Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

JanetB Posts: 112

What is the best type of knot to tie?  I tried using a reef knot but it tended slip.  When I googled reef knots the info I gleaned was that a reef knot is not a good one to use. Many thanks.
bear_wacko

Fallenrose near Cologne

I think it depends on the function the knot will have. What do you want to make with the knot, do you want to anchor a thread (for example) or something else?

Greets, Ariane

The knots I'm thinking about are the ones when using a double thread to attach the eyes, and the instructions say to tie the threads together.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I don't know the names of knots but what I do for tying eye floss/thread together is to bring the ends together then tie a knot as if it was one piece of thread. Just like you'd do to anchor thread when closing up seams. I usually do a double knot to be sure it doesn't slip because if you are using sinew it does tend to slip. Make sense?

Fallenrose near Cologne

That's exactly what I'm doing too and it is working for me

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I usually put the eyes in before I attached the head.  I know some people put the eyes in afterwards.  But I just stuff the head most of the way, place the eyes then pull and just tie a normal knot in the ends, I usually tie 4-5 of them though and never had the eyes come out or lose on me.  It works really well and when I cross the threads over the first time, like starting to tie your shoelace, it gives me a chance to really pull the eyes in.  Kind of reminds me off watching movies when you see someone tying a corset, that's what I think it must be like, pull really hard and knot. *laugh*

Thanks for your help everyone. bear_original

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

To keep threads from slipping when I'm tying knots I use a Surgeon's Knot.  Here's a picture of how they are made:

http://www.beadingtimes.com/dagger/surgeonsknot.jpg

/miniteddyhugs,

Thanks for the diagram of the surgeon's knot. I found a video of same but it was difficult to follow.  The diagram makes it clear.

Board footer