Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

In the news here today was the first known documented case of the Swine Flu in a 13 year old domestic cat in Iowa .  bear_sad  They said the owners had had the H1N1 Swine Flu and more than likely gave it to the cat. I had no idea that it could cross over to animals or should I say that we could give it to our pets. It is reported that the cat is recovering which is good news.  bear_original
Any of you Teddy Talkers worry about your pet or pets getting the Swine Flu?

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Ummm, no.  Thought never crossed my mind.  I keep watch for a dry bark.   bear_laugh Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hugs,
Alison

Murrieta, California

I think from the report I heard it's the other end you might want to watch Alison!
I couldn't resist either. bear_laugh

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I did not know our fur babies could catch it! Glad to hear the Cat is getting better.  bear_thumb

Murrieta, California

It has me concerned for Herbie because he has to go everywhere I go being a service dog. People are constantly asking to pet him. Until this "Flu Season" is over I'm afraid no one will be petting him. bear_sad

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I just heard! I have to tell my sister who has the flu and all kinds of animals. If it's as tough on animals as people it's going to be one wicked sickness for a poor pet, especially, if they are elderly.
Karen

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Oh geez, that is terrible!  So not only do you have to worry about yourself, your DH and your kids getting it -- you have to worry about your pets too?  Crazy!

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

I just got my H1N1 vaccine.  I talked to Dolan and Darra and assured them if they get sick, it wasn't from mommy.   Dolan said, thanks mom.  Darra just gave the usual dumb look that she is so good at!   I'm hoping to get the kids vaccinated soon so the whole family dogs included will be safe.

~ Alison

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

gosh I had not heard of this happening for pets, I will keep an eye on my cats.
Hugs
Catherine xx

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

What is more worrying is the fact that it's jumping between more species, which could mean a nasty mutation and a whole new kettle of fish!!!!! Stay well everyone!  :pray:

Murrieta, California

I didn't think of that Linda!!!!
My daughter as of last night is very very very sick. She has Asthma and because she was born drug addicted a very weakened immune system. She could not get the shot because she is allergic.
I am hoping for the best.

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

That's terrible Cyndee! I hope your daughter gets well real quick! I just heard about the cat thing too and I was just telling my friend it would be better to be a dog or cat right now! I knew hamsters, ferrets etc... can catch colds and the flu from us. I'm sure I've been exposed already and now I have to worry about my 4 senior cats bear_sad

Murrieta, California

Thank you Brenda.
I too have 2 cats. One 14 years old and the other 8. Neither are outside cats but now that the flu is in my home I am not only worried about my daughter by my cats and Herbie too!!! I don't know if you got a shot but I can't have one either.
Stay well my friend. bear_original

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

No I haven't got the shot, right now there's a shortage of vaccine and I would be on the bottom of priority. My daughter was sick 2 weeks ago and she was exposed. She was better for a few days but now I think she has infection. She's going to the doctor tomorrow. So far I've been lucky with only a touch of "something" Hopefully all the vitamins and Cold FX is boosting my immunity bear_happy

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I've been doing some reading on the subject.

First, H1N1 flu (nor any disease) can not be contracted by a human or an animal if they are never exposed to the virus.
If you don't have it and your pets don't have it, neither of you can get it unless you come into contact with a source of the flu.  It is believed that the cat in question caught the flu from its human family.

Second, this is not a new phenomenon.  H1N1 flu is a "Type-A" influenza virus.  It has been known for more than 30 years that Type-A influenza can be transmitted from humans to animals.  In fact, scientists sometimes use animals to do research on Type-A influenza.

Third, not all animals are susceptible to the Type-A influenza.  Cats, ferrets and birds are.  Of course, pigs are.  That's why they call it the swine flu.  Some other animals are susceptible too.  I don't have an exhaustive list. 
Dogs are not very susceptible to it.  They can get it but it's not likely.

As far as cats go, Type-A influenza is NOT maintained in the population.  In other words, one cat or a few cats can catch the flu but it is very unlikely that it can be transmitted from cat to cat or from cats to humans.

So, at least in this instance, we have a problem that is worth taking note of but it's not anything to be worried about any more than the flu bug, itself.  This is just another characteristic of the flu that nobody bothered to publicize until now.

Ask yourself this question:  If you were a public health official and you knew that some animals can catch the flu but you also knew that it was not a big threat, would you publicize the fact and risk causing a panic?

If it was me, I sure wouldn't unless there was a compelling reason.

Murrieta, California

With the flu in my home I'm going to take the advise from this doctor and use caution. She suggests, Quote;
People with flulike symptoms can protect their pets with the same precautions used to minimize transmission of virus between humans. Such measures include washing hands thoroughly, particularly before handling the pet or preparing food; covering coughs and sneezes; and avoiding close contact with the pet during the course of illness.
It is common for pets to share beds and other furniture with humans, and this should be avoided during an illness. :)
For the complete article here is the link.
http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ … ne-flu/?em
As I stated at the start of this thread the cat that tested possitive for the H1N1 was living with owners who tested positive and had flu symtoms. It's not MY intent to incite panic in anyone reading this thread. Nor am I panicked. My question to Teddy Talkers was simply whether any are worried or concerned.

puca bears puca bears

I guess it's really just something to be aware of. Touch wood - we've escaped the flu so far..........so Fuchsia is safe. Incidentally, when she got a sore throat and swollen glands  (AND stopped eating) earlier this year out vet did mention that cats can catch colds and flu from humans.
huggies
Maria

Us Bears Pennsylvania
Bubble-Up Bears wrote:

People with flulike symptoms can protect their pets with the same precautions used to minimize transmission of virus between humans. Such measures include washing hands thoroughly, particularly before handling the pet or preparing food; covering coughs and sneezes; and avoiding close contact with the pet during the course of illness.

Absolutely agreed!   bear_thumb

While I was concerned to hear the news, after reading on the subject, I'm not very worried.  As long as people use common sense, I don't think this flu outbreak will be much problem for the majority of people.

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

My friend (another cat fosterer) had swine flu and all her animals - cats, bunnies, chickens and ducks were ok but knowing Cara, I'm pretty sure she was careful around them.  It is worrying because my furries are my kids and I'd hate to see them get ill because of me but I'm not going to stress about it unless I actually get the flu - if I do I'm pretty sure I'll be making my other half do all the chores with the animals anyway!  Hehe, if flu wasn't so horrible, it'd be a chance for a break from cleaning litter trays!!

Cyndee, if you have a working dog coat on Herbie, won't people be more likely to leave him alone or do they ignore it?

Murrieta, California

They act like they don't even see he's jacket!! And it says "Do not pet!!"  bear_wacko
If you look at my pictures on Facebook Gemma you will see pictures of Herbie with his jacket on. He doesn't go out in public without it. You would be surprised at how many people come up to him and say "Oh can I pet him?" as they are petting him!! And kids for the most part don't asked they just run up. When a child comes to me and asks if they can pet him I always thank them for asking first. Most of the time their parents are pleased that their child was polite and asked.:)
However one time a child asked and I told her no and explain to her why and thanked her for asking. She went back to her mothers shopping cart and I heard her mother asking her why she couldn't pet Herbie. The mother went and got the store manager and reported me to him for not letting her daughter pet my dog. The manger came and told me about it and was beside himself that she thought he should force me into letting her daughter pet my dog or I should be asked to leave the store!! bear_sad

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I don't care whether the dog is a working dog or a pet.  All people, children especially, should always ask before approaching a dog... ANY DOG!

You don't know if the dog is friendly or not.  You could get bitten.

If it's a working dog you could distract it.  If the dog is distracted, its master could get hurt.
(Yes, I know working dogs are trained so they don't get distracted but the point is still valid.)

Finally, and most importantly, IT'S NOT YOUR DOG!
You don't pet somebody else's dog without permission!  Period!  It's rude!
Parent's who don't teach their children manners really frost my shorts!
If I pulled something like that when I was a kid, I would have gotten an a$$-whipping!  I don't necessarily believe in that kind of discipline today but I think I make my point:  Kids need to use manners around other people.

BTW:  I know you already know this but working dogs are allowed in almost all public places by law.  If that store manager would have thrown you out without a COMPELLING reason the store could have gotten a stiff fine!

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website
Bubble-Up Bears wrote:

They act like they don't even see he's jacket!! And it says "Do not pet!!"  bear_wacko
If you look at my pictures on Facebook Gemma you will see pictures of Herbie with his jacket on. He doesn't go out in public without it. You would be surprised at how many people come up to him and say "Oh can I pet him?" as they are petting him!! And kids for the most part don't asked they just run up. When a child comes to me and asks if they can pet him I always thank them for asking first. Most of the time their parents are pleased that their child was polite and asked.:)
However one time a child asked and I told her no and explain to her why and thanked her for asking. She went back to her mothers shopping cart and I heard her mother asking her why she couldn't pet Herbie. The mother went and got the store manager and reported me to him for not letting her daughter pet my dog. The manger came and told me about it and was beside himself that she thought he should force me into letting her daughter pet my dog or I should be asked to leave the store!! :(

I was brought up never to pet unknown dogs but these days I get loads of kids running up to stroke Poppy.  Often their parents are with them and I have to tell them that she's in training and can't be fussed - How do these people know that my dog won't bite them?  Poppy does have behaviour issues and has a personal trainer (lol) and I'd rather kids didn't jump all over her!  Plus the parents should be protecting their kids!

Murrieta, California

So true Gemma! bear_original

Us Bears Pennsylvania

When my theater is on summer break (it's a college theater) the local police sometimes use it to train their police dogs.  They'll bring scent canisters and hide them in various locations throughout the auditorium for the dogs to find.

Hey!  As far as I'm concerned, it's a great idea!  If there's ever trouble in a theater (especially MY theater bear_happy ) the dogs will now how to maneuver between the rows of seats and all around the stage equipment.  Everybody benefits.  :thumbup:

Even during the summer, there are still students and members of the public around.  When they dogs go in, there is always an officer at the doorway.  If anybody tries to go in the theater or approach the dogs while they are on call, the handler yells, "Dog Working!"  You wouldn't believe the reaction of all the people in the area!  They all snap their heads around and look.  It's a sight.   bear_cool

So, I'm just wondering if you could use that technique in any way.
You're not a cop and you don't have that kind of authority but I don't think most people will make the differentiation if you use something similar.

How about, if somebody approaches your dog, you simply say in a polite but firm voice, "Sorry, dog working."  Then just keep right on going about your business and ignoring the other person?

Yes, it might feel a little bit rude at first but you've got to ask yourself who's really the rude one?

I think you have the right to reject unwanted attention from other people who would distract your dog from his duty.  Dont' you?  Sure, politeness is important.  It feels bad when you have to reject other people in that way but I've found that, if you don't stand up for yourself, people are likely to walk all over you.

Board footer