Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Can someone help?
Photos are not that good as I took them with my mobile.
An elderly lady( in her 80's) brought me her Grandmother's teddy bear.
The bear has a  tin/metal frame which was then covered with mohair. Very little of the pile is left, just the backing.
Eyes and nose are metal and the bear is jointed with a tiny metal rod. It measures approx 4-5".

We seem to date it back to the 1888.

In all the books I ahve I have never seen a picture of this little bear, and not much coming up on a web search.
tin_teddy_2_Desktop_Resolution.JPG
Tin_Teddy_Desktop_Resolution.JPG

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

wow what an excellent wee bear. I've never seen one like this before. ...Mmmm mystery......

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

The bear seems to be modeled on a stuffed teddy bear. I wouldn't think it would pre-date the teddy. (Earlier bears, as I understand it, were more realistic, i.e. on all fours, and perhaps on a rolling platform to be used as pull toys.)

Is the 1888 date based on family stories?

Good luck!

Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Does the Bear have any mechanical features?
What does the "little rod" do?  What does it look like?  Could that little rod be his wind-up?  If his "little rod" isn't a wind-up, might it be possible that it is a "Yes-No" mechanism?  Look for a voice box or to see if his head and arms move.  We are wondering if he's a mechanical Bear.

We agree with the others.  We aren't convinced that he was made in the 1880's.  We're thinking more like 1900 to 1920.
First, his proportions don't seem right for a Bear of the 1880's vintage.  He'd be more bruin-like instead of Teddy-like.  Secondarily, his body shape seems to indicate that there is something else inside him that makes him move or make sounds, etc.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Thanks for the help.
As far as I could make out, no mechanism. The rods only allows for the arms and legs to move. The tummy does not have anything in it except for the original filler. I did not open the tummy as the bear is so fragile. If I was to try restoring, I would just place a little wood wool inside. One would have to be very careful thou.

The owner is in her 80's so would be born round 1929. She said the bear belonged to her grand mother ? who died young aged 65, about 1924, hence her saying the bear could be pre 1900.

Schuco did tin bears covered with mohair, as yet not found anything under them.

thanks again Lynette

Board footer