Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Emily-small-1.jpgHi all, Because I wear blinders, I have just now discovered the Miniatures section of this forum!!!!  I thought I'd pop a little pic of my new little bitty girl in here just in case ya'll just browse the Miniatures...

She's on eBay and is also in the Bears For Sale section....

Beary warm wishes,
Kimberly Whitlock

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Ohh Kim she is gorgeous

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Yay another mini girl. I love the tootsies. More please. :clap:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY like her! Nah, LOVE her! I want to bid on her  but I KNOW the price will go beyond what I can afford.....  SHE IS LOVELY!!!  bear_wub

Ft. Bragg, NC

Kim-Bee, you never know!!  bear_tongue

Thanks everyone!  I've been wanting to do a little girl that just said 'sweet and gentle' with her expression.  I hope I achieved that!

Hey, I have a statement...  I've noticed I have trouble keeping good control of the ultrasuede footpads, and have a hard time doing them nice and 'straight'....  Anyone else have that problem, or am I just a big dork!!! lol  bear_wacko

I have also discovered that I loooove making minis!!!!!!

Kimberly Whitlock

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

And you are quite good at it... she is really adorable..... love her tootsies!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Emily is very adorable!  I'd have trouble "pulling toes" on anything that small . . . think you did a super job of it!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I still love her Miss Kimm, especially her nose which looks woven and is so unique.....We have some unbelievable mini-mavens here....it is such a true joy for me to see what all you talanted artists do.

I think I am the lukiest lady on the board!  Getting to hang out with famous artists and see the hot off the presses bears and teds.....it is such fun....

And I have to say the mini's just have the biggest part of my heart....

love-smiley-001.gif to all you artists that are so genreous with your ideas and help!

dilu

Ft. Bragg, NC

Dilu,

Thank you so much!  But me famous, not hardly!! lol

There sure are some wonderful Artists on here!  And some of them, well I feel so lucky to be able to mingle with THEM!!  There really so many great mini artists that do delightful little bears, aren't there?  I have been lucky enough to have had a lady that was so selfless to 'show me the ropes' of bear making, or else I wouldn't be in here today.  I didn't know about this forum for the longest, and she was all I had to gain the knowledge (plus going out and buying a book on bear making) to get started!  She also simply inspired me to make the best bears I could!  Kim Basta is truly one of the most wonderful bear artists (and one of the most wonderful people) I know in cyber world! Now I can't wait to know enough to give tips to newbies who want to make little wee ones (or big ones!)

Sue Ann, thank you very much!  Coming from you, that is truly a compliment to be had!  bear_smile  I have seen your bears, and they are just beautiful!  So for you to tell me I've done something really well... that definitely puts a smile on my face!  Yes, the pulling toes was a series of experiments on how to do it best, and trust me, I had quite a few toes that weren't pulled, instead they had a loose loop of thread dangling!!! Argh!  I'm still experimenting and trying new ways so that there isn't a little visible knot anywhere (we have to start the thread somewhere!!)

I am working on another Christmas Bear; I do love this holiday the most!!!  The twinkling lights, the Christmas Tree, the snow (and we have plenty of it right now!)... It just inspires cute little fuzzy festive bears!

Now that I've written a book; better get back to stitching!  bear_tongue

Kimberly W.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I need help with sculpting.. I really would like to improve my sculpted tootsies and sculpt my mouths... I guess I am a visual learner after all! LOL I got a really good book that my mummy bought me and it shows sculpting

Dilu Posts: 8,574

What a good idea Kimmy, I to would like to know how it is done on the wee ones.  Maybe we can get one of the other Kim's to give us a mini lesson?

dilu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Good idea, dilly... HINT HINT  bear_laugh   bear_laugh   bear_laugh

Ft. Bragg, NC

Hee hee, you guys! 

Well, I'm happy to give what pointers I know...  Of course, I didn't learn any 'conventional' method for sculpting, I just taught myself.

Here goes...  Now puh'leeeeeze don't get mad at me if it doesn't work for you (I'd practice on a practice head if you're unsure! Or just even practice this sculpt on any stuffed scrap appendage, etc.) but what I do for sculpting is start the thread somewhere non or less visible.  Then I go to where I want my sculpting to start ie. the cheek or side of the mouth, bring the needle out and then back in right beside it (I'll call that my first stitch).  Then I poke the needle through to where I want the 'pinch' to be (for lack of a better term!)  I don't pull the thread completely through where I just brought the needle out, I leave a loop on the side where I'd just made that first tiny stitch.  Now, where I just brought the needle out, I take another tiny stitch (I'll call my second stitch) and go back to right by where my loop is.  (Let's just say you are doing the mouth. Right now your bear should have two loops of thread hanging out, one on either side of the mouth)  I pull the thread all the way back (just so there isn't a loop of excess thread on the side of the second stitch) and bring the needle through that loop from the first stitch.  Now don't pull it tight there.  What I do is I gently give a tug on that loop that 'connects' the two little stitches until it's taut.  this starts the sculpt.  then I pull the thread all the way through, closing up that loop.  This is where you want to be careful.  Make sure you don't have the needle end of the thread looped around that loop too much, or else it'll just knot off and then you'll have all this excess thread and no sculpt.  You just need to bring it through the loop.  OK, Am I making sense so far?  Man, I HOPE so.... lol  I hope you guys aren't like, "Whaaaaaaa.....?" lol   bear_wacko  OK, now take the slack end of the thread (the end that is connected to the needle) and pull slowly.  That loop should be getting smaller and smaller.  Then, you should see your sculpt taking shape.  I pull just a teeny bit at a time once the loop is gone (ESPECIALLY on the wee little bears), just until I am satisfied with that spot.  Once I am, I reinsert the needle very close to where I've brought it all out, and move on to the next place I want to sculpt.  Just remember when you're doing the face, just like threading the mouth, your sculpt spots have to be reeeeaaally symmetrical, or else you get a lop-sided face.

I hope I did not just totally type a 'duh' tip... ha ha... You guys are sitting there saying, "Well, duh, Kim W. I KNOW how to do THAT!!!! lol  bear_whistle

If you didn't know, I hope that helps and I didn't just totally confuse you guys!!

Kimberly W.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Thankyou Kim that was a great explanation ...... :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Board footer