent
It sounds like it'd work, if it doesn't also eat your fabric.  Fur, I'm assuming.
But I'd much rather drink the stuff! :crackup:
Sorry, I'm useless today and in a very goofy mood.   bear_tongue
            :hug:

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I'm with Laura - I'd rather drink it!  bear_grin  However, try a patch test and see if it works.  Another (cheaper and leaving the red wine to drink) idea is beetroot juice which has turned many a white tshirt of mine a permanent shade.

Cheers Clare

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

yip, would rather drink it, but interesting. Would just worry that it would turn grey after a while. I have had stains that I tried to treat and they went a sludgy color. Ok that is after having some chemical like peroxide or bleach on them, but there is a reaction. So would worry that over time it is exposed to stuff in the air and .... you know what I mean. My brain is not here today. Could be worth a try. Please let us know.

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

I would think it being orgainc in nature (like blood) the color may change after a while (like blood)
still, that could be cool too :dance:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Richy, I googled "dyeing fabric with wine" and got a BUNCH of info . . . too many to quote.

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

hmmmmmm, a valid reason to buy more wine????

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

LOL - do I stand alone here? Cannot STAND the stuff! It's all Sour Grapes to me!

Dyeing sounds like an excellent use for a product such as this....

No throwing those smelly, used corks at me now!

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Very interesting indeed!

tindlebears - Yes, it probably would change with time, but I've seen factory dyed mohair change shades over time too!

Sue Ann - I googled Dyeing with RED wine and not much came up. I did read through a few of the Dyeing with Wine and really didn't give me much info in the way of longlivity, I may just have to give it a whirl.

rkr4cds - Well, I am a fan of wine, not so much red (Gives me headaches). The cheaper the red wine it seems the more it stains.

I will give everyone my updates to see how it fares after some dye testing on some natural mohair that is unbleached and for dyeing.

Results in a few days I hope.

Do you think I would need to add vinegar and salt like usual?

Richy~

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

richy this is a good experiment... cant wait to see it!

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

I'm with Bobbie.  I can't drink wine...always smells like rotted fruit, but of course isn't that sort of what it is???

Board footer