Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

teddyretirementhome Woo Bears
toronto

Hi everybody

I'm so glad that this site exists and everyone is so wonderfully helpful. bear_original

I've learned about hand sewing a running backstitch and how it affects the alignment of my mohair pieces and can create a twist to the seam, as well as how it makes the mohair 'travel' so that one side can end up shorter than the other.

So! Today I've been trying to machine sew a bear on my trusty Singer Featherweight. The mohair is quite thick and curly/wavy. My problem now is:

Even though I pin the sides together very carefully - not too frequently or too little - and the fabric edges are aligned, the fabric pieces slide, but not together equally.  Waah! bear_sad

Any suggestions on how to keep the mohair pieces from sliding against each other while I have it going through the sewing machine?  I do guide the fabric through but I don't fight against the feed.

Thanks so much in advance, teddy angels!

Brenda
teddyretirementhome

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Hi Brenda

Do you trim your seam allowance right back to the backing ? I have used a baste stitch in a contrast colour (so I can see it to pull out after) to hold temporarily if I machine stitch. Most of the time I hand stitch though. Hope this is of some help.

Raewyn

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Like Raewyn I trim the seam allowance back to the backing and baste with running stitch.  It works down to about 4-5" for me (any smaller and I just have to hand sew)

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I trim seam allowances and use an overhand stitch.  Stitches don't move.  I then remove those stitches in head when I am done sewing.
Joanne

teddyretirementhome Woo Bears
toronto

Thanks so much for your advice - I have to take these extra steps and be more patient! bear_original

The mohair I'm working with is like butter!  bear_original

Bramblewoodbears Bramblewood Bears
Brooklyn, Washington

Good question!  I have found as others have posted, that clipping the fur on the seam allowance really helps to keep the fur from traveling and sliding while you are sewing...also I pin the heck out of the problem areas...usually corners and curves.  Another option for very silky furs, is to baste stitch the pieces together and then remove the base stitch after you have sewn them together.  I think of all these, clipping the fur has helped me the most....it can really reduce bulk of the seam on bears that have very long or thick fur.  Hope that helps!
Tomi

Board footer