Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Hi all!

I've checked the library and couldn't find this one, So I thought I would ask.

I have tried several methods of attaching my eyes, Stitching and securing behind the ears, under the chin, at the back of the head - But no matter what I do, I always end up with one eye that is looser than the other ?? To the point you can pull the eye out of the head a little (it then fits back in - so you can only see the problem if you are actively pulling on the eyes -

What can I do to get my eyes secure? has anyone got any tips for me?

I am sculpting a socket and then setting the eyes into it.

Also, how do you sink a knot? I have tried and tried but I just can't get it done; the knot stays on the surface  bear_wacko  Most of my technique books say "and then sink the knot" without explaining how the heck to do it!!

Thank you!

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

My method that I have been using lately is.......enter the needle at the eye position and come out under the chin but the opposite side to the eye you are attaching.  Seperate the threads and tie tightly, I then take one thread through to one side where the ear will be placed.  Repeat for the other eye. You will then have 2 long threads to attach each ear.  As I glue felt accents under and around my bears eyes this helps to secure them also.

There are many ways to attach the eyes but I guess the one that works well for the individual is the one to use.

That would be "an artists choice"

Zhuvycia Meskis Bears
Lithuania, Elektrenai

When I was trying to sew eyes with one strand, it hapens to me also all the time - one eye tight, another loose. But then I started to do it with two diferent strands and now it is much better.

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hi ya, 

This may sound a little silly but, do you push in your eyes when tying them off? I personally can't do it all myself so I get someone (my mom haha) to push the eyes in for me while i'm tying off so I can get them tight. 

I use a long strand of thread, loop it into the eye so I end up with 2 tails of thread. I thread each strand separately  and exit behind the ear about a 1/8th inch apart and tie. I don't hide the knots, just the tails.   

Another thing that may help, waxing the thread, prevents slipping off the knots.   

Richy~

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I use a wax type thread. I found that regular upholstery thread slips as I try to tie the knot and my eyes were loose. The wax sinew or floss will keep it from slipping making a nice tight hold when doing the eyes.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

We use artificial sinew for attaching our eyes. We use one long strand and double it, we have sculpted the eye sockets and done the thread sculpting. We insert the eye and we come out through the bottom of the head near where the head joint is. We bring both eye strands out near one another.  I am usually the pusher and Steve the puller, I push on the eyes and Steve pulls and I hold them in place while he uses the strands and ties them off about three times. He then brings those strands up through the head near where the ear will be and this should sink the knot in the neck or close to it. Because of the position of the knot if it does not sink it won't be seen or felt anyway. but much easier to have two people do it, so enlist the help of someone when you are tying off the eyes.

Hope this helps

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Thank you all - seems like I need a helper! I do loop it through so it has two strands and I do try to push them in at the same time - I guess i'm not strong enough to get it right by myself. I am using a VERY strong waxed thread - whipping twine -

Thank you all - hopefully my bears can have tight eyes now.  :crackup:   :hug:

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Hi Julia!

I have experienced the same problem you describe.  I found this great blog with terrific photographs at Paula Carters website on her blog under 'tips'....boy is that an understatement.  She has all sorts of great information there.  If you have some time...the set of tips is well worth your visit.  She should collect them into a book.  They are priceless. 

http://www.allbear.co.uk/Html/mainframe1.htm

Her method is a little more complicated then those described above, but she does it singlehandedly and I've seen it described elsewhere in the literature.  I think it works because you are holding the eye in place from several different directions and that would make for a more secure positioning (as well as allowing you to do some adjusting I would think as you position it.  I plan to try it on my next bears as I am not at all satisfied with my current method.  I am also investing in the longer needles...a must.

Pat

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

This information is such a great help!

Would anyone like to tackle the question about "sinking a knot"? Does that simply mean pulling it inside the fabric? (Wouldn't that negate the purpose of a knot?)

Thanks!

Becky

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Sinking the knot doesn't negate having the knot, it just means rethreading the tying off thread and using the needle to pop the knot back inside the head so that it isn't sitting on the surface. The best way is to thread each thread and pull each of them separately, I've found that if you try pulling both in together it doesn't work as well as doing each one separately. Now if you have used doubled threads then you would thread each pair together, then pop them in. Give them a good sharp tug and you'll hear when the knot has popped in, give the erea a brush and you won't even know where the knot is. Just make sure you have your eyes in right before you do this, because it can be a real pain in the neck trying to find those threads again if you need to take the eyes out!!!!!!  bear_ermm

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thank you Linda!

Now I think I've got it -- The "dangling" end threads pull the knot inside a NEW spot, not the one you just came out of. The knot is actually doing double-duty since it would have to go through the fabric twice in order to pull out.

Yay!  :dance: (I've been wondering about that for a long time.)

Becky

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Thanks for your expanation Linda - very helpful  bear_grin

Board footer