Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

ToyboxArts Posts: 61

Hi everyone,
I was wondering what your reasons are either for selling your patterns, or choosing not to sell.
Does it affect the sales of your finished creations?

The reason I ask is my husband suggested I should sell my monkey pattern and I'm considering it.
Thanks bear_original

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Sorry, I'm not much help.  Personally, I couldn't sell my patterns as I don't make a proper pattern to start with.  I have a basic drawing to guide me to get the shape I want, but there are parts I don't draw out and the thread sculpting, etc, makes such a difference to my finished creation. 

I think your monkey pattern would appeal to a lot of buyers... I'm sure someone with experience in selling patterns will help you out.  bear_original

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi,

I do sell patterns, but not of the bears I am creating for my own website.  I enjoy designing other patterns for sale.  Sorry I can't help with how it would affect sales.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Ya know, I have always shared my patterns with anyone who wanted them...I suppose I will do the same with my bears.  I just do not want to charge for this.  I am a person who hates yard sales...if I have something I don't need and someone else wants it they are welcome to it.
Guess I'm strange.  I get very unhappy looking through e-bay for teddy bear supplies...hundreds of patterns!  A lot of them at exorbitant prices too...

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Hi,
I do sell some of my patterns but they are only the patterns that I created for sale, if that makes sense!   I designed the bears, bunny, and cat patterns only to sell, the pictures of the finished products on the patterns were the prototype on each one and I very rarely revisit the patterns that I sell!   I don't think it hurt my sales at all, in fact the patterns helped!  Good luck.
Hugs & Blessings,
Janice

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

i do not sell my patterns. I have heard too many people sell their patterns then see another "artist" selling the bears from the pattern...I'm really attached to my work, i have a hard enough time selling my bears LOL!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Here is my experience and suggestion to your question.   The only patterns I sell are from past projects I have done in past magazine editions usually from a proto bears I have made, my patterns change and evolve each time I do a bear and its great to share your techniques with others.  Its really is up to you if you want to sell your bears, or you want to sell patterns only, my preference is to sell my bears.   From my experience if I have sold patterns at shows, I find it does hamper your bear sales on the day.   Selling patterns is great for people that want to make bears, and learn bearmaking and  for you to share some of your techniques.  My only concern with selling patterns of unique items is duplication and alteration of your work.   If I can make a suggestion, I would share techniques in preference to selling patterns on unique designs.  I have seen others share techniques on their websites and blog sites which is a fabulous idea.  Hope your find this helpful.  :hug:

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Good idea Karen...techniques are great.  Patterns, however, are available by the thousands and you can take a basic pattern from a book and make it into hundreds of different bears just by altering the pieces...the techniques, however, you must learn from someone!

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

I haven't sold any of my patterns but I have designed a couple of patterns for magazines.  Again, like most said, these are not patterns for bears I would create to sell.  I designed the pattern specifically for the magazine and I think it's best as an artist to keep it that way.  If you think your monkey pattern is special and you worked hard on it, keep it for yourself.

Hugs,
Alison

Board footer