Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

pa-3.jpgpa-2.jpgskyline-5.jpgskyline-2.jpgskyline-8.jpgskyline-4.jpgpocono-1.jpgDavid & I went on a motorcycle trip last week. We left on Tuesday afternoon and returned home Sunday night. We met another couple from our club and spent our first night in Westmoreland, NY, only drove 2 1/2 hours that day. The next day we drove Rt. 8 through small NY towns, into PA Rt. 191 then Rt. 6 and 209 through the Poconos into Stroudsburg for the night.......talk about rain!!! The next morning we read that a tornado went through about 1 1/2 miles from where we were standing!

Day 3 took us across PA on rt 209 through small mining towns, talk about hills! We did get on the highway to get around Harrisburg, but got off onto Rt. 11 as soon as we could, finally arriving at our motel in Stephen's City, VA where we stayed for 2 nights. Beautiful warm weather this day. Day 4 we hit the Skyline Drive and drove 109 miles. Unfortunately, the weather decided to rain, but it finally cleared.....then, all of a sudden, I was waved around to the front of the group and got pictures of the Black Bear. He was on the other side of the road, minding his own business eating leaves and such. David moved his bike, making the bear sniff, decided he had enough of being on display, so he took off up the hill. It was so awesome being so close to a wild bear, with nothing in between us!

Our trip was beginning to end as on Day 5 we headed North up Rt. 522 through PA, WV, MD and PA, finally arriving in Elmira, NY for our last night on the road. We drove 325 miles this day, but the roads were wonderful, the weather warm and sunny, great day for a ride. Day 6 we changed our route because the racing was starting in Watkins Glen, so we headed East before heading North, only to be detoured back West because of Bicycle Racing. The rain started once again, but who cares, we were already soaking wet! Total miles driven: 1449 I tried to post the pics in order. Some of the the pics were taken as I was driving down the road......gotta get them when you can!  bear_grin

Next trip to New Hamsphire Aug 21 - 23. Next Year.....NOVA SCOTIA AND NEWFOUNDLAND! Can't wait!!!!

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Ellen,

Sounds as though you had a brilliant time even though it was a little wet!  How nice to see long stretches of open road without hundreds of cars spoiling it all!  The roads in our area are not at all good for bikers unfortunately but have often heard of good reports for biking in America. It would be really enjoyable especially if you went with other bike club members.

I do like your bikes though!!   bear_wub My hubby is a biker and I did ride one of his earlier bikes myself which I really enjoyed but it was rather heavy for me and I was scared that if I ever toppled over on it, I would never be able to get it back up on my own!!  His latest bike is even heavier so there is no chance for me now!!!  I often eye up different ones though and would love to have my own one ....  if I could afford it!   Nothing better than a whole load of bikes roaring down a road, the sound is sensational!!

Your next trip should be totally fantastic - I'm jealous!!!

Happy biking!

Hugs

Marilyn

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Sounds like a wonderful trip even tho the rain was there.  It sure was a lot of miles traveled.  Loved the bear, I have never seen one in the wild either.  Although where my son just moved they told him not to put out bird feeders due to the bears.
I have two kids that ride bikes, but not long trips like that.  It makes my heart sing also when I hear a bunch of bikes all together.  My son has given me rides on his, but he trys to scare me all the time so I will pass.  Thanx so much for sharing the pics, it was a joy to see.  My sister and her family live in upstate NY, Bovina center and Delhi, then over to Oneonta.  My son has a trailer up near Binhamton.  So I have been to NY state quite a few times but only that far.
thanx again for sharing and let us know about the trip in August.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, very nice pics, Ellen . . . what an adventure!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

Sounds like you had a great time! It must be fun just driving and enjoying the scenery...especially a bear! Thanks for sharing the photos, beautiful scenery!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Great pictures!!!!  bear_original
Holler hello while you're in NH!!!

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Wow great pictures and what a fun trip you had!!
Picture of the bear is awesome!!!!
Thanks for sharing. bear_original

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Looks like you had a great time...I loved looking through the photos bear_thumb
Laurie :hug:

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I agree with you Marilyn, the other bikes with me, including my hubby's, are all too big for me. I have a 750 Kawi and love it, the 1300, Venture, and 1800 are all too big. I tried sitting on David's bike and standing it up......didn't work! So I will stick with the smaller 750......

Well, lets see, Pat,  Delhi is about 3 hours south of us, but we do have friends there, Binghamton is about 5 hours for us. Next time you're in NY, take a longer vacation and come up to the St. Lawrence Seaway area, or to the Adirondack Park, beautiful country................

Daphne, probablty won't have much time for anything other than the planned programs when we are in NH. We will be staing at the Snowy Owl Inn in Waterville......plan to take the bike up Mt. Washington though!

Glad you all enjoyed the pics. It was a fantastic trip, even in the rain......5 days home and am still waiting for the boots to dry!!!!  bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

That's why I said to just "holler"... it'll echo through the mountains and I'll hear ya!!  bear_tongue

puca bears puca bears

GREAT photos! And the bear - wow - lucky you.......
thanks for sharing
huggies
Maria

Board footer