Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Have any of you ever used a dog wheelchair for any of your dogs, I'd love some feedback if you have. My little boy is gradually loosing the use of his back legs. It breaks my heart to see him trying to walk, he wobbles around as if he is drunk. He can no longer jump up onto my lap for a cuddle or climb up stairs. We took him for a walk on Saturday and he fell over so many times that I could have cried. Bless his heart, he is such a sweetheart and loves his walks, so that is why I am looking at how to help him. The picture below shows at what I am thinking of getting for Chunky, but what I want to know is how the heck does a dog manage to go to the toilet whilst usuing the wheelchair?

Chunky-wheels.jpg

Hugs, Jane.

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Hi, I found this site when I was looking up three legged cats, perhaps you could ask for advice on their forum.

http://handicappedpets.com/www/index.php

Forum:  http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/

puca bears puca bears

Hi Jane
sorry I can't offer any advice - just wanted to say how sorry I am about Chunky. I know how heart.breaking it is to see the deterioration - as you know, Nounours has a similar problem. Se is still quite happy, as she doesn't realise that anything is wrong......but it's so hard to watch her getting ever more unsteady on her back legs.
hope you can manage to find a suitable "doggy carriage"
big huggies
Maria :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Yes good luck with Chunky and you are an angel!  I took a look at these a few years ago when our whippet Isis was paralyzed.  We ended up not needing it as she regained most of her motion with physical therapy.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh bless you Jane, I have seen a ton of dogs using these, hope it will help your fur baby!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Hi Jane, I do hope you are able to help Chunky with his mobility problem.  It just breaks your heart when they can't get around like they used to.  We have a lady in our neighbourhood who takes her little old dog for a walk each day in a baby stroller, and he absolutely loves it!!!

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Hi Jane,
When I had my pet shop we groomed several dogs over the years that used a wheelchairs. We had a Doxie and as you know they are low to the ground but he had one made for a smaller dog and we had 2 Goldens and a Springer Spaniel. Most we were grooming before they had to get a wheelchair and they seemed to take to them very fast. They can go to the bathroom without problems. The Doxie would take off running every time his owner came to pick him up! Tail waggin' and all. It was a riot!  I'm sure you will get all the info you need from the sites others here have posted.
Do let us know how Chunky is doing. bear_original

Board footer