Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL
doodlebears wrote:

Jared Said     

oh wait we don't cook period! So that was normal.

Sooooooooooooooooo what do you eat?   bear_wacko

Jane    :)

This, my dear Jane, is why the Good Lord gave us restaurants.

You need to get the newest translation -

And on the 9th day God spoke, "Let there be restaurants, it is not good that people should have to cook for themselves." And it was done and God saw that it was good. And the people rejoiced greatly saying, "Great is our Lord in Heaven for he hath seen to the needs of housewives, single men, and busy people. Praise be to God. AMEN!" And it was a great thing...
bear_innocent

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Everyone, Sorry for the late reply. Clootie Dumplimg is steamed in a Cloot, ie Scottish Word for cloth ) it is usually massive, Flour, Cinnamon,ginger and spice with lots of fruit ,treacle, syrup , apples and some grated carrot to keep it moist. the mixture is then put into a wet/floured cloth and cooked for about 2 1/2 hours, when it is is ready the cloth is then removed and it is dried off in the oven or beside the fire ,it has such a delicious skin too. I would not say it is solid mind you ,but after a few days it is lovely fried too. If anyone would like the recipe I can certainly give it to you ,as my husband does one for all the birthdays and for Xmas too. When I was young it had Silver Threepenny bits all wrapped up in Greaseproof paper and it was great fun hoping your portion would have one inside.  I'll need to stop this reminding myself about Xmas Past . He He.

Hugs Rita xxxx

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Rita, just about every word of your post, above, absolutely SOUNDS like a proper UK Dickens-y Christmas!

Clootie pudding!
Treacle!
Dried off... beside the fire!
Silver threepenny bits!

I think I will move inside your head.  Don't stop reminiscing; it's so full of richness and culture that, despite my many holiday traditions beloved one and all, just can't come close to the sweet romance of what you've just described.  I think I'd reminisce, too.

bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Well said, Shelli!!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Nowadays Christmas tastes bittersweet for me.

Marion, sending you Christmas wishes ... so sad to hear about your mum.

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

I remember back in the fiftys my mum never wrapped the silver theepenny bits she used to boil them first then just thr
through them into the mixture, we all had a stir and made a wish.
I can smell the spices now  ;)
present2.gif
present2.gif

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Champagne and strawberries, cherries and peaches and apricots, pavalova, ham, turkey and always eating so much that you need to go and have a lie down after lunch.
Christmas mince pies and Christmas cake which reminds me I need to make them this week.
So much to do and where does the time go!!!!

Sending hugs to all those that have lost loved ones at this time of the year.

Hugs
Carolyn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, Well, I read "Cootie Dumpling" the first time around! Eeew! Who wants cooties??? LOL! (Don't know if you folks across the pond had "cooties" when you were a kid but they were invisible germs that the all the boys had!) (Sorry, Jared!)

Jared, So then where is that 9th day during the week? It and the 8th are missing!!!! But, I knew there was another reason I loved God and knew He was looking out for me! I HATE TO COOK and we eat out just as often as possible!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Daphne,
That's ok when I was in 4th grade all the girls had cooties. It all balances out in the end.

As to the whole 9th day thing, that is why I said that you need to get the newest translation.
Translated by Theodore G. Bear.
he he...

Board footer