Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Christmas??

roast chicken, new potatoes, asparagus and baby carrots (it being summer here) and sometimes pavlova but the most christmassy of christmas to me is "christmas snow"  a christmas dessert that is a tradition pretty much unique to our family.  Terribly bad for you and only ever eaten once a year.  Similar to ambrosia but not quite the same it is a dessert that I'm sure was born in the 60s as it's main ingredients are cyrstallised ginger, glace cheeries, crushed pineapple and marshmallows.

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi All,
           That has so cheered me up ,I have not been great for a while ,but this has done me a "World " of good. In Scotland we also have turkey stuffing and all the trimmings,but we also have a very Scottish "Clootie Dumpling"  Yum. Penny ,I shall need to stock up on those things too ,as I am having all my family for Xmas Dinner.

Hugs Rita xxx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Kathy said

Satsuma's are plums!!!!!

Our satsumas are  little fruits like an orange.

Jane  bear_flower

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

Are Satsuma's really plums in the U S over here in the U K they are small tangerines.  bear_original

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

What does Christmas taste like.....hmmmm bear_whistle  cookies, lots of them, date nut balls, either Lamb or Duck for dinner......lots of dip and chips.

New Year's Eve tastes like pickled Herring, a tradition my father started when I was very young, enjoy the stuff every year, the first thing I eat in the new year!
Ellen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Hy Rita, what is "Clootie Dumpling" my daughter,Sarah, says she has heard of it but not quite sure what it is.

Jane   bear_flower

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Hey, we really need all these Christmas recipes together then we can all sample everyone else's Christmas across the seas. Maybe we could all post them.

Jane.  bear_flower

Deb Upstate New York
gotobedbears wrote:

Milk of Magnesia - Rennies - paracetamol

:wacko:

HA! 

Cinnamon rolls with orange frosting.  We always popped them into the oven (the Pillsbury kind) first thing in the morning before the kids opened their gifts.  Good one Jane!

nettie scotland
Website

Dates,truffles (first thing in the morning) hot chocolate from a flask on the beach with the dogs,quorn roast with leek and mushroom sauce and ginger wine.I think I may have to go eat something now after reading all this.
I had no idea satsumas were a plum in the U.S I sold a bear called Satsuma in the U.S.He was bright orange which must have confused the buyer .Satsuma is also a period in china isn't it???I have seen satsuma pots on antique shows.Maybe the wee oranges came from that region??/who knows.

Todmorden West Yorkshire

Nearly Nettie its a province of japan thats where the lovely bright china comes from.
I could just eat a quorm roast with leeks right now with some date and walnut stuffing on the side yummy  bear_wub

nettie scotland
Website

Thanks Estelle .I am at that difficult age where the brain will not function properly.At least I was on the right track.
I could eat a quorn roast right now too.

Todmorden West Yorkshire

I am old enough for people to say Oh shes just having a "senior moment" I seem  to have rather lot of them now Im retired ,or supposed to be  :redface:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ooh, ooh . . . blackeyed peas on New Year's Day so you will have good luck for the rest of the year!!  That's an old southern tradition in the US.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wisdom Bears wrote:

but we also have a very Scottish "Clootie Dumpling" x

d050.gif  b020.gif  a055.gif

When I first read that I though you'd said  "but we also have a very Scottish "Cloonie Dumpling. And I thought, won't some George clooney fans be jealous!!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

that Satsuma thing clears up a mystery for me...I remember when one of the car companies, maybe Ford, came out with a new car colour called Satsuma and it was this deep purple (plum!) colour and I couldn't figure out why they called a purple car after an orange. Huh!  Here in NZ, we call the orange satsumas "mandarins".

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Bailey's and vodka!  bear_wacko

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Christmas tastes like whatever I want  bear_thumb  bear_thumb
This has ranged from macaroni cheese with jelly babies to cream of chicken soup with custard creams  :redface:
You see I have lots of food aversions and allergies so I eat whatever I feel like eating  bear_original
Once I made a real traditional Christmas dinner for my mum and dad and my kids (years ago now) anyway my dad said - 'what one earth is this?'
when I presented the first course which was home made cream chicken soup(my kids loved it!!)
Anyway never made any guest a real christmas dinner again bear_grin  bear_grin

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website
SueAnn wrote:

Ooh, ooh . . . blackeyed peas on New Year's Day so you will have good luck for the rest of the year!!  That's an old southern tradition in the US.

Sue Ann,

My roots go back to the South.  My mom and dad told us that for every blackeyed pea we ate on New Year's Day, we would receive a dollar that year.  Needless to say, we ate lots of blackeyed peas and just knew we would be rich.   

NOT!!!

Hugs,

Wanda

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Re: What does Christmas taste like?Wisdom Bears wrote:
but we also have a very Scottish "Clootie Dumpling"     

When I first read that I though you'd said  "but we also have a very Scottish "Cloonie Dumpling. And I thought, won't some George clooney fans be jealous!

Heather, when I first read what Rita wrote, I had to go back and reread it~  Thank you for a giggle, ladies.

m010.gif  m010.gif

PenPen  I had to go look up paracetamol.  I've been and RN for 24 years....huh?  I said, so I asked hubs, Huh?  he said.....I won't tell you what the parrot said.

For us Americans Paracetamol is acetamenophen or Tylenol.....nothing exciting like tylenol with codiene, or anything like that, just plain old tylenol......

Poooor PenPen.....doesn't sound like Christmas tastes very good at your place.....maybe you shouldn't have the ghosts do the cooking.....

but here's smilie just for you  drinking down the MOM   c015.gif

g100.gif

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

xmas.jpgSorry I'm late, I just read all 2pages now.   bear_original

I am so sorry that anyone who has sad memory in this season,
I just want hug you all !  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:
May your christmas will be full of blessings & love & yummy cookies.  :hug:

Back to original question.....
Tastes of Christmas for me is, the smell of christmas tree. yes, I didn't eat the tree of cause
but I couldn't live without the fragrance !!!  later on, I found out we never
had a real tree at home, the fragrance was just a spray of "sent of Christmas tree".  bear_ermm

Christmas in Japan is very different.
We eat chicken, potato, anything is ok but
some how we believe that " Christmas Cake" (the one with white cream and tuns of strawberrys)
is emblem of Christmas.  bear_wacko  here is one of the cake.
Hugs/Marie

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Clootie dumpling is like a solid christmas pudding that has been boiled in a cloth has a thick flour skin around it and they fry it........... it is beautiful ....... am I right Rita ... I was born in Glasgow and my Dad is a Scot that is what he called Clootie Dumpling

nettie scotland
Website

I fancy your cake Marie!!!!I also may try the old black eyed peas thingy and hope it supplies pounds as well as dollars.I havent even ever seen a black eyed pea though!!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I don't know that Christmas tastes like anything to me.

I all know is that it meant being up all nite preparing for a Craft show in our house. In which no cooking took place for over a week, oh wait we don't cook period! So that was normal.
Then after the craft show we would collapse for about one nite's good sleep and be getting ready for Toy Fair.

I'd have to go for mum's chocolate chip cookies with walnuts and sometimes spiced cider, if we had enough energy to make it.
bear_grin

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Jared Said     

oh wait we don't cook period! So that was normal.

Sooooooooooooooooo what do you eat?   bear_wacko

Jane    bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

ChristmasCake.jpgMarie  do you have a receipe for that beautiful cake?
Here in the Uk we have very rich fruit cake covered in apricot jam, then covered again with marzipan then iced all over with royal icing and then decorated with a Christmas design. YUMMY!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Jane   bear_flower

Board footer