Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

AnnG Childhood Treasures
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

I would like to post a challenge for the summer.
How about making a new bear from something old. I have a couple of fellas I have to make out of my cousin's grandmother's coat. Maybe having a challenge posted will motivate me to get busy. Something old can be new again. Let's see some photos for some time in September.
AnnG

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Yes! Thanks for the good idea, Ann. I've got something old that I've been meaning to make into a bear.

Becky

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I just finished a bear made from an old quilt, but I'm willing to make another.  I was actually thinking of making a bunny.

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

COOL! I'm in  bear_cool

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

OK -- I have a plan for an old wool baby blanket. It took some thinking to decide how to incorporate the very pretty satin binding, but I'm nearly ready to cut.

If anyone with experience sewing blanket fabric on a sewing machine would like to add a tip, I'd be grateful. It's not particularly thick fabric, but it's not the woven stuff I'm used to. It's been washed and has a semi-felted texture now.

Thanks,
Becky

Little_Bearries Holt, MI

Ok... are we supposed to post pictures in these threads anymore? I'm confused by the challenge gallery...
I made this bear for this challenge from an old coat I bought in a garage sale... but I didn't see a gallery for this challenge yet, so forgive me if I'm doing this wrong!!!!!

bear1web9.jpg

She's 6 1/2 inches tall, fake fiber (UGLY coat), felted nose.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

What a terrific - non-ugly! - bear you've made from that old coat!

I'm not an expert on the site etiquette, but this seems to be a good place to post our photos. With only a few of us participating, it should work out just fine, I'd think.

Becky

Little_Bearries Holt, MI

Ok! Good to know since I'm working on another bear for this challenge too... I also found some old, velvety seat pads that I thought might make a good looking old bear bear_original

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

what a lovely idea and the bear is adorable Little_bearries.. I hope i'll remember this deadline! :redface:

Something old... there is no limit to what something old is right? Like maybe old jeans and shirts, hope those count?  bear_original

Zerades Zerades zauberhafte Haekelwerke
Northern Germany

frottee3.jpgfrottee2.jpgfrottee1.jpgI actually gave it a try and sewed my very first bear and am very pleased with how he turned out  :dance:
Of course I had no fur around since I usually crochet my creations. So an old terry cloth towel compaired with a yellow washcloth were chosen to give birth to 'Baby Frottee Bear'.

The pattern I used is available for free on craftbits.com and it's called Baby Pip.

Frottee has about 20 cm high, which is a wee bit under 8 inches and is completely handsewn.
After Frottee was finished I realized that he fits perfect in the something new from something old challenge, so here he is. I hope you like him as much as I do  bear_wub
He will become a get-well-soon-bear for my Dad who currently recovers from an eye operation.

Hugs, Andrea

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Andrea -- your Dad is going to love his bear! What a thoughtful gift.

I finally have a couple of hours this evening to cut out my pattern pieces. Here I go!

Becky

Northern Germany

Thank you Becky  :hug:

Can't wait to see your bear!

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Andre, your bear is so cute! And the way you pose your bear, makes it more adorable bear_wub I hope I can get mine done soon...

Northern Germany

Thank you very much, Ming  :hug:
guess what, my mum requested such a towel teddy too ::laughs:: will see when I can get this done... days are busy this summer.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

P1010766tt.JPGP1010770tt.JPG"Blanket bear" is here! This was a true challenge and a learning experience for me. I had never made a bear that wasn't furry, and it really made me appreciate working with mohair fabric!

The bear is fully lined since I found that the old child-sized wool blanket I used had some stretch. And the first set of arms looked much too thin without any fur, so I redesigned a chubbier pair. The paw pads are cotton velvet, and the ruffle around the bear's neck is made from the satin edging of the old blanket.

Thank you, Ann, for posting this challenge idea!

Becky

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hi Becky,

"Blanket Bear" looks really amazing  bear_smile ; I'm surprised you could make such a lovely teddy out of an old blanket.  bear_thumb

I think I will send all my old clothes and towels and stuff to you and you can turn them all into lovely bears !!  :dance:

Great work.

Hugs,  :hug:

Peterbear

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Dear Peter -- LOL -- I can't wait to get the package with the "old clothes and towels and stuff "!

Meanwhile, thank you for saying the bear is lovely:) I'm happy with the way he came out, but I also see every imperfection as if he were my first-ever bear. (I think I'll go back to beautiful mohair, now. It's such a good place to start.)

With my best,
Becky

AnnG Childhood Treasures
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

DSCN0544.JPG
Hi everyone, I hope this photo works. I made a silk embroidery bear out of an old coat . It was great fun, but of course there are always things you'd change on the next one. I still have an old fur coat that's waiting to be cut. I'm really glad others found this challenge fun. Forget the date, keeping going girls.
thanks
Ann

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Nice embroidery, Ann! Does the 2002 date have special significance? (Only tell us if you want to, of course. Bears have been known to keep secrets sometimes:)

Becky

Little_Bearries Holt, MI

These are fantastic!!!

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

bazzel.jpg
Bazzel was made from an old theater coat...i did something stupid too, i didn't get pictures of him before the show and he sold in the first 10 minutes!  the lady was paying me as I snapped this! MISS YOU BAZZEL!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Bazzel is fabulous! And a bit theatrical himself, no?

I really like his inset muzzle and his grand nose bear_original (It's no wonder he sold so quickly.)

Becky

Board footer