Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I was recently asked to participate in a Gallery Show.  There were no show fees but the Gallery does charge a commission.  I sent in the six pieces that were promised and right off I felt a little uneasy about the way the show was being promoted. It seemed the promoter (not on this forum) was really concentrating on promoting a few "choice" artists and the new artists (like me) were kind of being ignored.  Then, it happened. The promoter took pictures of all the items and put them in an online store (which I knew they were going to do). Well, the items that were being promoted are almost sold out even though the Grand Opening of the event is not until tonight and supposedly the online store does not open until tomorrow.  The pictures of the artists pieces that were being promoted are lovely whereas the pictures of the new artists are terrible and the pictures of my pieces are awful to the point where I am even embarrassed to let people know about the whole thing on my Blog.  I take real pride in my work and it hurts me that my pieces were treated this way.  I almost feel like contacting the promoter this morning before the show opens and just telling them to pack them up and send them home.  What do you guys think?

P.S. This is the first show I've done in over a year and I thought it would be perfect since I could send the items in and not attend which has kind of added to my disappointment.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Sorry that happened to you.  I'd ask to get them sent back - she's doing you no favours with how she's diaplaying and promoting you.

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

Hi Lisa,

bear_ermm This sounds like a no win situation to me.  The bottom line is that you are not comfortable with the way your work is being presented and it is your name on your company so you have every right to pull the items out at the last minute.  Although you might be surprised at the turnout since your adorable cuties will stand on their own without any special promotion or fancy photos!  :hug:   I would simply tell the promoters of the event exactly what you have expressed here and chalk it up to a lesson learned.  Why do we never listen to our inner voices? bear_rolleyes   Good luck!

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Lisa,
I visited your blog and went to the web show.  Jeez could they have ironed the back drop???  Anyhow, despite the photography, I think the absolute cutness of your creations shines through.  Go ahead and do the show.  Who knows, you may find a new collector or two.  If they don't sell, they can send them back.  Perhaps in the future, you can ask if you can provide your own photography. 

Hugs,
Alison

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I am in total agreement with Alison.  I went to the show.  I think your creations look adorable.  They may not look as adorable as you know they can be.  (only the creator can know that)    But to me they are wonderful.  Best of luck with the show.  Next time ask if you can photograph your own work.  I think I would have a hard time with anyone elses photos of my work too.
Joanne

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

I know you are feeling uneasy about the whole situation--it sounds like it was very poorly handled.  But I also agree with Alison and Joanne.  I went to your blog and then visited the show.  Your little guys still stand out even with the poor photography--I know that your photos would make them shine even more than they already do.  They are simply adorable and, who knows, you might find a new collector. 

Good luck with making a decision.
Warmly,
Cheryl

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Thank you all so much.  I feel kind of silly sniveling about that all night but it did kind of bother me.  I will for sure ask if I can submit my own photos next time.  It is hard to let other people photograph your work because you are connected with that work on so many different levels.  I've decided to hang in there and if they ask again next year I will let them know how I feel.

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice and support. :hug:

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

theyre easily in the top 10 percent of cuteness on the page!! I'm sure they will sell fast!! let us know how you go!

puca bears puca bears

Oh Lisa - how rotten for you! I can sort of empathise, with competition bears appearing in print, cropped beyond recognition, and/or with the caption left off........you feel so disappointed, frustrated and powerless.
I hope they DO sell well - your little cuties are so good!
big huggies
Maria

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
puca bears wrote:

Oh Lisa - how rotten for you! I can sort of empathise, with competition bears appearing in print, cropped beyond recognition, and/or with the caption left off........you feel so disappointed, frustrated and powerless.
I hope they DO sell well - your little cuties are so good!
big huggies
Maria

Thanks Maria!  So far one sold -- one of the Pocket Protectors.  The show runs until January 6th so I hope they do okay!

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Lisa your bears are adorable. I have always loved them.  bear_wub
But I don't blame you for being upset. I haven't seen the pictures but I trust what Joanne says and I'm sure they are good. But if you are not happy that's what really matters. Live and learn as they say and I guess you can look at this as a lesson learned.
As a collector when I'm shopping for a bear the pictures are the most important part. If they are blurring, out of focus or haphazardly put together I will move on and not even give the bear a second look. So I can understand your concern. You are use to the best pictures taken of your lovely creations and anything less is upsetting. But like you said, next time you will see to sending your own pictures.
Best of luck with the show and Happy Holidays!!!

Board footer