Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

sanibear Florida

hello,
i'm working on my bear what i want to let stand free by himself... i put the weight in his leg, then i tryed in his belly.. then in his arm...
nothing worked .. now i have it in the legs and in his tail/.. but he still dont want to stand>
what should i do?? please help
sandra

Goldelocs Bears Goldelocs Bears
Brisbane

Simba_07b_Feb09small.jpgHi, I find that having a short legs, as well as weight such as glass beads or garnet in the feet and belly helps my bears to be free standing.
Hope this helps  bear_original

Natascha LeftyBears by Natascha Sabo
Remchingen

kanga.jpgDid you try this already:
Stuff just the feet firmly with steelshot and the rest of the legs with fibrefil, also firmly.
If your bear has longer legs, just make the feet bigger/longer, too.
I hope this helps!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Another thing you can try is putting stiff cardboard in the bottom of the feet to make them very flat, or if you don't want to use cardboard then stuff the feet while keeping them pressed against a flat surface to keep them as flat as possible. You definitely want to have weight in the feet if you are weighting the bear and I would try to not put too much weight elsewhere - you don't want to make him top heavy!. As already said make sure the feet are as large as possible for his size - too small a feet and he won't stand alone no matter what you do.

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

Also look at where you have the legs aligned and jointed to the body, make sure there is balance at that location.  I test mine by putting a doll needle through the leg, body, other leg and then make sure that it stands before permanently attaching.  But I thread joint on miniatures so I'm not sure how well this would work on larger bears.

/bearhugs,

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

PeachtreeCottage - I Was going to say the same thing. Make sure the legs are wide enough apart and are horizontal to the body, no pulled in legs like a V.

Also well stuffed weighted feet and legs, also make sure you joints are VERY tight.

Richy~

sanibear Florida

hello,
thanks so much for helping me.. yes i have bbs in the legs.. propably my feed are to smal .:(
i will try to put some bbs in the belly.
where can i find steel shots??? so u know?
thanks again sandra

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Hi Sandra,

I put on both my bear feet almost until the knee bear_grin and also on the button part of the body so gravity does it work...  bear_tongue I check intercalg but unfortunately i cant see it... but i do know that sassy bear and fabrics have them.. I saw it just the other day when i check her site or u can go ask www.jennylovesbenny.com where i get my supply from since it's closer to taiwan  bear_tongue

hope this helps...
:hug:

sanibear Florida

hello Ming,
thanks so much i will check it out right away
sandra

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I agree with the others, put glass or steel BB’s in the feet up to the ankles. But if you are adding weights to the belly and arms, that is probably toppling the bear over so chose one or the other (feet or belly).

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I buy my steel shot at Walmart....can be found in the hunting supplies section.  Lots of great tips here on balancing and getting a bear to stand on its own! bear_thumb The method I currently use for my standing bears is shorter legs, bigger (flat) feet, weight in the feet, and positioning the hip attachment lower on the body and closer together than for a sitting bear.  That last one might sound wrong as a wide base of support is logical, but it works well with the shorter legs and the look is cute with the legs close together when standing. bear_happy You can then turn out the feet a bit for your wider base if you want to.....also cute! bear_happy

Another thing you might try that works along the same line as stuffing the ankle firmly is using sturdy wire armature in the legs to help support them.  I do this instead of trying to stuff the ankles hard, as when I try stuffing hard here, I always end up getting the feet too fat and not flat. bear_wacko

sanibear Florida

thanks so much,
what kind of wire do you use???  bear_flower

button box bears Posts: 16

hi Sandra bear_flower
i have had the same problem with a big bear i made not so long ago, and after reading some of the tips posted i have corrected it with shorter legs, and weighted pellets in the legs,  but he's still balencing abit!  bear_wacko so it needs abit of work, but thanks for the question, the replys have helped me aswell!
love and hugs
Abi bear_wub

Board footer