Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

My bossy mother has requested a panda.  I finally broke down and ordered mohair for it which should arrive today...that is if UPS can get here through the freezing rain.    bear_grin

I know this topic has already been discussed...but can/would anyone please...pretty please...I need visual help here...post some photos of how you do it.  I'm tempted to just paint them on rather than trying to sew them.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

WAI-LINN-standing-front.jpgEMORYcloseup-cropped.jpgPANDA-standing.jpgActually, painting them on is a viable option.  I've never made a "real" eyepatch for my pandas and I like the outcome quite a lot.

However, if you're determined to do a fabric patch, I remember Winney, I think it was, offering a particularly great tip.  She suggested cutting out an eye patch and then using a matching fabric on the reverse; placing right sides together; stitching closed; turning; then finishing shut.  What you end up with is a mohair eye patch on one side, and a backing on the other side.

Why would you want this, you ask... when no one will see the back side?

Well, because it finishes the edges of your eye patch so beautifully, before you attach it to the stuffed head as an applique (rather than creating a separate pattern piece for it, and fiddling with those measurements and seam allowances.

If I ever did "real" eye patches, I'd use this method of appliqueing my patches AFTER stuffing and closing my "usual" bear head.

Have fun, and I hope this made sense.

Am posting some pics of my painted-patch-pandies.

bear_original

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Hi Shantelle. Well I like to cut a small piece from my side head patterns and then I hand sew the small piece in by hand in the opposite color. Hope this helps.

0A1PATTERN.jpg

0a1tani4.jpg  0a1sming.jpg

Many Hugs Louise

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Shantell,
I find the way that Louise does the patches to be the easiest.  I would do it that way or paint them on. 
Donna

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

WOW!  Both ways to do it look great!  And there's also the applique method that Shelli mentioned!  So many ways to "get" that panda patch! 

The shaded "patch" has a really nice, soft look to it... and the shape of that little tan colored panda girl's head is just adorable Shelli... i don't think I've ever seen her before!

Louise...  those babies are the sweetest! 

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Marvelous wondrous bears....they are  so cute, nice soft shading , the eye areas do look so soft...I gotta try that !....Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

lomein.jpglingling.jpgI shade mine bear_original  I dont want to hand sew any more than I have to LOL

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

You could also needle felt the patches on
Hugs
Gail

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

LLeyes.jpgLing-ling-2-TT.jpgShantell, I like to sew the eye patches on. It's really easy. I don't know the correct stitch name, but I sew the eye patches on the same way I would sew the ears on. I think it works great, and no-one ever knows how I do it.
For some reason I prefer to match the eye patches perfectly, so I must use the matching mohair.
But see in these pics??? Can't really tell they have been sewn on.

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Heather, your panda is such a sweetie! I love her colors and yes, I can't tell that  bear_grin  bear_laugh you sew patches  on.

Julia :hug:

I have to sew panda some day too!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Julia for the kind comments. Glad you can't tell  bear_tongue  bear_tongue
You would make a great panda, you should try...

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Beautiful bears all of you have made.... and great photos ! I must learn how to get my photos up......Winney

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

cho-ice.jpgZizzi.jpgFortuneCookie.jpgPing-Pong.jpgSimply.jpgzizzihead4.jpgI've tried a couple of different options.  Sometimes I cut patches and hand stitch into 'eye holes' which I've cut from the main head piece.  Other times I just airbrush - then there are the times when I use both options together!  Whichever way I do it, I still can't avoid the fact that I hate handstitching in eye patches!!  :cry:

By the way, don't forget, there's always the 'non eye patched panda' option!!

Hudson, Ohio

What fabulous Pandas Paula!!!!  Lots of different, fabulous looks!  I can recognize one of your big cuddly guys anywhere.. they are all so different, but all so YOU! 
I think I am getting to the point where I need to try mixing some mohair colors to make a panda.... I always have fairly big "scraps" left over, and they are just begging to be "pandacized!"  I've never done a bear using two (or more) different colors of mohair!  This is so inspirational!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild thyme Originals

Kent
Website

CupCake.jpgAw Kim, you say the nicest things!  Incorporating more than one colour into a bear is always good fun - it frees you to develop your work even further than before.  I love playing around with different fabrics, colours and piles.  In fact, you've just made me think - we don't have a multi-coloured bear thread going here yet do we?  I'll dig out a couple of pics and get one started!

Hudson, Ohio

YEA!!!! Great new topic Paula!  I'm off to see!!!!!!

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

marie Debonaire Bears
Virginia, USA

www.debonairebears.com\images\pandagirl.JPG
Here is my first non-fur bear.  I just cut the patches out of the same denim and glued them on with fabric glue.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What a COOL pandy, Marie!!  bear_cool   bear_cool   bear_cool

Kent
Website

Marie your denim panda is so dignified!  I really like him!

Hudson, Ohio

Marie... I like him too!!! Very nicely done!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I'm working on a panda right now too and am going to try the sewn on eye patches .Hope it works out. I know,I know,we want pictures. Patience my friends  bear_wub   bear_wub

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

For my big head pandas I just use felt of a matching colour, it worked out great! I just attached them with my eyes. That is to say that I threaded the eyes and then strung the felt on too.
peppermint.jpg
Everyone has come up with great suggestions.
I like the idea of lining the mohair patch with fabric and then applying. Shading is a favorite of my mum's. Airbrushing is a wonderful thing.

Board footer