Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

clare14 Country Bears
England

I just saw this on one of our newspaper sites......   bear_shocked    Hope they enjoy the fuss they get, my dog wouldn't sit still for this, would yours....??!!    bear_tongue

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … shows.html

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Yeeeew,  shiver, shiver, shiver .........  Am I the only person who hates things like this???

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

No Marilyn I don't think  much of this either I think it is cruel these poor dogs being treated like that  shame on their owners  bear_angry

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

Well, we're with you.  Let's see the comments that came out of my husband's and my mouth when we saw the pictures of these poor poodles.  "Oh......my......gosh."  "That's tragic!"  "That borders on abuse, doesn't it?"  "It's just plain wrong."
Cheryl

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

LOl Ok I'm going to be the odd ball here. I think they are fantastic, no harm is done to the dogs, they basically are all poodles who get their fur cut anyway so they are use to being trimmed. What's the difference in doing this and or people who dress their animals up ( we've seen that on here and people thought that was adorable).

This is fantastic art work,  I mean I hate it when a poodle is trimmed in a poodle cut I think they look stupid, but with the amount of work that went into these I think it's spectacular.  Our groomer does the dying of the fur but I have not had my dog done as she is to much of a Tom boy to be coloured.

big hugs

Shane

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

The art work is wonderful, but you know it would take longer than a "normal" grooming, so that would put more stress on the poor dog.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wonder what that paint does to their skin. I'm sure they inhale it too. Putting a cute little sweater/jacket/rhinestone collar etc. on a pampered pooch is one thing. These dogs had to stand there for two hours AT the show but that doesn't count the hours beforehand being washed, brushed,  then painted... then at the show getting clipped, manipulated, hair entensions weaved in to make a mane, probably got paint in their eyes so they could have black rings around them like a panda, had God knows what attached to their back so they'd have a camels hump. The process is practiced over and over to get it right. The dogs didn't endure all this just once! Its so unnatural and goes so far beyond a traditional wash and clip.

I sat through as much of a TV show as I could bear on this very thing. Those were not happy dogs. It was very obvious and people were there trying to stop this nonsense! The people who do this may be creative but that doesn't make it right. Even the photographer was quoted as saying: "'By the time the dogs get to me after they have been through the tournament they are bounding around and very happy." Of course they are bounding around. They're finally free! Their owners are done with the spray paint and pulling and tugging at their fur and them having to stand still!

Just my opinion of course. bear_noexpression

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

The paint or dye used is washable and it's harmless. At least the coloring we used at my grooming salon was and all the groomers I know who compete in competitions like this used dyes that were harmless. I had several of my groomers compete and every dog used loved it!! They were doted over, paraded around and loved all the attention. love and treats they recieved. If I thought for one moment a dog was being harmed or was unhappy I wouldn't have allowed it.
Once I had a dog come in for a summer cut called a Lion Clip. After the grooming he was embarrassed to come out of his cage, hung his head low and wouldn't look anyone in the eye for days. I told the owner we would not put him in the cut again as she waited until he was too old (8 years) to start doing it and it was upsetting to him.
Again I would never allow any dog to be harm. bear_original

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

Cyndee, thanks for the groomer's perspective on it.  I hope all the competing groomers were as conscientious and caring as you and your grooming staff.  Sorry my previous post was a bit harsh--Matt has been putting in some 16 hour days lately and we were both VERY tired last night.
Warmly,
Cheryl

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Thanks Cyndee, it's nice to hear the opinion of someone who knows. I know our friends had a dog and they had him clipped really short, he was embarrassed as heck and he didn't even want to play after the fact. 

I know the stuff my groomer used was not harmful to animals or people , she did one little dog and gave her pink ears and a a pink tail.  This little dog felt like a princess, she paraded herself around and was so proud. My dog would not have anything to do with it let me tell you, she wouldn't sit still long enough lol.

hugs

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm still not seeing an ounce of shine, never mind happiness in the eyes of the dogs in THESE photos and look at all the negative comments to the article! Groomers may see the fun and acceptablity in this sort of thing, it's what they do! But its clear there are a lot of regular old dog owners out there who don't and can see the obvious anything-but-happy looks on these dogs faces. I'm glad to hear the paints are at least safe for them, thanks for clearing that up Cyndee.

Edited to add that I'm thinking if the dogs in these photos (which is what people are basing their opinions on) LOOKED like they were enjoying all this we might see the fun in it too.... we all respond to the expression on someone's face - human or animal. If they'd just been parading around and all happy they'd be panting, smiling, eyes full of life, etc. I guess I'm just not seeing that!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

oh my. They are fun to look at but I wonder if the poor dogs appreciate their a new look. I am sure rules of the contest are firmly in place to make sure no abuse has taken place.

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

Shane, I gotta agree with you! I think it's fun and the dogs aren't harmed in any way...in fact they get loads of attention. I do like a poodle in the show clip...for the show! They look fantastic! They prance like they own the place! They know they look good! After the show, they get it all shaved off! It takes about 3 hours a day to maintain a show clip. bear_wacko
I have a standard poodle and I know the breeder well (they also show champion poodles). These dogs need to be groomed constantly...They need a good haircut every 6-8 weeks! Most of them totally enjoy the attention. They are clowns by nature...they love goofing off and entertaining. Most of them really think they are human. My boy certainly thinks he is! bear_tongue The only part he doesn't like is getting his feet trimmed, he's ticklish! This type of hair sculpting isn't much different than what a poodle handler would have to do to show the dog in a competition. This is probably easier on the dog, I'm sure it all gets shaved off when they get home.
I know everyone doesn't like the same thing...but owning one of these amazing dogs changes your view on them. When in the sport clip, which is what I groom my poodle in, many people stop and ask what kind of a dog he is, they find him really beautiful.

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

I'm with you, Daphne.   If these dogs could speak English, I'm pretty sure we would all need to cover our ears!
Janice

Murrieta, California

You are welcome Cheryl and Shane. :)
I'm sorry there are some who think these dogs are unhappy.
I can tell you that there are many photos of me that look like I'm saying something not too nice to the camera yet nothing of the such was on my mind!!!  bear_grin
I can only speak for the shows I have been to and the dogs my groomers showed and competed with. And those dogs I can assure you were very happy. One Standard Poodle "Oliver" would keep us all, including the Judges in stitches with his antics and enthusiasm!! The moment he knew he was going to a show we would all laugh until our sides hurt because of the funny things he would do! He couldn't wait to get in the van and go! He always won and would come home with ribbons and trophies he was quite proud of. If you ask him "Where are your awards Oliver?" he would take you to a case in the salon and show you his winnings.
Oliver was my dog and he showed up until the ripe old age of 11!!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have to agree with the 'negatives' in this one. While I think grooming is necessary for pretty much every breed for lots of reasons I think that this is just a means of allowing groomers to demonstrate artistry. While there is nothing wrong with this need to be creative I think that it's an affront to dogs that we humans 'use' them as a canvas to show off no matter how clever it appears. In hairdressing we have competitions ....in the past more so than nowadays ...where we would create wild styles on models...the difference being that the model consented to the experience and would be happy to sit for hours and hours while we 'created'....but dogs get no such option.
I think it's fine if we know 100% that the dog is happy about it...but that's the problem...we don't know..and dogs whatever the breed ...poodles, afghans..whatever... are dogs first and foremost and as such should be treated with respect.

Having said that I think the designs are very clever...but the dog itself gets nothing out of it apart from looking daft till it grows out.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_laugh  As a retired dog groomer, I've gotta join the ranks with Cyndee.  Believe me, the poodles that sport coats long enough to participate in these types of events are more than used to the long hours needed for primping... in fact by this age its a way of life.  Every photo I've seen has been a happy dog, and honestly from what was written about the contests, it sounds like this grooming contest was shorter than what would be necessary for a standard poodle in the ring on a normal show day.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I am with the negative here.
I think a dog should look like a dog, not a Panda or camel or other.
They just look silly to me and probably feel embarrassed.
All dogs look great groomed, as to how they should look.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_original I have to go with the negative too but I take on board and understand what Cyndee and Debbie are saying as I have done plenty of dog grooming in my time as well and still do BUT I do not like to see animals of any kind being made exhibitions of.

Hugs Lyn  bear_flower

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

Well, i don't know. I'd like to bring up the point that these dogs have probably had been dressed like this for more than one time, and maybe it makes them seem a little bit more special than other dogs? And, dogs love attention, so I don't think they really care how weird they look as long as they have lots of nuzzles to go around. bear_tongue  bear_grin  And I don't think that these owners buy these dogs for just acting like gucci purses, they are probably cared for very well, considering that they actually cooperate in this two hour time period of grooming and such. In the end it pays off, anyway. Like teddy bears, they are works of art and not canvases of abuse, in my opinion.

Cathy Forcino Apollo Beach, Florida
Website

I wanted to give Baylee a Kool Aid rinse for Halloween last year and boy was I lucky to have read an article about a woman who owns a beauty shop in St. Pete.  She gave her big white poodle a Kool aid rinse in pink for breast cancer awareness  Some mean-spirited person turned her in and she was arrested!  Apparently there is a law on the books in Florida banning the coloring of animals.  It was enacted years ago when it was trendy to give your kids dyed peeps (baby chickens) for Easter.  Remember that?  I do, but then I might be giving away my age - haha.  It was a stupid tradition and most of the peeps ended up dead every year.  Not very nice, but gee whiz.  This lady was trying to do something good and put regular old Kool Aid on her dog.  So, I was spared the embarrassment of having an arrest record because I made my little white doggie rainbow bright by adding Kool Aid in her bath rinse haha.  Now would you all have let me live that down?  I hope not!  Really, Cyndee is right.  These dogs are perfectly safe and aren't unhappy.  They have no idea they are funny colors and they have been trained from puppies to be groomed without being stressed or upset.  It's just part of their lives.  You see them at the shows and it's just amazing how calmly they allow their groomers to take care of them.  A good groomer will practically cause them to fall asleep!  But don't worry - I won't let Baylee in the Kool Aid!  Heck, she would probably love it and drink it all up anyway.

LEllenBrown Posts: 213

Oh my goodness! I live in Florida too, Cathy, and did not know about that law. I don't plan to change the color of my little yorkie, but can you imagine being arrested for using Kool Aid! Ellen

Murrieta, California

Actually there are a few States that still have that law on the books.
I'm trying to find the story about the Florida dog owner. I missed it when it happened and I would like to know the particulars of the story. bear_original

Murrieta, California

Oh and Ellen I own a Yorkie too.:)
Did you know that Yorkies are dyed for the show ring? Here's a link. bear_original
http://purepaws.net/home.htm
Click on the grooming and it will take you to a video showing a show groom on a Yorkie. I think there is one for Maltese's too Cathy. bear_original

LEllenBrown Posts: 213

Ah yes! I see the little yorkie in your Bubble Up Bears picture! Cute! Mine is black and gold. Yours is that lovely blue grey with gold! They are such characters arent they?

Ellen

Board footer