Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

TreaclePud.jpgToodle.jpgDotty.jpgBentley2.jpgSweetdreamsbody.jpgTip-Tophead.jpgMouse2.jpgCafe-au-lait.jpgAbracadabra.jpgKetchupjnr.jpgAfter talking panda patches on another thread, I was inspired by Kim to start a thread about developing plain coloured bears using colour/fabric/pile combinations ... here are some pics to get the ball rolling and provide a little food for thought for anyone who feels the urge explore a little odds 'n ends experimentation!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Beautiful bears Paula..hey, this will be fun..I dont have any multi colored bears so this will inspirational....Winney

Kent
Website

Thanks Winney! 

I'm looking forward to seeing where this thread takes us - we should see some interesting work I think!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oooh...Paula...I love them.  This is what I'm hoping to do with some of my scraps.  Your biggin's certainly are inspirational...

I have to have an All Bear someday...soon!!!   bear_wub  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Texie.jpgTTTuttiFrutti.jpgTTRaye.jpgTTLatte-Mocha.jpgTTHeritage-Hare.jpgTTDinYou.jpgTTConfetti-Cubs.jpgTTButterscotch.jpgWow, Paula . . . what stupendous, outstanding bears!!  This is a fun thread . . . thanks for starting it.  I found a few non-traditional color combinations in my bear gallery.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Paula - AWESOME BEARS!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the purpleish blue one on the very bottom left... my fav...

SueAnn - AWESOME BEARS AND BUNNY! I LOVE your bunny!!! I saw him today when I was browsing through the colors/types of mohair!!!  OOOH LOVE THE PINKISH ONE TOO.... WOW!!!.... YOU KEEP POSTING, I KEEP ADDING COMMENTS LOL... and love the gal with the bow on her head too....

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Thank you so much Paula for starting this new thread!  And to Sue Ann for her fabulous photo contributions as well!  I think about 5 new bears were just born in my head!  I just went through the "bottom of the bin" scraps the other day, and thought... here's half a bear, i could get maybe 3/4 of a bear from this one..... I save anything that looks big enough for an ear...!  Now I need to just get my butt movin' on these commissioned bears I have on the table so I can go play with some scraps!   bear_tongue   THANK YOU!  From the bottom of my heart, and from the bottom of my mohair bin as well!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild tHyme Originals

marie Debonaire Bears
Virginia, USA

Wonderful bears!  I especially like the ones with the muzzle a different color from the rest of the face.  Sue Ann, your brown and white bear on the very bottom of the post really speaks to me!  You ladies have given me lots of ideas, now I just need to get my scraps out.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

SiennaSidesm2.jpgkeeper.jpgRocky-Full-Namesm.jpgFrist one is Rocky Road... I made him early in my bear making career. I LOVE making scrap bears. They are always the first to sell at shows. No two are ever alike and they can have such an interesting look! Third picture, Sienna... I didn't have enough of the mohair to do the whole bear so used leather as well.

PS. Sorry about the different sized photos!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Splash-of-Colour.JPGCupful-of-Courage.JPG:clap: What gorgeous bears!!!!   :clap:  I can't say which are my favorites....

Here's a couple of my different coloured bears...

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

That's "Cupful of Courage" on top...she's sheared beaver (dark) and blonde beaver .... yes, I've heard all the jokes  bear_rolleyes 

The second bear is "Splash of Colour" made of bone and blue mist muskrat furs.

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

What wild and wonderful creations!! I love them!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

You all never cease to amaze and delight with your talent and creativity!

hugs,

Kent
Website

How exciting to log in here this morning and find all these wonderful creations! 

So glad you are inspired Kim - I am looking forward to seeing the birth of all the new scrap bears.

It seems that imagination is the only limitation for great new work!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Wow,girls,some wonderful pictures and so much inspiration! I read the panda patch thread last night and Paula suggested this thread. I'm amazed at how fast you girls are and how wonderfully you all share. :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

great bears ..great thread!  i just went thru also and cut up what scraps i had left into any bear pattern pieces that i could use them for! paula would you mind explaining to me about the paws and heads? if you stuff a bear as hard as most  artists i know..how do you get that close together look  in the eyes?  if its too soft when you pull  it together,,the head would just collapse woudnt it? and i i have a down turned paw pad on my first design..but anytime i try and give it that extra .."turn" inward i get all balled up!! is that a joint?  happy new year to everyone!!  deb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

knitties-020.jpgHUMPHREY_openmouth.jpgPaula , Sue Ann, Daphne, and Deb,
Super pictures!   How creative of you with all your color combinations.  I bet this will inspire many people to use up those extra peices of moahir and fur.

I have a couple of pictures.  This is a rabbit...a very large rabbit over 30 " made from rabbit fur with alpaca wool cheeks.EASTERBUNNY.jpg

Kent
Website
heartsez wrote:

great bears ..great thread!  i just went thru also and cut up what scraps i had left into any bear pattern pieces that i could use them for! paula would you mind explaining to me about the paws and heads? if you stuff a bear as hard as most  artists i know..how do you get that close together look  in the eyes?  if its too soft when you pull  it together,,the head would just collapse woudnt it? and i i have a down turned paw pad on my first design..but anytime i try and give it that extra .."turn" inward i get all balled up!! is that a joint?  happy new year to everyone!!  deb

Hi Deb, paws and heads eh?  Hmmmn.  Well, I don't think using scrap pieces for inserts really makes much difference to the stuffing, so long as they are sewn in properly, after all, if the seams on a one-colour head will withstand stuffing, so should any insert pieces.  I don't stuff my heads absolutely rock hard, I use a firm polyester filler and stuff so that I can still needlesculpt without any traumas occurring!

I'm not sure what to say about the turned down paw pads - maybe add a few pellets to the stuffing mix to give the area more flexibility?  I'm not sure - what does everyone else think?

I love all the pics that are arriving on this thread now - Judi that rabbit is outrageous!  bear_wub   

You are all so creative!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Kent
Website

MyIndulgence.jpgBeano.jpgCopperhead.jpgHimself2.jpgHubbub2.jpgJolly.jpgtiptoe.jpgTrueBrit4.jpgZinger.jpgI was just thinking about other variations on this theme ... here are a few more I've remembered!  I think it goes to show the possibilities are endless!!

Fairfax,Vermont

i guess i didnt say that very well..it wasnt really to do with the scraps..i just ran the whole sentence together!  i do very little needle sculpting..i try really hard to get a firm solid head stuffed..and then still seems like portions of it can cave if i pull too hard when im setting the eyes for instance..that dimple you get near the ears..not often..just every once in awhile..soooo i've always wondered how you balance that with pulling the eyes in towards each other like that,,andi can ususally "see" things in 3 d..but the paws bug me..i can see yours are long but the way they turn or cup towards each other at the end..are  they wired inside? cut that way? i did one small bear and didnt have enough to do her gusset in the same fur..so i used white..turned out way cute!!  deb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

daffydilly-sitting-3.jpgamelia1-2.jpgWow such inspiring bears from everyone.

My first attempt was Amelia; she is wearing my antique broach from my wedding and she is 2 differnt pinks.  I should say she was my first attempt at dying.....

Then theres daffydilly-he was kooladed; poor guy

UNFORTUNETLY  they were both prior to shop lights and light tents.....and it shows

Kent
Website
heartsez wrote:

i guess i didnt say that very well..it wasnt really to do with the scraps..i just ran the whole sentence together!  i do very little needle sculpting..i try really hard to get a firm solid head stuffed..and then still seems like portions of it can cave if i pull too hard when im setting the eyes for instance..that dimple you get near the ears..not often..just every once in awhile..soooo i've always wondered how you balance that with pulling the eyes in towards each other like that,,andi can ususally "see" things in 3 d..but the paws bug me..i can see yours are long but the way they turn or cup towards each other at the end..are  they wired inside? cut that way? i did one small bear and didnt have enough to do her gusset in the same fur..so i used white..turned out way cute!!  deb

It's hard to give advice about the head stuffing Deb - maybe it would be worth changing the type of filler you are using?  You need one that doesn't 'clump' too much as you stuff.  It isn't really necessary to stuff the head absolutely rock hard - a firm head with a little 'spring' to the stuffing is fine for needlesculpting.

As for the paws ... it really depends on whether you are using one piece, or two piece arms.  On one piece arms the outer arm generally needs to be slightly longer than the inner arm and then the paw pad is eased into place and this helps to curve the paw inwards.  On two piece arms, it might be worth trying to dart the wrist area - that pulls the paw round and you can alter the angle depending on how big you make the darts.  I think the most important thing to achieve what you want is a combination of a well designed arm shape and how it is stuffed.  I like to use a mix of polyester fibre and pellets. 

By the way, no I don't use any armature in my arms.

Fairfax,Vermont

i greatly appreciatte your taking the time to answer me!  thanks! it is hard to describe something that it would be easier to show!!  i use a filling right now that doesnt "slide"
when i stuff..but he darts in the arms i never would have thought of!! i like to try other peoples patterns every now ans then because i learn something new about bear construction ! another major artist ( sorry brain dead at the moment) had a book of patterns out that i love,,i thoought the first time i sewed one of her paws that i wasnt pinning it right until i realized that her paws are larger outside and smaller inside as you just said! i have tried glass beads in the feet but never beads in the "hands" hmmmm..  hope everytbody had?HAS a happy new year!! i turned 50 yesterday..didnt hardly hurt!!  hugs deb

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Dilly I love your pink bear - I 've never seen either bear before... love the koolaid colored mohair too bear_original

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

gg1.jpgWhat a fantastic thread! Such a creative bears! Paula, you have ALL colours, don't you!!??
Sue Ann i love that hare with flag. SOo cute!!

Judi, your hare is amazing!!

Dilu, Daphne, Debbie, your bears are great too!

I made multi colored bears only once. I like that I have to make more of them..  bear_grin  bear_wub

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Bravo everyone !!!!!!  How exiting to see all wonderful bears !!!
Thank you for  inspiration !  :clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

Board footer