Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I told the hubs about what you all had said about snipers and he decided this morning to watch the end of an auction for a little artist teddy baby.

It was $195 up until 8 seconds to go....(I wanted it to go over $200 so badly and was disappointed )

It hadn't moved at all for days.

Then 2 bidders with multiple bids ( maybe automatic)  fought it out in the last 8 seconds and took it up to $216.00 and change....(I don't remember)

In 8 seconds

IN 8 SECONDS       38.png

Now I am happy because I wanted this seller to get more than $200.....its a psychological thing, but I'm sure you all understand.

Hubster said that it taught him that if he wants something, really wants it, it taught him he has to make his highest bid high enough that he is sure to get it.....Or as high as he thinks he can afford......

But then he said that sort of happened with a gift he bought recently.....he decided what he thought it should go for and then added another $50 because he didn't want to take any chances and knew he had to be at work.  But it did get bid up at the last min.  Just that the other person wasn't willing to go high enough.  (Now I am really curious, but don't have a way to find out......nosey-nellie-here)

While this was going on this morning I was remembering that Kimmy said she liked sniping......yikes.....now I know I couldn't do it....more power to you Kimmy, I was on pin and needles and it wasn't my auction or going to be my bear....but the seller is my friend and I am tickeled pink for her.

This is al so very interesting to me.

I guess there is a psychology behind when you post your item, how you post, where you post....etc.

This coming year is going to be my really-learn-about-e-bay-and-actually- sell-something year!

Hey Sue Annnnn......wanna join me?  n025.gif

hugs

dilu

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hellooo Wonkywoo  bear_thumb

I quite often snipe auctions, it's really easy.

Open 3 pages of the auction and keep switching and refreshing the pages between the 3 of them to make sure you have the REAL remaining time - when you get down to 3 minutes get your bid ready on one page but DON'T hit the confirm button so you can change it if the bids go up - keep switching between the 2 auction pages, then when you're ready to bid, usually within the last 10 seconds hit the confirm button and BOBS YER AUNTIE WONKS - YOU GENERALLY WIN THE ITEM!!!

Anyways that what i do if i desperately want the item :redface:

Saddo Penny  bear_whistle

PenPen!  I love yournew little avatarbear!  He is adorable!

I do that for the smilies....I have 2 pages of smilies I go back and forth between.....so yes, I understand what you mean....(did it occur to me to do that with e-bay... :doh:  :redface:

I'll have to show the hubs

except then he might spend more time on the computer...yikes!

dilu

Sue Annnnnnnnn    gonna join me in learning how to win at ebay sales?

Hey Penny, the hubs is all excited to try your method now........have we created a monster?  Who knows.....

dilu

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I always wait til the last seconds to bid on something. I've gotten very good at it so I usually win! I've never tried Penny's idea though. When I first started sniping my fiancee helped me. In the early days I even used a stop watch to track my timing. I don't have to use it anymore though...hee hee.  Also, have you noticed when you refresh the page the counter doesn't change. So towards the end of an auction check the counter and when you refresh the page and the counter does change...you know you've got company there waiting for those last seconds!

Yeah let him try it Wonkywoo - he'll get hooked so yes, maybe we have made a monster  :redface:   :pray:   :twisted:

Don't let him bid on rubbish though Wonks - tell him he's only allowed to buy you bears/mohair/gollywollikin bits using this method
bear_tongue

Let us know how he gets on with it  bear_thumb

Penny  :hug:

Deb Upstate New York
gotobedbears wrote:

I quite often snipe auctions, it's really easy.

It's the only way!  :clap:
It's good for me cuz I get what I want, and good for the seller because his price just went up!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Ususally you get a lower price if you snipe at the last minute! (than if you would have been bidding all along)

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Penny I love your new avatar ........... the bear is so cute. I am very new to ebay but my daughter is on there alot and gets some wonderful bargains

Alll so very interesting- I am looking forward to learning everything I can about e-bay  this year......do any of you know if there is a good, reliable book?

dilu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I bet there is an "Ebay for Dummies" book... not saying that you are a dummy, dilu, far from it... but those books are helpful!

o080.gif laughing-smiley-017.gif o020.gif laughing-smiley-012.gif g080.gif

I had already checked Amazon....there are a lot of books.....but rather than buy 5 mediocre books I would like to buy one that is really good......

you are so funny Kimmy..... :hug:  :hug:

dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I bet there is an "Ebay for Dummies" book

There IS an eBay for Dummies book... just FYI.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH . . . Dilu - don't think my nerves can handle sniping!!  Also, I still am afraid . . . very afraid . . . of selling my stuff on ebay.  I'm a wuss, I know, but I've got toooooo many irons in the fire right now to even think of something new . . . my brain would surely explode and it would be an awful mess!

0764570595.01._OU02._PE40_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Here's the proof Wonks - eBay for Dummies a book you can't possibly live without
:dance:

Penny  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Pen..... great sniping method... never thought of that! Can't wait to try!

I too love your new avatar!!!

Deb Upstate New York

Penny ~

I use just two open pages; what's the third for?

1 for placing a bid Deb - the other 2 are for refreshing constantly to keep up with real time. Quite often the time is not in real auction time. Try watching an auction with this method and see how the time seems to do a flip in the final minute Deb - especially in the last few 20 seconds. Check it out and let me know if you notice the 'blip' in times.

Penny - sniper extraordinaire  bear_grin   bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I snipe with one page LOL - quick fingers, quick fingers LOL  bear_grin

I used to do it that way Kim but sometimes the page can freeze and then you lose out - having multiple pages open cuts this out.

Pen  bear_wub

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LOL - I will have to try this!  bear_laugh

You guys.... :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Well Sue Ann.....I'll give it a go and you can see how it goes for me....as a fledgling, trying her wings.....

but I still have to get a book......but a good book......someone must know which book is the best.......

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I've got a program that snipes for me. I just set my max. bid and how many seconds before end of auction and then it does it all on its own. Um, unless I let my computer go to sleep. :doh:

Sabine

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I HATE WHEN PEOPLE USE A PROGRAM TO HELP THEM SNIPE!!! THAT ISNT FAIR PLAY! THATS CHEATING LMAO

Board footer