Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Just to let you all know i won't be on as much as our oldest dog Ben had a stroke Thursday morning, the vets wouldnt come out to see us and we really couldnt lift him as he is so big also was in such a state. After a few phone calls to the vets we decided to ask the man next door if he would help and thank god he said yes.
The vet said that Ben had had a stroke and had swelling in his head which was what was making his eyes bobbing and also why he couldnt walk. They told us to leave him with them and they would phone us. When they phone they said he was doing better and had had something to eat and had taken a few steps and for us to phone back in the morning. The vet wasnt in but we was told Ben was doing well and the vet would phone us at dinner time. When i phoned they said Ben was no different and he was not eating and asked us to go there and see if we could feed Ben. When we got there he looked in such a state but thankfully we got him to eat for us. While we was there they wanted to show us how they got Ben out for a wee as we could take him home the next day (Saturday) if we felt we could cope. It took 2 of them to lift the poor baby with towels under him, he was all over the place and couldnt walk at all. They said if we felt we couldnt look after him then he would have to go to another vets on Saturday as they wasnt open on Sundays and then Monday he would be taken back to them.
This morning we went to get Ben. He still has such a long way to go and we dont know if he will ever make a full recovery, the vets said he might be left with a tilt to his head.
We have to take him back to the vets on Monday
Ben1.jpg

Hugs  :hug:
Vicki xx

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, sorry to hear about your dog, hope he makes a full recovery  :hug:

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Vicki,

I am so very sorry to hear about your gorgeous dog Ben, in fact I feel really sad after reading your account of what had happened to the poor love.  It's so terribly hard isn't it when something happens to our beloved pets and I really feel for you and your family.  Loads of us know how you are feeling.  I am keeping everything crossed that Ben makes a good and swift recovery and am sending all possible positive vibes and hugs your way.  You take care now.

Hugs,  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Marilyn x

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Oh I am so sorry Vicki  bear_flower
that is so sad to hear that Ben has had a stroke.
Sending all my hugs and I hope that he will soon be back on his feet and making a good recovery.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

Fingers crossed Ben makes a full recovery  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

My thoughts are with you, your family and especially your lovely Ben.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Poor little doggie...
I will keep him in my thoughts.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

I hope Ben recovers and soon. He must be glad that hes "home" and not at the V.E.T's ... I've never know any dog particularly liking them very much.  :hug: Warmest hugs to your boy and my very best wishes for him  :hug:

Raewyn

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

:hug:  I'm so sorry. I hope he is feeling better soon.  :hug:

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

Vicki,

Oh poor Ben  bear_sad  I'm sending him lots of get well thoughts and hugs and I hope that he makes a full recovery.

Regards

Lisa

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Hi Vicki,
I'm sorry to hear about your Ben. I did want to encourage you with a little bit of a story about my Labrador Tanna. She started having seizures when she was 12 and had a total of 4. With the exception of the last one she recovered quite nicely. She was able to get around, eat and even play a little bit. She did have a tilt to her head but she was very happy and loving up until her death at 16.
So don't give up hope. Ben can recover. bear_original

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hi Vicky,

It was so sad to read about your lovely dog Ben.  I hope and pray that the vets will be able to make him well again.  :pray:

We are all thinking of you and, of course, keeping our fingers and paws crossed for his recovery.

Hugs,  :hug:

Peterbear

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Aww, Vicki you must be so worried about gorgeous Ben. Bless his heart he looks such a sweetheart. I hope he does well and he can get going on his own again, it must be such hard work to lift him. Big hugs to all of you.
(((BIG HUGS)))) Jane.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

My cat of 26 years had numerous strokes before she passed away, but each time she had at least a partial recovery and she was happy to be alive. THe important thing is lots of closeness, petting and gentle words.* Very important is to make sure he gets water. I used to hold my cat level so she could drink water when her legs were weak. Animals don't think like people, they don't regret or look to the past. As long as they're OK for that day, life is good!
Karen
P.S. My two younger cats would she her wobbling every morning to the breakfast dish and would give a look like WHat! you're still here?!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Awww, Vicki, I'm so sorry to hear about your Ben!  I'm sure he'll do much better at home, than at the vets - he knows where he's loved.  Fingers crossed that he makes a good recovery and please keep us posted.

hugs,

Brenda

puca bears puca bears

Hi Vicki    - I'm really sorry to hear about poor Ben  - I hope he picks up soon.
And I can really empathise with you as another BIG dog owner.........Nounours weighs about the same as me, and carrying her (which we had to do once) is NOT easy.
I'll be keeping everything crossed for Ben
huggies
Maria

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh I'm so sorry, please give him a kiss for me, hope he gets much better  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

sylvia bjb blue jean bears
Website

Oh Vicki, I'm so sorry about Ben. I hope he recovers very soon. I'm sure he'll do better being home with you where he can feel your love and caring.

Big hugs to you all :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

bear_cry Vicki,

I am so very sorry to hear about Ben.   I adore dogs and I know how much they add to our lives and become favorite members of our family.  My heart goes out to you and so does a prayer for Ben.  Try to be positive if you can around him because I believe that pets are very sensitive to our moods and emotions.  If you feel that he will get stronger then he will feel that way as well.

:hug: BIG bear hugs to Mr. Ben!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Vicki: That is so sad to hear about Ben!! Many hugs and prayers for your little (big) guy. :hug:  :hug:  :pray:  :pray:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Vicki I am so sorry to hear about Ben!!  I hope he has a quick and full recovery... :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My best wishes to Ben for a total recovery, but if that is not in the cards, then I hope he can get about with a partial recovery.  Hugs to you both.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Aw, sorry to hear that about your sweet baby.  I hope he has a total recovery and quick!   :hug:

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I want to send you my best wishes for his recovery too.  I'm glad you made it to the vet!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Vicki,
This sound exactly like what happened to my friend's dog last month.  However, they did not diagnose her with a stroke they rather called it vestibular syndrome.  I am happy to say, that while she is not 100% and probably won't ever be, she has made a remarkable recovery.  For the first week, they took her out using the towel method, she began eating better and was finally able to walk on her own.  She started slowly, a couple of steps at a time and now is doing quite well.  She is a bit stumbly and still has her head tilt, but is greatly improved.  She goes for walks daily down to the end of the street and back and is enjoying life.  I hope that you have the same successful outcome. 

Hugs,
Alison

Board footer