Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

teddyretirementhome Woo Bears
toronto

I've been having a ball shading some of  my bears with Copic markers that I recently bought.  Love the fact that they appear to be translucent, and love the blending pen.

But the areas that I've shaded, after drying, are kind of crunchy!

Is there a way to fix this, so that the mohair feels the same all over?

Cheers and thanks (again!)  bear_smile

Brenda
teddyretirementhome

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Brush it!  I find that that will help. I often use hair gel which goes really crunchy but after brushing it out it keeps the hair style but the mohair goes soft again.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use prismacolor markers and it is the same.  I tend to shade paw pads and just small areas of mohair with them.  I save the larger areas for shading for acrylic paint for just that reason.
Joanne

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Hi all,

I've returned to fabric dye markers because they are more "forgiving" then the Prisma and don't leave the fur stiff, blend beautifully without a blender, and respond to shading out with a paint brush beautifully.  Just works better for me.

I bought several of the blender pens for the Prisma and after using once, they were permanently discolored and useless so I didn't see the point of them.  I guess I haven't figured out how to use them.  Can you use just alcohol?  Dipped in a paint brush?

I have never worked with paints but was a pastelist so I am more comfortable using the markers to work on the bears I guess.

I do like using the Prisma on the paw pads if I am going for a 'graphic' effect rather than a blended effect.  I think, for me it depends on what you want to do...mixing the mediums on the bears seems fine.  I have liquid fabric dye which I have also used a brush to apply to large areas as well. 

All I know is that something magical happened the first time I put 'makeup' on a bear...it breathed life into it...and for me that was the moment I REALLY became excited about making bears.  It's still my favorite part of the process.

Pat

PS-my poor computer of five faithful years died last month and I am now back among the computer capable on a new laptop with all the latest whizbangs  bear_wub  Much catching up to do (in both fields bear_grin )

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Pat, where did you find the fabric dye markers.  I want some
Joanne

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

I get mine at Jo Anne's Fabrics..."Fabric Mate"... the product comes in two size markers and in squeeze bottles...and is specifically for use on fabrics.

Not knowing anything about it in the beginning, I just 'assumed' one would use fabric dyes to color furs and sought out fabric dyes.  It never occurred to me that I could use other things on the fur. 

I use them on synthetics.  You may get a different color initially sometime which will change as the dye sets...to become the correct color.  Also, the dyes seem to 'sink' or be absorbed into the fiber and require reapplication next day until you obtain the intensity you desire. 

Pat

Board footer