Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Deb Upstate New York

Okay ...

I listed bear made of alpaca, as such.  Mohair is goat hair, and alpaca is ... not ... and is not called mohair.  Correct?

I'm just kinda curious about what folks might be searching on in Ebay.  I know I usually search mohair bear ... without going to the artist category.  I suspect the word mohair would yield additional hits, but don't want to misrepresent or confuse.

Thoughts? (on adding the word "mohair" to the description of alpaca bear). 

Thanks!

Jump in here Intercal!  Anyone!  bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I search for 'artist bear' more often than 'mohair artist bear' on eBay.
Alpaca is from alpacas so most definitely not mohair.
But, you might consider saying something like

Mohair Artist's Bear "Andy" in Soft Alpaca by Deb ........
What's you eBay user name? I guess I could go to the Bears for sale page as I'm sure you've listed him there!

[I'm back, found him! First, he's wonderful! Second, I don't know how many hit's you've had but I'm sure he'll get lookers and you still have plenty of time left on the auction.

It would be interesting to know how the rest of you search eBay if you don't go to the artist bear category first!]

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Is this the little guy you are talking about? http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=3127

Deb Upstate New York
Daphne wrote:

I search for 'artist bear' more often than 'mohair artist bear' on eBay.

I search mohair bear.  I don't include the word "artist".

Daphne wrote:

But, you might consider saying something like

Mohair Artist's Bear "Andy" in Soft Alpaca by Deb ........

I'm going to noodle that.  I'm also curious now too, about how TTers search.  Hmm ...

Yup Kim, that's the one!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

He is a real cutie bear_original My fav of your bears so far bear_original

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Deb,
I search artist bear.
Donna

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

What does alpaca feel like?

Deb Upstate New York

Chrissie,

It's VERY soft.  My bear is made of shorter alpaca, but it comes in various lengths.  Judi has posted one with longer fur.  Feels silkier than mohair <I think>.

Nice stuff.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I don't search at all. I have a few categories saved and check those regularly, among them artist bears. But then, I haven't yet bought a bear. I just like making them and looking at other's bears.

Sabine

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I usually just go to artist bear category and view the newly listed bears. If I go there often enough I can keep up.

I've noticed a lady who sells thread crochet bears and also other types of bears occasionally. If it's not a crochet bear she will title it like...miniature mohair bear by thread artist [her name]. So you could try something like...MIKI - 12" Alpaca Bear by Mohair Artist Deb

Certainly can't hurt to try. You wouldn't be misrepresenting plus you have the words artist and mohair in the title.

Deb Upstate New York

Wow Sandi ... you got ALL those words in there!  Good job.  I did go back and add the word artist to the description, though it gives me a little heartburn ... but not enough not to add it.  Make sense?

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I search artist bear

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Deb .  The reason I use the wording "Alpaca mohiar" is becuse I want to differentiate between manufactured alpaca and real alpca fur...I use both.  ALso, I want ebayers to be able to find my bears that I make from manufactured alpaca as they hand in hand with mohair.

Alpaca fur, still on the leather, hide is very very different than "mohair" or manufactured alpaca.  Night and day really.   But you are correct in that mohair is from a goat whereas alpaca is from an alpaca.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

So, Judi, the bear YOU are selling is ALPACA, not 'Alpaca Mohair' as stated. Unless it is a blend of both wich does exist.

I don't know, your wording seems a little confussing to the unsuspecting. After all, alpaca is alpaca. Mohair is mohair. You wouldn't call it 'synthetic mohair' if you were using a rayon, poly, acrylic or the like fur, would you?

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Glad to help...if I did.

And yes, it made sense!

Board footer